Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Are you for or against the new 5th gen concept camaro?
you would buy the new camaro if it made production
80.46%
you would not buy the new camaro if it made production
19.54%
Voters: 1218. You may not vote on this poll

for or against the new concept camaro poll?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 04:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
First time i saw the pic of the red one from above, I thought, "Oh, God, what have they done?" Then i saw the beast come alive. The thing's got style, attitude, and is unmistakeably a camaro.
Have you guys seen some of the things people have been doing with these things?
they're gorgeous.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&page=12&pp=20
here's my not-so skilled photoshop...

and come on, anyone who has examined a '69 camaro with half a brain will instantly recognize it as a 'camaro..
the deep "V" shaped grille with turned up upper corners,
louvres in front of the rear wheels,
the small round lights in the lower front valence,
'67-68 body creases in the front fenders and doors.
rockers tapered towards the front,
body line lowering towards the back, until the rear quarter, where it goes up again..
like this..

anyone who can't see "camaro" screaming in their face, needs their eyes checked. Yeah, there's minor details that definately need fixing, it's a CONCEPT. Not liking it is cool, nobody should make your decisions for you, but calling it a mustang, is a slap in the face.
Hell, i want one.
olly
Oh oh oh, I want the black one at the bottom! Please build that one GM!

Seriously, these new ones look kinda..."big"(read fat). I love the sleek and still muscular look of my WS6. And although I'm not big on asthetics, and am happy just to see an "F-bod" coming back, I do wish they had just "evolved" the 4th gen, like as previously stated they did with the vette. But I guess then it wouldn't sell, or at least GM wouldn't think it would.

As for the comparisons between the Camaro and 'Stang designs, I do think they look similar. They look like the first gens, and the first gens looked alike, therefore these look alike. I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just happy it doesn't have 4 doors.

As for that matter(4 doors = Chrysler's nasty cars) do we know how much this "big" looking car will weigh? I don't want it to be a two-door Charger.

Granted I don't have the money right now to worry about it, but by the time they come out I'll be out of college and may be able to afford one so that I can keep my car more-or-less stock.

If I had to rank the generations of Camaro's here's what I would say:
Best: 1st gen followed by 4th gen
Worst: 2nd gen followed by 3rd gen
Therefore this new one is right in the middle.

Now as far as firebirds go, I'd say 4th gen is the best looking, but only in the case of the WS6(yes I'm biased). And I've seen that black Firebird pic floating around and would put that in a close second, leaving the 1st get in the middle. But I think there's a slim chance in he11 of that coming out, and this is a Camaro thread so I'll leave it at that...unless anyone wants to touch that
Old 01-20-2006 | 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

I've got to see GM do it first.Who knows what will happen to it once the bean counters get their way.
Old 01-20-2006 | 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
...Who knows what will happen to it once the bean counters get their way.
That turns out to be a rather prescient statement. The following is from the latest ON THE TABLE section of autoextremist.com.
Fresh off the triumphant return of the Camaro at this year's Detroit Auto Show, rumblings coming from deep within GM's Design Staff suggest all is not well with getting the "right" car into production (it will be made by the way, despite Bob Lutz' vague statements to the contrary during its introduction). A major stumbling point? Right now, there is an intense debate going on about the need for a "B"-pillar. Right-minded designers are adamant that the "B"-pillar is not necessary structurally for safety and most critically, for aesthetic reasons and that it wouldn't be an authentic Camaro with a "B"-pillar, period. The bean counters, of course, are saying that to do the car without a "B"-pillar would be too costly. If there were ever a time when the bean counters should be told to step aside at GM, it's this one. The Camaro concept cannot be built with a "B"-pillar, it would literally destroy the whole freakin' car. Add in the fact that all the engineering to support a pillar-less design for the convertible version is already in place, and you have the no-brainer of this young year. If GM screws up this car, there is no hope - so it's really quite simple: Don't.
Old 01-20-2006 | 12:53 PM
Teching In

the front is ugly but the 69 curve in the fender is the nicest part on any car ever
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definately buy it. I hope GM gets it right!
Old 01-21-2006 | 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

they CANNOT put a B-pillar in there. It would be horrible. Main reason i bought my '67 is for that look. Rolling down all 4 windows, and that's it. Just one big opening, no little towers to spoil the looks and get in the way. I'll be so disappointed if it ends up with them..... No-one wants a 2 door trying to be a 4 door.
olly
Old 01-21-2006 | 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, they better not put a b-pillar in that thing, if they do then they need to get rid of the back windows, otherwise it would look horrible.
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:13 PM
Teching In

as far as im concerned the F-body died in 02... i think the new ones are ugly.. just my two cents
Old 01-21-2006 | 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i def like it
Old 01-24-2006 | 11:54 PM
Teching In

Hey gotta say guys, I'm a little confused by the comments talking about what a shame the "retro" design is. What did you want them to do, The camaro has been out of production. I would not want them to try and come up with a brand new design (like the GTO yuck) personally I think they did a great job it is modern but still unmistakably Camaro! I just saw it in person and I have to agree, the pictures just don't do it justice, sign me up. I swear if they don't end up making this thing,.. I'm buying foreign
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I'll keep my 02 WS6 thank you
u better, that car is badass!!!

i really dont like the concept car. They should have just modified the fbodies and came back with them!! Fbodies are the best looking camaros/ta ever!! althought this car will have 400hp, i still dont like it!! I think the concept challenger beats all!!!
Old 01-25-2006 | 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JakeTheCamaro
Hey gotta say guys, I'm a little confused by the comments talking about what a shame the "retro" design is. What did you want them to do, The camaro has been out of production.
Ummm...what did I want them to do? How about apply a little design innovation and creativity to a marque that, supposedly, is so important to GM? This is especially galling because, and let's be very clear about this, GM has more than enough extremely talented and capable resource to have executed a design that truly heralded a new generation of pony car. The Camaro was on a very good design trajectory and they could have continued that path while preserving its unmistakable Camaro-ness (much like they have been able to accomplish with the Corvette). There was no bonafide reason (except, of course, the 'others are doing it') to roll the clock back 40 years.

Originally Posted by JakeTheCamaro
I would not want them to try and come up with a brand new design (like the GTO yuck) ...
Strictly speaking, it wasn't a new design, just a rebadging of a successful variant from down under.
Old 01-26-2006 | 03:33 PM
Teching In

lol ok ok I take it you don't like the new design. I definatly do I think it is a very smart idea for future of the car. Having a car with this many cues from the past should sing to camaro owners of the past all the while I think they do a good job incorporateing new ideas for our generation. The goal is to intice the largest amount of buyers to make the most money. Plain and simple. My point about the GTO is that it just doesn't look like a GTO. I want big and beefy screw aerodynamics. Overall my opinion on that car is that it just looks too engineered. Where is the authentic muscle slap you gramma shape. lol to move on i think it looks like the bastard child of say... a Grand Am and Neon. LOL sorry to any GTO owners out there, its nothing personal just not for me.
Old 01-26-2006 | 06:33 PM

Looks like it is going to be a F***ing Boat like the Dodge charger.
Old 01-27-2006 | 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blake89mustang
u better, that car is badass!!!

i really dont like the concept car. They should have just modified the fbodies and came back with them!! Fbodies are the best looking camaros/ta ever!! althought this car will have 400hp, i still dont like it!! I think the concept challenger beats all!!!

You're a little confused. all camaros and firebirds were F-bodies. not just the fourth generation. F-body is/was the platform they were built on, not a specific year/model...
olly
Old 01-27-2006 | 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
You're a little confused. all camaros and firebirds were F-bodies. not just the fourth generation. F-body is/was the platform they were built on, not a specific year/model...
olly
all i know is the best body style was 93-02. I really dont know a whole lot about camaros/firebirds. came here to learn a little more!
Old 01-27-2006 | 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fran D
Ummm...what did I want them to do? How about apply a little design innovation and creativity to a marque that, supposedly, is so important to GM? This is especially galling because, and let's be very clear about this, GM has more than enough extremely talented and capable resource to have executed a design that truly heralded a new generation of pony car. The Camaro was on a very good design trajectory and they could have continued that path while preserving its unmistakable Camaro-ness (much like they have been able to accomplish with the Corvette). There was no bonafide reason (except, of course, the 'others are doing it') to roll the clock back 40 years.
Well said, has been my point all along. IMO it lacks ideas and inspiration. It should have been an evolution like the vette. To bad GM probably will see the 75-80% approval and not do anything about us that dissapprove.
Old 01-27-2006 | 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

When the 4th gen's came out, i thought they wernt that good looking compared to my IROC. then they grew on me and i've had 3 since. i like the new concept, and will be first in line if it has 400 or more HP! JUST BRING THE THING BACK PLEASE!!!!!
Old 01-27-2006 | 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Need2gofaster
...JUST BRING THE THING BACK PLEASE!!!!!
See. Respectfully, this is my fear, exactly. Since it doesn't exist, people will accept anything. I think the marque deserves more...much more.
Old 01-27-2006 | 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fran D
See. Respectfully, this is my fear, exactly. Since it doesn't exist, people will accept anything. I think the marque deserves more...much more.
The concept isnt just "anything". I think its a good baseline. But i do respect your opinon.

Quick Reply: for or against the new concept camaro poll?