Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Anyone else dissapointed with new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F Body

It looks like someone designed a decent looking car that was too large, then put it in a compactor and reduced its size about 30% in all directions. After that went to rent and roll and picked up a set of wheels, but they had to put a lift kit on it so they would fit. What ever happened to the low slung swoopy look? Remember how low to the ground the 4th gen looked when it was first released? That being said, I hope they re-release the F body in some form or fashion. Even if this is it.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Boo hoo.

Most of us think it's amazing. I really don't see how some of you guys are picking it apart to hell. GM gave us exactly what we wanted.
They DID NOT give everyone what they wanted. People that love the 1st gen and retro got exactly what they wanted. But it will look old and outdated in no time.

I wanted a completely modern, a non 1st gen inspired Camaro.
IMO, completely trash the concept and start over. Looks like I'm buying a GTO.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Exactly. I want the low, swoopy exotic look. But most importantly: I'm tired of the rehashed retro designs coming out these days.

What's next for the 6th Gen Camaro: a modernized version of the 2nd Gen? I can't wait for the retro trend to get old, which it will do very quickly, because the auto designers will be left at their drawing boards scratching their heads on how to make a non-retro looking update on the current retro cars.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastta
How can one be expected to be loyal when there is nothing worthy of one's loyalty??
When you see me in Town (New Braunfels) sporting one(When they are available) let me know how loyal I am.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Retro styling cues are more than fine, but this...? Ugh.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but THANK YOU GM FOR NOT BRINGING THE FIREBIRD BACK!!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

well at least they didn't put 2 extra doors on it like dodge did with the charger. But personally i don't like it that much. the Vette is way better looking then that
Old 01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Some of you say its too retro, some of you say its not staying true to the camaro heritage how are there that many differing views? I think the car is exactly what chevy needs right now it will fill the niche nicely. I will have this car if there is any way possible. I just fail to see what it is you "hate" about this car except that no longer your 4th gens are the "last" camaro...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hate the car, I'm am glad GM is producing 2 dr, V8, rwd concepts. I just think they could (should) have designed an 09 camaro, not a new 69 camaro.
I just fail to see what it is you "hate" about this car except that no longer your 4th gens are the "last" camaro...
I doubt that has anything to do with peoples opinions about this new concept.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
^ Exactly. I want the low, swoopy exotic look. But most importantly: I'm tired of the rehashed retro designs coming out these days.

What's next for the 6th Gen Camaro: a modernized version of the 2nd Gen? I can't wait for the retro trend to get old, which it will do very quickly, because the auto designers will be left at their drawing boards scratching their heads on how to make a non-retro looking update on the current retro cars.
I looked at all the pics a few times more,and I like it better than I did,and when I see it in person that will be when I decide.. ..as far as the 'low,swoopy exotic look'...I am a little dissapointed also that it looks 'high and boxy' ...compared to my WS6...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiTe2000SS
The F-bod Father is Daring people to see it in person. He says if you do, you will agree thats it's not totally retro and that on paper the tail lights look weird but in person the rear end looks Wicked.. just listen to his interview 1 hour after the unveiling

http://www.camaroz28.com/podcast/podcast18.mp3
Thanks for posting that...everyone here should listen to it.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

I think its bad-***..... Very mean stance...

Im definently going to be getting one!!!!

Oh yeah..

What motor are they planning on putting in this beast??

Im hoping an ls7.... maybe something bigger???
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guaging by the reaction of the press and people that have seen it in person, or pics for that matter. The people who don't like it are going to be out of luck. I am shocked actually at all positive remarks. I was one of those people that said if GM went retro I was jumping ship or at best going Corvette. When they said it was retro and the clay mockup came out, I was severly disappointed. But then I saw the silver condept and was blown away. To me the car might be retro, but unlike the challenger or Stang it doesn't look like a clone to me. It looks awesome. Nearly every angle looks good. The way the quarters are shaped, the character lines on roof and hood. The 67-68ish look of the sides with that pronounced cokebottle shape. A very modern design with assloads of heritage. I love it, and so has every single person I have shown it to. NON-car people aren't just saying, thats nice. Their words are "BadAss", "SICK!" "Awesome!"
Old 01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
When you see me in Town (New Braunfels) sporting one(When they are available) let me know how loyal I am.
When you don't see me driving one because GM failed to make a decent Camaro, let me know how good my taste in cars is.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know, I think I just need to see it in person. This red one is looking alot better.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

imagine it in black

anyone know how to photoshop?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Having seen it in person at the LA Auto Show, I will say that it looks better in person than in pictures.

That said, I think it looks horrible in pictures. From the front quarter panel back, it looks like the love child of a 300C and Mustang. The tall door and short windows give the 300C vibe. The front grille? Decent, but it looks like the chinese version of a 1st gen Camaro. The headlights look squintier than the original, and would probably have looked nicer bulging out a little more. The lines are extremely boxy; there's a few nice sharp angles, but from the side, it looks like a box. I hope they keep the angel eyes. Maybe bulge out the front grille a little more so it doesn't just look like a slit. The back taillights are okay, but I still believe there's room for improvement, even though I can't think of any way right at this moment. Oh, and the side view mirrors. Pretty fugly, not to mention nonfunctional. Visibility from the driver's view looks like a real pain in the *** on this concept.

I prefer the concept for the 2007 Camaro over this. The lines on the back of that car help the back wheel wells look a little meatier. This new Camaro concept looks clean, but too bland. The older concept looked like it was ready to eat the Mustang for breakfast, the Charger for lunch, and the Challenger for dinner.

Either way, what I hope most is that they don't **** up this release. They've got to:

1. Keep the price point low
- Attract potential Mustang buyers
- Give young drivers a chance to convince Mommy and Daddy to buy the car.

2. Advertise the car heavily
- Not as a retro design or as an homage to tradition, but as a new, sleek, modern car that'll kick the Mustang's sorry ***.
- This needs to be aimed at the younger market, since they've got the older market with the retro design.
- Must be "high-energy" to appeal to the kiddies. Take a hint from Scion's advertising. Street appeal will help big-time.

3. Make the car easy to modify
- Make sure it's easy to get DOD a.k.a. Active Fuel Management to work with aftermarket cams/etc., or to disable it/remove it. Having a strong aftermarket for both performance and appearance accessories can make or break this car a year or two after release.
- Don't make the car a heavy pig. Although the appearance of light weight might be more important for appeal to the kiddies. Too bad it goes against everything the Camaro's about.

The car's definitely gotta have the price and performance going for it, up against a Mustang rival that sells well based on appeal alone.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Anyone that thinks this Camaro concept looks like the new Mustang is also not a true Camaro enthusiast. Either that, or they are blind and cannot distinguish styling differences. It looks nothing like the '05 Mustang, not even close. If anything, it shares more lines and design styling with the C6 Vette and Cadillac line. The Mustang looks like a Mustang, and the Camaro looks like a Camaro.

2nd gens looked nothing like 1st gens
3rd gens looked nothing like 2nd gens
4th gens looked nothing like 3rd gens
5th gens shouldn't be expected to look like 4th gens then, either.

The Challenger is much more boring to look at. It has slab sides like a mini-van, and rounded off corners. Looks overweight too. The Camaro concept is far more creative in body lines and aggressiveness. Sure, the grille doesn't seem popular, but you can bet there will be several aftermarket grilles (maybe even an RS) available. The LS1 Camaro grilles are fugly too, but we can change those easily.
agreed. They bitch about the GTO and now whine about the Camaro. It looks better than G.M.'s Firebird concept!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

This car is awesome! I will never get rid of the fourth gen, but I have to have this new Camaro. Finally, fit and finish are superb and the wheels are placed in the wheel wells at the right place. Looks like they have left enough room for us to lower it too. You know, the frame and exhaust aren't lower than the bottoms of the doors. I'm so sorry some of you feel so betrayed by GM, but honestly what else do you want? Looks like it will be a good Drifting car and maybe kick it with the young crowd. When I was 14 years old when the 4th gen came out and I thought it was awesome. I'm sure there were plenty of old fogey's that didn't like it. Come on get a grip. Some of you are writing GM and complaining, This car was built for all of us.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's decent and I give GM credit for bringing back an icon. HOWEVER, please make it less "retro", keep the weight down, make it reasonably priced and market it effectively. I don't see the appeal of all these remakes (T-bird, Stang, Challenger, Beetle, etc) besides saving design costs. I don't see "retro" Accords and the 350Z wasn't a re-man, yet these cars are doing well. The Corvette has been a continual evolution and keeps getting better, so why make another 1st Gen Camaro? I'd probably still buy one just for the powertrain...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

well......as you can see, people love it or hate it....that's to be expected with a car that inspires so much passion. And it isn't surprising at all.......
I've said many times: "when we change something on a Camaro or Corvette, 50% will love it; 50% will hate it.......and 70% of those that hate it will love it in one year........"

Please....try to get to see it in person.......pictures will never do any car or truck justice.

As to "concept" versus "production"....you may note that as of late, some of our concepts are very close to production models......(i.e. Solstice/SSR)

Many see Retro...and that can fan flames......just look at the people in this thread alone that feel strongly for or against retro. Here's the thing.....the concept was designed as a modern car....and THEN the Camaro cues were overlaid onto the design. So.......while some would call it retro, I'd say it's Heritage styling in the 21st century.

How's it being received? Well......if crowds are any indication, very well....you can't get near it in Detroit. One of our communications guys said that he's unveiled a lot of cars and trucks in 35 years and he's never heard the cheering.....or seen the tears........that we did on Monday. (I guess you had to be there to see it in person......)

Now....as to the competition....I think DCX did a great job on the Challenger. Love the style.......but man, it's BIG......I mean "make the 4th gen Camaro look small" big. (do an overlay as one site has done....)

Keep your comments coming (knock it off with the cursing, however.....) You do not have to love it. (we'd like you to..) but we DO want your feedback....and we're taking that feedback very seriously.

How seriously? well.....we had a reception for 250 Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts the night before unveil at the GM Heritage Center.....and there were about 70 GM people there talking to the enthusiasts ...picking their brains....and LISTENING to what they have to say. You can be assured we're listening.......but keep one thing in mind.......just because we don't do EXACTLY what you say does not mean we're not listening........as you can see by this thread, it's impossible to get you to agree on any one thing (well....except for price and horsepower!!!)

Keep the faith, people!

Quick Reply: Anyone else dissapointed with new Camaro?