Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Would you buy this???
HELLS YEAH!!! Fast is fast, how I get there does not matter, plus school bus sounds are sexy!!!
45.12%
HELL NO! Nearly 40 yrs of gas fueled V8s that make proper muscle car sounds.
54.88%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a small V8 Diesel Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these automakers are always thinkin small... why diesel go hydrogen geez thats what i wanna see, not oh hang on ill turn it off while im in the drivethru... a camaro is supposed to be a muscle car you know wheres the sport in blahhhhhh the guys at the track will love these cars lmao why not make it a hybrid that should fawk up the name more....
Old 12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

a diesel would be awesome to see in a camaro. my family has had several dodges to include the new common rails, and the 24v cummins. ive also worked on a 12v owned by a friend who now does performance diesel stuff. id buy one! the power you can make fairly cheaply, yet very reliably is phenomenal. imagine an I5 or I6 turbo diesel that weighs barely more than a 6.0 iron block, puts out more torque than patrick g can squeeze thru his ears any day (under 2k rpms at that), that you wouldnt have to rev it to the moon. you could turn the boost WAY up before even thinking about upgrading anything but a cold air intake and bigger exhaust. hell, just tuning, injectors, cold air intake, and exhaust would double your hp and probably almost triple your tq! ill take two, please...

now if only it wasnt offered in such an ugly *** package!!!,

-cam
Old 12-01-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
That's a god damn saturn sky with a corvette logo photoshopped into the grille
Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Launching!

This V6 Corvette needs a new thread. Its threatening to take over this thread, rightfully. If GM makes a V6 Corvette again, it may as well close its doors. All Corvette fans will be betrayed. I will lose respect for GM. They absolutely CANNOT call it a Corvette! It will be a joke! And if it is called a Corvette Stingray...close the doors immediately!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

No one would want to follow you.....forget caravaning.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Diesel Camaro, No.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Launching!

upgrading would be awesome if it was a diesel. injector upgrade followed by turbo upgrade with a shot of nitrous and propane. NASTY!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:22 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Not reading all these posts. So sorry if already mentioned.

I would buy it faster than a gas car. I have diesel trucks. The new ones don't smell that bad and they are not that loud anymore. I've already started using biodiesel in my corporation vehicles when avail. If they had a Camaro and more stations would carry the bio, I would use it as a daily driver, in a heart beat. I don't need 40 MPG, anything to keep the money & jobs here, emissions lower, and power over us away from the losers like the president from Citgo, the nut jobs in the middle east, I'm in.
I'm also selling all my old stuff and only buying all new vehicles that run E-85 or Bio-diesel.

Bigger turbo and N2O kits will be out, you can bet money on it.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Super Speed
6.0 Turbo Diesel

Those things make insane amounts of hp and torque
Yeah, that's right before they throw a connecting rod through the side of the block, blow a head gasket, or literally lift a turbo off the motor and that's at stock power levels....hahahaha
Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A Diesel Camaro is a possibility, I suppose I would be courious at the very least. Look at what Banks has done with diesel trucks. Imagine just using a tuner and pluging in a couple of wires, turn a *** and bam you doubled your horsepower and torque!! As long as it remained a v-8 that would make it sound at least halfway cool with a tuned exhaust. Plus the idea of getting over 40mpg with 400hp and 650ib-ft would just be awesome!

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Not reading all these posts. So sorry if already mentioned.

I would buy it faster than a gas car. I have diesel trucks. The new ones don't smell that bad and they are not that loud anymore. I've already started using biodiesel in my corporation vehicles when avail. If they had a Camaro and more stations would carry the bio, I would use it as a daily driver, in a heart beat. I don't need 40 MPG, anything to keep the money & jobs here, emissions lower, and power over us away from the losers like the president from Citgo, the nut jobs in the middle east, I'm in.
I'm also selling all my old stuff and only buying all new vehicles that run E-85 or Bio-diesel.

Bigger turbo and N2O kits will be out, you can bet money on it.
I agree!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
A Diesel Camaro is a possibility, I suppose I would be courious at the very least. Look at what Banks has done with diesel trucks. Imagine just using a tuner and pluging in a couple of wires, turn a *** and bam you doubled your horsepower and torque!! As long as it remained a v-8 that would make it sound at least halfway cool with a tuned exhaust. Plus the idea of getting over 40mpg with 400hp and 650ib-ft would just be awesome!

I agree!
I don't care much for the V-8 diesel sound, I would rather have the I-6 sound with all the torque and non of the problems.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Launching!

If it were available with a diesel, I'd buy it. Then I'd start making bio-diesel in my garage at like $0.50 per gallon.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't we keep with the lsx. We've got a good thing going here.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

though if it were a turbo diesel, then hell yeah!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say yes. To not see diesel as the best current day way to make a ton of power and use the least amount of fuel is to be foolish and stuck in the past.

New diesel standards being what they are, and diesel tech having come much farther than anyone gives it credit for, there is no reason not to do this. I am not talking about a freaking 92 cummins here, I mean a direct injection cutting edge tech engine, with all of the torque and half almost none of the noise. Ever seen a VW TDI or MB diesel 4 door? Maybe a Libery with the diesel in it? You probably have and didn't even know it. Why? It doesn't make the noise or the particulate cloud.

I'd gladly get a diesel 5th gen, run it on biodiesel or GTL, make less pollution than an LS1 and more power and milage, not to mention pull stumps on the weekend. Diesel and diesel variants are the <near> future.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt even look at it with that engine...if i get a diesel, it would be for towing not racing
Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazboy99
if i get a diesel, it would be for towing not racing
It's all in your mind.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lo_jack
I say yes. To not see diesel as the best current day way to make a ton of power and use the least amount of fuel is to be foolish and stuck in the past.

New diesel standards being what they are, and diesel tech having come much farther than anyone gives it credit for, there is no reason not to do this. I am not talking about a freaking 92 cummins here, I mean a direct injection cutting edge tech engine, with all of the torque and half almost none of the noise. Ever seen a VW TDI or MB diesel 4 door? Maybe a Libery with the diesel in it? You probably have and didn't even know it. Why? It doesn't make the noise or the particulate cloud.

I'd gladly get a diesel 5th gen, run it on biodiesel or GTL, make less pollution than an LS1 and more power and milage, not to mention pull stumps on the weekend. Diesel and diesel variants are the <near> future.
There is a really good possiblity of diesel cars and perhaps performance cars in the future. I just dont see GM having an option for it in the camaro. Although I would strongly consider it if there was. Like you said cutting edge tech and fuel economy gains might be reason enough to give it a chance at the very least
Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lo_jack

Vw TDI's are pretty quiet for about 10k then they sound just like any other smokin, stinkin, underperforming diesel. Dont run your mouth about how they can be made fast either, you can make a honda fast but that dont make it cool.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personaly, diesels dont smell bad, and they have tons of power, **** no im not not saying put it in a camaro, make some car with a v8 turbo diesel though, thatd be badass, and not all v8s knock bad and sound like ****, and not all are super heavy, do some research. anyhow, thatd be badass, good mileage, great power, enough to spin the tires and then some, and definatly a new aproach on marketing for gm

Quick Reply: Would you buy a small V8 Diesel Camaro?