Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Decrease or Increase in Prices of Current Camaros and Firebirds with new Camaro
Decreased resale of F-bodies with the intro of the new retro Camaro
75.18%
Increased resale of F-bodies with the intro of the new retro Camaro
24.82%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Price Decrease with new Camaros comming out

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you realize that 1/3 of the threads you've started on this board are polls?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by warbird27
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. i'm keeping my lt1 forever and will buy an 09 camaro. the only ppl i see doing that are lil high school kids that couldn't afford the ls1, but i dont even see that happening.
Yep, I pretty much have every intention to keep my LS1 forever, or until the wheels fall off.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

knock on wood, they just might....lol you never know crazy cars lol
Old 01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Launching!

As much as I love my LS1 TA, I'm not holding on to it thinking it's going to appreciate one bit. I'll be happy to get rid of it for what I put into it (minus labor), and since it's just a bolt-on, that's not a lot.

Sorry, but value's all perception and people don't percieve F-bodies as being valuable. If they did, it wouldn't have died. Look at the resale on BMWs. I can get a clean F-bod or brand-new Mustang for the price of a ragged-out Beemer and it's not like they don't break down, can out perform F-bods or are that much better interior-wise after 75,000 miles, but that's just the way it is.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think i was reading that the beamer's arnt doing so wheel in their resale values, as well as the Jag's. but yeah f-bods are only goin to mean something to the diehards...not the rest of the world....sad but true.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

I did not vote because I think the resale value will stay constant ( slowly decreasing with time). The fact is not many of our cars were built and not everyone can afford the new Camaro.
If I was 16 to 20 years old in 2008, I would be happy to have a 95 to 02 F bod...there is still decent resale on the 95's and up, I dont see it changing because of the new Camaro.
My first Fbod was a 84 Z 5.0 HO, I happily bought it in 89 even though the IROCS were everywhere with TPI 350's, the 86 and up IROCS were too much for me at the time.
My 02 T/A will stay in the fleet...the new Camaro will just be added, so thats one less 2002 that will be in circulation...its drying up already.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

The cars will drop in value since the market will become flooded when the new camaro comes out. But over time it will go back up. People will keep totalling 4th gens or else they will rust out, or become so run down they will be sent to the junk yard. Then nice cars will start appreciating in value. Prob about 15 years from now. Kids that saw them and couldn't afford them when growing up will start to buy the car the lusted after in their youth. And guys like us that had them and sold them will later live to regret it and want a car like i used to have back. It's just how stuff works. The only think i'm worried about is the future of fossil fuel ran cars. And how bad the epa is going to get in the coming years.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

at first i didnt like the looks of the 4th gens but they grew on me as i got older, i used to love the 2nd gens (and still do) they resemble each other so well it's scary! but yeah all the little kids around here are always aaawing and oooing when they see my car, some day little fikkers
Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the new one coming out is going to affect the prices of the current cars much.
With a 6 year gap between production, time has done most if it already.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I think Camaros will go down in value. The 4th gen Firebirds and Trans Am's are still the latest model. They dont seem to age to me. My 98 still seems like a new design to me. Its still stylish. I hope it stays that way for a while longer.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I hope the price goes down.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price is already going down. I've seen alot of clean LS1's sell for cheap cheap.

6300 gets you a one owner M6 in mint condition...!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I think that most people who bought the ls1 are content with it and plan on keeping it. I know when I bought my LS1 2000 SS their was rumors that the Camaro was going out of production so I figured I better go and get mine while I could still get a new one. I ran right out and bought one, production did not stop for two more years but I’m content with mine. I have a 1978 Z28 also and I have offers constantly to buy it but I’m keeping it. Sometimes I think about selling my car for a new corvette then I go out and look at it and think I’m keeping my car I’ll just buy the vette and add to the collection.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
I don't think the new one coming out is going to affect the prices of the current cars much.
With a 6 year gap between production, time has done most if it already.
I agree. Also the LS1 cars were the last with an unbroken lineage. You are better off waiting until late winter or early spring to sell but low mileage Fbodies in pristine condition still list in the teens in some locations. As time goes on they will be more and more unique driving down the road. I still like the sight of a well kept 3rd gen on the road.

Last edited by Deep Blue; 09-04-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Consider this though..

With the advent of the extremely popular '05 styled Mustangs came a huge after-market/racing/styling/accessory production market. What I mean is you can literally walk into any super market and purchase a magazine full of information for modding your Mustang, installing appearance packages, sup'ing up the engine.. the list goes on--And this is for ALL YEARS of Mustangs.

The f-body's, like the mustang, will be given a new stage.. people will have new found interest. Yes, their prices may fall some, but you can expect a lot of neat things to come for our f-body's if you truely enjoy them. The fun is about to begin.. again!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I guess resale is pretty dependent on area too. A few months ago some guy walked up to me at a show and said he'd give me $28K for my car. In the same breath I said "no thanks I'll hang on to this one." I paid $29K for it back in 2001.

I know the price for the 4th Gen will drop, they always do. Eventually they will go back up. Also you have to remember inflation will make it look like the car price is going throught the roof.

You could get a '69 Camaro back in the day for what $3500. That's insane. The WS6 package cost me $3400 on my car. My dad almost fell over when he saw the option was $3400. "For wheels, tires, a hood and a badge?" he said.

It's all a match.

What I'm worried about is the state of fossile fuel like OldSchoolSS and the imports eventually being called muscle cars. A FWD 4cyl will NEVER be a muscle car. I got pissed in 97 when Pontiac called the Grand Prix GTP a muscle car, NOPE SORRY!

Don't let this hijack this thread.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

FirebirdWS62K1
Was your car brand new like less than 300 miles on the odometer when you purchased it in 2001?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by STS SUPERCAR
FirebirdWS62K1
Was your car brand new like less than 300 miles on the odometer when you purchased it in 2001?
2 miles. Bought it brand new.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

Default V8's will be history

Originally Posted by OldSchoolSS
The cars will drop in value since the market will become flooded when the new camaro comes out. But over time it will go back up. People will keep totalling 4th gens or else they will rust out, or become so run down they will be sent to the junk yard. Then nice cars will start appreciating in value. Prob about 15 years from now. Kids that saw them and couldn't afford them when growing up will start to buy the car the lusted after in their youth. And guys like us that had them and sold them will later live to regret it and want a car like i used to have back. It's just how stuff works. The only think i'm worried about is the future of fossil fuel ran cars. And how bad the epa is going to get in the coming years.
Excellent post. Everyone needs to look LONG term. V8 engines could very well become a thing of the past. You keep your LT1/LS1 clean and in excellent shape and you will make money one day. The only thing I disagree about the above post is the market getting flooded. Not likely at $35,000 a pop. After two years of production the numbers will start looking like the production numbers of '01-'02, then the Camaro gets dropped again. GM is going to have history repeat.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
As much as I love my LS1 TA, I'm not holding on to it thinking it's going to appreciate one bit. I'll be happy to get rid of it for what I put into it (minus labor), and since it's just a bolt-on, that's not a lot.

Sorry, but value's all perception and people don't percieve F-bodies as being valuable. If they did, it wouldn't have died. Look at the resale on BMWs. I can get a clean F-bod or brand-new Mustang for the price of a ragged-out Beemer and it's not like they don't break down, can out perform F-bods or are that much better interior-wise after 75,000 miles, but that's just the way it is.
I bought my car with this in mind. A lot of people buy these cars because they're attached to them emotionally. The problem is that a few years down the road, they forget that and realize "if I don't sell now, it'll be worth squat tomorrow!!!" All of a sudden, the '02 Z28 that Doe bought has become a "terrible investment" because KBB says it's only worth $X vs $Y, even when it's mint.

Someone gave me this invaluable piece of advice (from Best Buy, ironically): "Nothing becomes obsolete as long as it still does what you want it to." The point is that it gives you a perspective of value we often don't consider. We may not be the "latest and the greatest", but we certainly won't be the oldest and the worst. With that in mind, you should never let the market define your perception on value. Unless A) it's in your favor, or B) we're talking about objects without sentiment.

The new Camaro? I'd love to have one some day.

When my '01 Z28 breaks.

Quick Reply: Price Decrease with new Camaros comming out