Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

camaro vs GT 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default camaro vs GT 500

Do you think that GM would put a LS7 in the top of the line camaro to run with the GT 500, or will the come out just to compete against the Mustang GT.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I think that they will put the LS7 in the camaro. At least I would hope so!!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Teching In

I think they will only compete with the mustang GT and mach 1 but not the GT500 cuz then they would be messing with the corvette sales if they put in the ls7 in the camaro. Personally i think someone should put in an ls7 in a camaro to kick all mustangs' ***'.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28camarofn
I think they will only compete with the mustang GT and mach 1 but not the GT500 cuz then they would be messing with the corvette sales if they put in the ls7 in the camaro. Personally i think someone should put in an ls7 in a camaro to kick all mustangs' ***'.
I don't see how it would compete with the vette.... it'll probably end up nearly 900lbs heavier. Plus the by then "blue devil" would be out.

I can also see dodge coming out with a SRT-8 version of the challenger pushing 500hp. An R/T version with 400hp and a base with 345hp.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think they will. Every year both cars have been in production the camaro has wiped the floor with the mustang model to model. Exception MAYBE the third gen years....

'I just dont think GM is willing to make it second best. I dont see we will see an LS7 the first yera or two though, but some form of GT500 dragger will surface.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Teching In

If GM puts in the same engines in the camaro as the vette then the vette will never sell because why buy a car that is twice the price and the same hp. And i do think the challenger will have that much hp. But dont get me wrong i love camaros and wish they would put in an ls7.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

i think that the camaro will be faster then the gt 500. I read an article today that said it only ran a 13.4 in the 1/4. cause it ways like 4020pds and has bad gearing. and if all this is true, then it will not even be as fast as a stock ls1!!!!
this just shows how slow fords really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Twice the price and the same hp?

That has always been the case/// and the vette has always sold.. the vette is the complete package excellent weight, great looks, great stance and handling, more comfort features, aerodynamics and better gearing ( i think )

The camaro has always been the gearhead's GM car... customizable, in your face, cheap plentiful aftermarket, simpler build

The two will always sell independantly of eachother and not take away from the others sales... however i think this new camaro might end up being a pig.. please god say im wrong

The two cars sort of work as a team, someone loves the 4th gen camaro when they are younger and then buys a C6 corvette when older. A young person buys the new camaro now and later in life buys a corvette. I know I plan on selling my camaro sometime and springing for a C5, not necessarily for any performance gains... but comfort and appeal and of course the handling.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I really don't think the GT500 will even be an issue. Will ford still be making it when the Camaro comes out? If they are, it will be absent in 2009 as well since the mustang will be arriving with a fresh redesign. I think the GT500 will be gone before the Camaro has a chance to take a swing at it.

I do hope that they put the LS7 in the Camaro though, just cause its cool.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT500 is seriously overweight, which is a real shame for the Ford fans. The Camaro should be able to take it pretty easily. Bob
Old 09-02-2006, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Someone spoke of GM not putting the same motor in a Camaro as a Vette. Look at the 4th Gens had an LS1 like the Vette. You can always put the same motor and detune it and make it slower. It would actually save GM money that away I THINK. An LS7 Camaro I am there I would buy it in a heart beat as long as its not overpriced like that POS GT500. Granted that GT500 is sweet looking but bank for the buck no way. Besides its a FORD. lol
I am just ready for them to release prices, motor choices and specs. I hope all this HYPE for the Camaro isnt waisted and a major let down.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

If GM puts in the same engines in the camaro as the vette then the vette will never sell because why buy a car that is twice the price and the same hp. And i do think the challenger will have that much hp. But dont get me wrong i love camaros and wish they would put in an ls7.

i still dont see how you can compare the two. the vette is on another performance level, and looks alot better. people will buy a vette because of the symbol and how it looks. a 40 year old isnt going to buy a camaro over a vette because he can go in a straight line just as fast at a cheaper price.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE
i still dont see how you can compare the two. the vette is on another performance level, and looks alot better. people will buy a vette because of the symbol and how it looks. a 40 year old isnt going to buy a camaro over a vette because he can go in a straight line just as fast at a cheaper price.

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
Someone spoke of GM not putting the same motor in a Camaro as a Vette. Look at the 4th Gens had an LS1 like the Vette. You can always put the same motor and detune it and make it slower. It would actually save GM money that away I THINK. An LS7 Camaro I am there I would buy it in a heart beat as long as its not overpriced like that POS GT500. Granted that GT500 is sweet looking but bank for the buck no way. Besides its a FORD. lol
I am just ready for them to release prices, motor choices and specs. I hope all this HYPE for the Camaro isnt waisted and a major let down.
for the record, they didnt "detune it" to make it slower, it's slower out of weight. the fbody actually dyno's slightly higher right next to the vette because of the vette's independent rear suspension.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE

Indeed exactly what im saying, not always about power... the corvette is the more refined mature counterpart to the camaro.. as it always has been. I remember reading a post by someone on this forum about how many car manufacturers aim to do something like... sell a camaro to a guy when he is younger and looking for fun, then when is older to sell him an impala or something like that when he has a family. Then when his kids grow up maybe he'll spring for that corvette. Think about how many older guys you see in corvettes.

Dont get me wrong though.. i know some older guys that have camaros.. but they are track monsters and have corvettes for the street. Kind of the way i think it should be
Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

The Camaro is the GT500's competition. The GT500 is no match for the ZO6 being the Ford weighs almost 900lbs or more, than a ZO6. I highly doubt there will be a LS7 for the Camaro. It'll probably be the LS3 as the "SS" or whatever the highest model of camaro will be called.

"Forget about engine designators that we know of today" said by Scott Settlemire, current Manager for Chevrolet and Hummer Shows & Exhibits, former Assistant Brand Manager for Corvette/Camaro, and affectionately known in the F-body community as the "Fbodfather."

This statement was made in the QnA about the new Camaro. Either way my guess is the Camaro will run a quicker 1/4 mile than the GT500 only because of weight and im hoping the car will be geared better than the ford.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Teching In

It has always been twice the price but the same hp? Come on you should know vettes if your on this site. The vette has more hp than a camaro. The slowest vette has 350 and the fastest camaro has 320 both being stock that is.
Originally Posted by Fibbado
Twice the price and the same hp?

That has always been the case/// and the vette has always sold.. the vette is the complete package excellent weight, great looks, great stance and handling, more comfort features, aerodynamics and better gearing ( i think )

The camaro has always been the gearhead's GM car... customizable, in your face, cheap plentiful aftermarket, simpler build

The two will always sell independantly of eachother and not take away from the others sales... however i think this new camaro might end up being a pig.. please god say im wrong

The two cars sort of work as a team, someone loves the 4th gen camaro when they are younger and then buys a C6 corvette when older. A young person buys the new camaro now and later in life buys a corvette. I know I plan on selling my camaro sometime and springing for a C5, not necessarily for any performance gains... but comfort and appeal and of course the handling.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

It has always been twice the price but the same hp? Come on you should know vettes if your on this site. The vette has more hp than a camaro. The slowest vette has 350 and the fastest camaro has 320 both being stock that is.
Those HP ratings are bull All LS1's regardless of what vehicle they're in will dyno at about 295-315 hp to the wheels
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. Not even close. My car put down 311rwhp completley stock, so you're telling me i gained 1HP through the drivetrain?!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

I smell LS2 Magnacharger
Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting.. but as I understand it thats not true in the least, the vette is faster yes... more horsepower no. ( THIS is pertaining to LS1 vehicles only )
As i understand it the Fbodys dyno higher due to Live axle.. but the vette is faster due to weight, gearing, etc.

Your also quoting me, quoting someone else.

Quick Reply: camaro vs GT 500