Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

A great day for Camaro enthusiasts. It's official!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
You are speaking for way to small a group for GM to give a crap. They probbly will release it a hair better then the stang.

Not enough people race/buy to make them care about us tuners. Frankly GM is in so much trouble if they screwed us really hard I wouldn't be shocked. They are in hard times and need to jump in the market.

Alot of people also bring up the changing market as gas prices are staying up and going up for some.

with alot of the japaness makers you can order a car just like a burger you can pick exactly what you want you want chrome rims and non power locks they will do it. Chevy won't thats why they get nailed. Make a car just as nice give me room to play as buyer why get the one where you are locked in to packages etc. If Chevy is wise they will bring out a base and loaded 6 base 8 mid grade 8 and loaded 8. But you can order really anything you want.

IRS will help alot unless all you do is drag it's a way better setup for daily, hell i drag here and there and wish for IRS.

Chevy just hopes the retro craze will still be on if not it'll end up like a PT cruiser, remember when they were "cool"?

just my thoughts.
you're probably right. people are getting greedier and greedier and want more and more options
Old 08-15-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're probably right. people are getting greedier and greedier and want more and more options
Do you really think it's greed though?

I mean on alot of cars you get BASE or LOADED no middle ground, now out pops so many ways to pick your car to suit you, a car is a big chunk of change, to most Americans the car is the 2nd most vaulble thing we own, behind a house.

Now you don't either get a hovel or a mansion right? Why should we do this with a car? We were lucky with the 4th gens for example the z28 you could get it with nothing but a motor or you can load it out more then an SS came with.

Alot of people don't like some things for one reason or another, logical or not it's true. Pretend you are scared of power locks, then most cars youll have to get the stripper one, but you wanta go fast too? too bad all power locks. So you have to pick or you can wonder to a car that offers it like that.

What would you do in that setup, pick or buy from someone who could suit your wants/needs?

just thinking aloud and I hope Chevy does give us the power to choose.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Well, how many engine options came with the Camaro in '68? 327, 350, 396, 454? Transmissions? GM just isn't what it used to be, its thinning out as the years go on and its sad.

What you CAN blame is the sport compact/tuner crowd from the early 90's to where we are at now.

1. We all drive Civics.
2. "I wanna go fast!11."
3. Aftermarket eggs on the manufacturer.
4. It reciprocates and cycles.

Whether you want to admit it or not, muscle cars are out, sport compacts are in.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02WS6M6
This will probably **** some people off but...

Although I would love to see a next Gen Camaro, is anyone else getting sick of the whole retro look fad? I think it started with Volkswagen paying homage to their fabulous Bug and then every other car maker had to do the same. I've seen the retro Bug, the Ford Mustang & Thunderbird, Chrysler PT Cruiser, the Dodge Charger, Plymouth Prowler, a modern re-release of the Pontiac GTO, and probably a bunch of others that don't come to mind right away, but seriously I'm done w/ the whole retro theme. Do I like the new Camaro? yeah, it's not bad. But by 2009, will I like it? I doubt it. Mustang had the retro look years earlier and who knows how many others will come and go in between. I think GM is once again being too slow to capitalize on the market. The first year sales will be phenomenal, then they will drop off sharply as the newness of and buzz about the next Gen Camaro die down, just as they do w/ every other retro-styled car. And we know what happens when sales aren't great. The car gets axed. I give the new Camaro 5 years tops before it's axed or dramatically redesigned - which they should be working on Gen 6 now if they don't want another break in production.

The C6 could have gone retro but instead, Team Corvette decided to go forward, not backwards and the result is the best Corvette ever. That is what Team Camaro should be doing as well. LS7 and IRS in a Camaro? Great! - a step in the right direction. Retro looks and crappy-assed retro interior? Once again GM never learns.

My next car will be a Corvette... even if it takes me to 2020 to save for it.
agreed
I mentioned this a long time ago when the concept first came out, and prior to that when the Mustang concept came out.

I'm not a fan of how either of them look. Not saying that chiseled in stone they're ugly. I just mean in my opinion as to what I, personally prefer, it doesnt hold up. Too retro to me, if i want a retro camaro, I'll go buy one for the same price or cheaper, and with updated mechanics, etc. to boot.

I think the real craze started with the PT Cruiser, and it was down hill from there.
I think the GTO looks horrible, fast? Definitely. But, if i were asked what it was without badges on it? I'd say it was a sporty family car.

The only way i could see my self being interested in the new Camaro is if it were retarded fast, that's it. If it were then maybe that "GNX looks sorta-bland but hauls ***" effect will wear on me. otherwise i cannot personally see my self excited and dead set on buying the car the second it came out.

I'd be after a Z06 of some sort. Which as of late they are turning into ungodly vehicles, especially with he new S/C 650HP version possibly coming out. And if they do come out with the fabled LS9 engine, OHC or not, it will rule with an unforgiving titanium fist.

Also, the Camaro looks a decent amount like the Challenger concept.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

as far as the bringing back the firebird, think about this....

they are stoping production of the GTO, which leaves pontiac without a rear-drive sports car.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tamu130
as far as the bringing back the firebird, think about this....

they are stoping production of the GTO, which leaves pontiac without a rear-drive sports car.
Actually GTO will be back around the same time as Camaro.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not too mention that Pontiac also has the Solstice.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

From what I understand - The 2009 fast model will be a 5.3. The 2010 they will introduce a third model with the 6.0 - I'm waiting for the 2010. It will be worth it - the 1st year they will be a full sticker car & maybe even over sticker - the hype will have worn off a bit for the 2nd year and it will be faster & improved in other ways I'm sure.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOBSTAH75
From what I understand - The 2009 fast model will be a 5.3. The 2010 they will introduce a third model with the 6.0 - I'm waiting for the 2010. It will be worth it - the 1st year they will be a full sticker car & maybe even over sticker - the hype will have worn off a bit for the 2nd year and it will be faster & improved in other ways I'm sure.
If that's true then you know more than the people working on it...
Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Well - I've read it in more than 1 article and I've heard it from a salesman that was told that from a GM rep - not exactly classified info
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Well - I've read it in more than 1 article and I've heard it from a salesman that was told that from a GM rep - not exactly classified info
You believe a car salesman? OH MY
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not exactly factual either...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Well the salesman is my brother in law & further more why would a salesman tell a customer "Don't buy one when they first comeout - wait until he second year" unless he had a genuine reason - I don't see ANY benefit in lieing to me on this one. To be honest I thought I was stating common knowledge - I didn't realize I'd be attacked over this.

Last edited by LOBSTAH75; 08-18-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the salesman is my brother in law & further more why would a salesman tell a customer "Don't buy one when they first comeout - wait until he second year" unless he had a genuine reason - I don't see ANY benefit in lieing to me on this one. To be honest I thought I was stating common knowledge - I didn't realize I'd be attacked over this.

There are many people on these boards that work on these prototype vehicles and are directly related to the development of them. This is why nobody on this site takes ANYTHING a car salesmen says seriously.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't count on any V8 engine RPOs we're experienced with.

There's alot of new GenIVs coming out, and they have to go in something!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I'll put and end to this - Your right I'm wrong - Can we all put our rulers away now? LOL Regardles of what happens - I'll still wait until the 2010 - Like any 2nd year vehicle, they will make a few improvements & iron out some minor issues and the hype will be on the downslope causing a better financial deal for the customer.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Regardles of what happens - I'll still wait until the 2010 - Like any 2nd year vehicle, they will make a few improvements & iron out some minor issues and the hype will be on the downslope causing a better financial deal for the customer.

Definitely. This is my plan as well ...but for other reasons.

Last edited by OctaneZ28; 08-20-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Chevy just hopes the retro craze will still be on if not it'll end up like a PT cruiser, remember when they were "cool"?
Ya right. How can you even compare a slow *** **** wagon to the new camaro? I don't buy into this retro talk about the new camaro either. Mustang and challenger, yes it is very evident. To me the camaro looks like it should thru natural evolution of the car. It's not a complete retro knockoff.
All the whinning about a stripped version is nonsense. VERY few people want that. I personally want air, power everything, standard trans, and an LS7. After about the 14th day of 100+ temps you think I'm gonna spend thousands on a ****** stripper? As for the IRS? I remember test driving a bran new Cobra and all I could think about was the EXCELLENT handling. I opted for the SS for the brute straight line force tho. Now I can have both in the camaro? OMG I'm in heaven. I'll be trying to buy two. HIS and HERS.
No, GM is going to hit a homerun as long as it can be made affordable in all version to be released to the public. If not, then I will personally find a way to have my complaint about dealer markup be heard.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think anyone means to attack. But your brother's advice is pretty basic in the business. The first year is always the roughest in terms of quality and available options. That much is common knowledge. Sounds like he's just looking out for you.

DanO: RightO!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I want options, my 94 has a/c and power steering/brakes. None of that pwr windows/locks/seats crap that you don't really need. So yeah they should let us have options, or maybe the option to order one.

I'm glad its coming back regardless. Not having any new fbodies around is like not having summer bbq's or something.

Quick Reply: A great day for Camaro enthusiasts. It's official!!!!!!!