Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the car looks badass but if my 4th Gen goes down I'm looking for another one.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Aaron's 00 TA]Tony, can you do something about the extra large watermark that masks the car? I don't mind a watermark, but i'd prefer one that didn't cover the entire car. Actually, since GM is allowing the pictures to be posted, you could just remove it all together. [/QUOTE

I second this request....please post a link w/ hi-res files
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, please quit complaining about the watermark. We do not have the original photos anymore, they were deleted. The images were posted to give you an idea of the clay concept car, you can see plenty even with the watermark in place.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not too bad and I hope GM is REALLY listening to us.

Once GM figures out why so many Mustangs sell, the new "Camaro" will be a big seller.

Does everyone remember the Hotwheels car called Muscle Tone from a few years back. I loved everything about that die cast car except the front.

- The rear had a hint of the 4th gen Camaro
- The front had it's own look
- The side looked like the "concept" pics that are posted

Good luck GM, make this an affordable car, not like the 4K over priced GTO.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over all the car looks good, I guess I am the only one to say this, I wish I was also looking at a Firebird Concept
Old 12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Launching!

if it looks like that, or even close, I am putting my deposit down tomorrow
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
Things that should be reviewed, my opinions:

Like many are saying. The tail lights, They are too small. If you made them round they would look like a corvette. The 2 piece is a very good idea, and from the photo shop look good.

Back-up lights and Front turn signals-Where are they? Where are they going to go.

Mirrors- Looks like someone put their hand in a sock and took a mold of it. The need to lessen the length, they are too thin. I like the ones in the photo shopped pic.

Side vents- All I see is a mustang. I know if they were removed it would mess up the lines. They look good, but something should be considered.

Door handle- Should be vertical, but horizontal may look good too, if up near the lines.

Rear Valence- Should be slightly lower, up too much. Maybe if it was silver you could better critique its postition, since its black it's hard to tell.

Wheels- Too big, maybe slightly smaller.

The trunk- Where are you going to put the spare tire?

T-tops- on this vehicle, would look badass.

Front Fascia- Right side looks better, black arrows look like consideration of placement. I wouldn't move them. If they were in the center it'd resemble the newer mustang.

Everything else looks great.

You picked up on the same things that I did really.

The likes....

Driver's side (right) front fascia is better than the passanger side (left) front fascia. The more agressive lower grille opening looks good and should function good too.

A-Pillar area is nice looking. The windshield isn't too low slung which should provide go visibility, less replacement cost.

Overall lines are nice. I like the fender flairs, but they should be more pronounced IMHO. I realise that this is a pic and a clay model, so hopefully we'll get some better shots or better flairs in metal.

B-Pilar Windows are awesome. I love that! Great retro hint, and it flows well with the car. That also lends to the roof lines, with the exception of the greenhouse area (see below).

Doors: I like the doors. They look long enough to allow engress and egress to the rear seats well enough for average to semi-big adults (ie not somone that's 5'7" but up to 6'2" and about 245~250).

The wheel style is nice, I like that, but they are too big (see below)

I think I'm forget a few things, but now to the dislikes...

Greenhouse / rear deck lid: Or the lack of a deck lid. I'm assuming that this is going to be another "hatched" coupe so, I'm not surprised at the lack of a rear deck lid. I don't think the lines lend to that as well as they should. Now, I'm sure that's a retro thing that GM is trying to avoid, and it's also a tough area of the car to design and mete the standards for crash but...I feel the C-pilars are too wide. That will probably limit some of your rear visibility, and it doesn't flow as well as it could. The lack of a trunk/decklid also implies a lack for cargo (at least two sets of golf clubs, and a few bags of groercies).

The sidesills/skirts. I think there are some styling cues that can be enhanced here. There is too much "roll" underneath of the door for my tastes.

The top grille looks fine, but I'd prefer that it comes to less of a "point" to help distinguish it from a vette more. If anything, the front should look "pissed off" and protrude a bit more forward, or at least look like it's leaning forward, and lend into the rearward sloping lines of the hood.

I like the hood overall, but I'd like to see a bit more of a cowl too it, this would help set off the lines and might even make the current upper grille work.

The rear of the car, is simply too tall. It also follows the vette lines in the rear too much with the rolled under rear quarters. I think those rear quarters need to "bulge muscle" more with some more facets and fillets instead of chamefers. The rear bumber has to COME DOWN! It's WAYYYYYYYYYY to tall. Again, at least by these pictures. Incorporating a bit more length in the rear end, lowing the rear bumper, setting the exhaust down some too and hiding the rearend a bit more would go a long way to make this part look better. I didn't mind the orginal tailights, but I like some of the styling cues our posters have done. I defainately wouldn't go round tailights now that I've see the other ones.

I would absolutely NOT put the backup lights in the rear bumper. Also, the addition of an integrated lip on the rear decklid would also add some stylish flair and functionality. Perhaps one that protrudes backwards like a NASCAR cup or busch car laid down for Daytona or 'dega, but NOT nearly as tall. Or even better yet, think rear wicker bill on a pro stocker.

Definately want to see functional side vents (if fiesable) for the rear breaks.

I know I'm missing a few other things right now...but that's a start.

I'm hoping that these are the things that have been nailed, and I know it's hard to tell from a clay and a pic but...I'm sure whoever leaked these wanted some input and I must say, this is as constructive as I can get and I like where it's started, I just hope that we can get it to where it needs to be. Notice I said WE (WE GM, as in WE us and you! US as enthusiasts that realise that you need to get a stylish product on the market with some good styling cues and YOU as a manufacture that NEEDS to finally LISTEN to your customers).

Obvsiouly we all don't speak for the general public because we are enthusiasts. We bleed, live, breath, die by this stuff and definately want something along the the lines we've been given.

Am I pleased so far, yes. Is this a rough draft, I hope so. If the rough draft starts out this good, I'm hoping the final copy is EVEN BETTER. I'm glad someone has leaked these to help get some opinion from the enthusiasts. If we continue to look at it from a varying set of eyes, WE can't go wrong.

Congrats to the design and build team for doing this good of a job thus far, keep it up! I know from some of the quick stuff I read "f-body father" scott wasn't pleased these were leaked, but I must say, I think that it was the right thing to do. GM is in dire straights and this is one of those products that just can't miss. Hopefully it won't and I'm sure that the NAIAS will do it justice.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

It's very simple...

1. Change the tail lights slightly
2. Change the mirrors slightly
3. Pick which front end to go with, lol
4. PUT A SOLD AXLE IN THE CAR
5. List atleast a 6.0 400HP V8 as an option

If you do these things I guarantee you that I, along with many others, will park one in my driveway.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Does anyone know what the show circuit schedule for this proto is? I've heard NYC but I'd like to know if it'll be in Philly or Baltimore since those are the only realsistic shows that I can really make.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Tentative show dates for the prototype(s) are:
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
New York
Dallas
Atlanta
Also:
Fbody Gathering - Atlanta
Fbody Reunion - Bowling Green

There may be a few more added later.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to place my order now!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I'm not a fan of retro styling (but I do like the new GT500) or the IRS. Personally I would rather see a more modern design.
It looks awesome Gino. It could use a little work on the taillights and side mirrors IMO. Overall I love it. With that, I'll never want to drive the 02 SS.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Those drawings are a joke right? It's not really going to look like that is it?
On the bright side...I won't second guess myself for not upgrading.

Though I would like an IRS.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Teching In

I am just glad we have something to even talk about and look forward too. PLus, that car has potential.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

When I first saw the concept I fell in love again, i thought the new challenger was nice but this thing is awsome hands down, definitely the best retro-modern style, I do not like the taillights, love the dual exhaust, I don't like the side mirrors, I also think the vent on the rear fenders could be a little more pronounced. I think it would look crappy as a vert unfortunately but I think a targa would look sweet.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrewSG
I don't get it, some of you complain about the Camaro being too retro then say you want to buy a Challanger? :wtf:
Well for one thing, there hasn't been a real Challenger for decades whereas everyone in here has a 4th gen f-body as this car's predecessor.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Personally, im thinking that the car that is going to debut in january is going to be similar but not the same as the one in the pics, i bet the "leak" only happened because those photos are old, and gm is trying to start hype for their concept. and i also don't think the ls7 will go in anything else other then the Zo6 because gm would kill them selves if they ever let anything out shine the corvette, but on the lighter side i bet they will make a new engine in the range of 420-450 hp, for the top model of course. sorry if this is off topic, but after waiting so long for ANYTHING to come out, i guess im just taking everything with a grain of salt.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Junkie

GM is on the right track with this one, I think it could actually sell right up there with the new stangs and ford going oh ****!

You guys have to admit that this is one hell of a job,, it looks better than all the gm cars out there on the market right now including the c6 and maybe even the z06.

Like others have said make the interior nice with some aluminum highlights similar to the GTO styling, maybe even put some navigation in there for the techy value and itll sell.

I think a catch will be they need to get this car out before retro goes back to the futuristic type styling, If they wait too long they will have made a kickass car but will be late to the game, Imagine of the Mustangs came out with a new kick *** futuristic aerodymic model that looked kick *** the same yr as the new camaro came out.

GM hurry up and get this bad boy out!!!!!! 1st step to saving the company is this!!!

Get it out there I will buy one I promise !!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy one if they made it.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

What's IRS?

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Guys, please quit complaining about the watermark. We do not have the original photos anymore, they were deleted.
Delete originals & keep marked up pics?
Why watermark them in the 1st place?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback