Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Auto Buyers Have Spoken: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Buyers Have Spoken: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=27934

Next generation of classic sport coupe goes into production in late 2008, on sale in 2009; will be almost identical to wildly popular concept unveiled at NAIAS

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – Dear sports car fans: General Motors heard you loud and clear.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the award-winning concept that stole the spotlight at the North American International Auto Show and has ignited the passion of car enthusiasts around the world ever since – even spurring consumers to start petition drives and send in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.

“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America's spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. “The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women, and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.

“We intend to make the all-new Camaro relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans,” said Peper. “The beauty of the best Camaros is that they have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers.”

In fact, the Camaro Concept design team embodies the universal appeal that Chevy envisions for the car: The core team reporting to the lead designer ranges in age from 27-35 and came from all over the world, yet they all had similar experiences growing up with a love for the Camaro and American performance cars. Their concept redefines the Camaro for both existing and new generations of fans in a contemporary way with responsive performance and modern technology.

Peper said Camaro will complement Chevy’s already-popular portfolio of performance vehicles led by Corvette and including its broad SS lineup.

An American icon
The Camaro has touched many lives – and graced many garages – with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally, and thousands of Camaro web sites pay homage to the sports coupe. A recent report on America Online’s Top Searches of 2005 placed Camaro in the Top 10 car searches for the year.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Hell Freaking Yeah.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a good graduation present for me... I graduate with an engineering masters in 2009
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC21386
Sounds like a good graduation present for me... I graduate with an engineering masters in 2009
me too. can you say "signing bonus"

about time. never doubted they'd make it. if only i'd hear of a firebird
Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Independent Rear Suspension = no thanks

I'll buy me an older one with a solid rear axle...the people wanting to make real power are gonna hate that.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KC21386

100% man!! Except my date is 2010 for MBA. So far away
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
100% man!! Except my date is 2010 for MBA. So far away
I graduate with my Masters enxt May...how 'bout my Ph.D in 2013?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless

I'll buy me an older one with a solid rear axle...the people wanting to make real power are gonna hate that.
I concur. I wouldn't mind having one, but after seeing all the IRS issues that Vette/Terminator guys are having, I think I'll stick with my ole 4th Gen...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Reckless

i thought the exact same thing when i read it.

i also have a VERY strong feeling that this is going to be a overweight pig of a car, just like the goat.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

i also have a VERY strong feeling that this is going to be a overweight pig of a car, just like the goat.
91 RS M5,A4 LO3 V8 CR 9.3:1 Discpl. 5.0 (305) HP: 170@4000 TQ: 255@2400 TBI 3.08 ---- 2.73 ----
Source: http://www.thirdgen.org/1991-chevy-camaro
Weight: Apprx(dont know your options) 3300lbs source: http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data

No offense bud but your car ain't no russian gymnast either. Although Chicks do indeed dig convertibles
Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
91 RS M5,A4 LO3 V8 CR 9.3:1 Discpl. 5.0 (305) HP: 170@4000 TQ: 255@2400 TBI 3.08 ---- 2.73 ----
Source: http://www.thirdgen.org/1991-chevy-camaro
Weight: Apprx(dont know your options) 3300lbs source: http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data

No offense bud but your car ain't no russian gymnast either. Although Chicks do indeed dig convertibles

yea, but my car currently weights under 3,000lbs with the full interior in it.
hell, 4thgens are heavy in comparison to my car. but thats not my point.

if the car weighed 3300, id be happy as hell.... but how its looking now.. try 500lbs heavier then that.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

aw i was just teasin ya. plus tho the 4th gen is heavy but I was looking at it more from a power:weight perspective.

It just seems cars are getting heavier and heavier, with exception of like the lotus.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i graduate 09 with a bachelors...i feel a grad gift for myself. Also let me say...ITS ABOUT EFFIN TIME GM
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think GM had a choice but to build it. Ford has the Stang, Dodge is coming out with the Challenger so they had to, couldn't be left out. How could there be a pony car war w/o the camaro. I wish they would scrap the GTO for the Firebird but I doubt it will happen although it would be nice to have back. I don't think the IRS will kill the car it hasn't been that big of an issue with the cobra's and it can't be weaker than the POS 7.5 rear end we have now.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by exstanger
I don't think GM had a choice but to build it. Ford has the Stang, Dodge is coming out with the Challenger so they had to, couldn't be left out. How could there be a pony car war w/o the camaro. I wish they would scrap the GTO for the Firebird but I doubt it will happen although it would be nice to have back. I don't think the IRS will kill the car it hasn't been that big of an issue with the cobra's and it can't be weaker than the POS 7.5 rear end we have now.
The GTO IS HISTORY already..announced a couple months ago...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds great.

IRS should definitely be an option though, having it standard on all models will increase weight, cost, and complexity way too much.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I concur. I wouldn't mind having one, but after seeing all the IRS issues that Vette/Terminator guys are having, I think I'll stick with my ole 4th Gen...
Hi. The Vette differential which you are referring to in the C5 is no longer used. The C6 version is exclusive to the C6. The GTO version will no longer be built from an aluminum housing. What's the problem?

New generation torque management will hold it all together.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Except that I REALLY like the IRS. After driving the Corvette over rough bumpy roads and especially bumpy turns I'll never go solid axle again. My Camaro *** would slide out on me if I took to fast and thats with a full-out street/track suspension. The Corvette just glides over the bumbs.

Just race with street legal tires, that way you can get the satifaction of beating people with street tires instead of "cheating" with drag tires!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:50 AM
NKAWTG...N

if the car weighed 3300, id be happy as hell.... but how its looking now.. try 500lbs heavier then that.
Ya no way the new Camaro will be less than 3500. Hell for the C6 Z06 they had to use tons of carbon fiber to get it in the 3100 range. And I highly doubt the Camaro will be lighter than a standard C6 since it will have 4 seats, so expect 3700s if we are lucky! I will be happy as long as the first number starts with a "3".
Old 08-11-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
New generation torque management will hold it all together.
yea... until we turn it off. then stuff breaks and we have to upgrade everything.

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Except that I REALLY like the IRS. After driving the Corvette over rough bumpy roads and especially bumpy turns I'll never go solid axle again. My Camaro *** would slide out on me if I took to fast and thats with a full-out street/track suspension. The Corvette just glides over the bumbs.
that has little to do with it being a live axle.. theres alot more to suspension then just the type. lol.

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Just race with street legal tires, that way you can get the satifaction of beating people with street tires instead of "cheating" with drag tires!
um, i like to go fast.
anyone who thinks drag tires are cheating, doesnt have a powerful enough car to realize what they're for. my car would be downright dangerous to drive on street tires down the dragstrip.

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Ya no way the new Camaro will be less than 3500. Hell for the C6 Z06 they had to use tons of carbon fiber to get it in the 3100 range. And I highly doubt the Camaro will be lighter than a standard C6 since it will have 4 seats, so expect 3700s if we are lucky! I will be happy as long as the first number starts with a "3".
yea, i konw.... but they just keep getting heavier and heavier.. meanwhile all thoes damn imports somehow remain light.
i hate to compare the two, but dammit, i hate having 100more hp, and just bearly hanging with the lighter cars.... think LS1 vs GTO if it makes you feel better.

Quick Reply: Auto Buyers Have Spoken: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro