Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Would you buy this???
HELLS YEAH!!! Fast is fast, how I get there does not matter, plus school bus sounds are sexy!!!
45.12%
HELL NO! Nearly 40 yrs of gas fueled V8s that make proper muscle car sounds.
54.88%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a small V8 Diesel Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why make another car just to carry a diesel? That would be a huge waste of money. You have the New camaro, Goat, G8, and Impy coming out...why not just dump it into those platforms. A standalone platform would be incredibly stupid. And if you do not want a diesel...do not buy one

W
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why make another car just to carry a diesel? That would be a huge waste of money. You have the New camaro, Goat, G8, and Impy coming out...why not just dump it into those platforms. A standalone platform would be incredibly stupid. And if you do not want a diesel...do not buy one

W
true, but I wouldn't touch it with a 200ft pole.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Something that I've wanted to do for a couple years. Diesel Muscle cars, imagine that torque!!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
fast is fast The dmax trucks get into the 12's pretty easy and they weigh like 6500+ lbs and still get almost 20 mpg. Now cut the weight in half. A low 10 sec car that will get 35-45 mpg. Yea they dont sound like a hot gas engine and the smell, but its worth in imo. Besides, its going to be the people behind you that smell that funky smell.
Oh and just think....a camaro with smoke stacks lol
wow, you call $12k pretty easy? how fast would an LSx based camaro be after dumping 12k in a motor?

look around www.performancetrucks.net in the dmax section and quit talking out your ***.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

What The F**k Is A "camaro?"
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 AM
10 Second Club

Turbo diesel would be alright. Just look at the big *** Dodge truck that are running 11's with turbo diesels. Imagine the possibilites to swap the turbo setup over to a LSx based engine.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

My "dirtymax" makes a **** load of torque, programmed with exhaust, and does make some older mustangs work a little in the 1\8th but after that it it runs out big time,so if 100mph suits ya, great! it gets 20mpg on the highway no more no less, so to double that mileage i'm not sure how? And I do think its sounds like crap! Diesels are for towing gas horsepower to the track!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Well who would not want a motor that they could buy a programmer and tell it yes I'd like to add another 100 HP and maybe 150 Foot Pounds or more. That would be an advantage for sure..
Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I don't care what makes it go fast, I am just happy that it goes fast. Diesel would be great so we could run yellow grease or biodiesel. I would buy one most definitely, I was actually thinking of doing something similiar to my car. Get a turboed V8 Diesel out of a Suburban or such and drop it in my bird. I would get the best of both worlds. Cheap, renewable fuel and a fast, mean car.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pheonix_rising
I don't care what makes it go fast, I am just happy that it goes fast. Diesel would be great so we could run yellow grease or biodiesel. I would buy one most definitely, I was actually thinking of doing something similiar to my car. Get a turboed V8 Diesel out of a Suburban or such and drop it in my bird. I would get the best of both worlds. Cheap, renewable fuel and a fast, mean car.
Not to mention diesels are tough as nails! Remember how everyone was bitching about the turbo-6 in the TTA? And look, it's one of the quickest and most desirable stock T/A's to date!

I say 'yes' to 'different' forms of power!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Why not?
I would def. consider it. My only concern is dirty, black smoke. other than that, I think it would awesome. Look at the mileage of a Audi 4 door TDI. Don't they get upwards of 40 mpg?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
lol These questions are getting pretty weird.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Hopefully before they offer that for any car they offer a new cleaner smoker in the 1500 Silverado, any Tahoe, Avalanche, or Suburban.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think it'd be cool to have a turbo diesel car. More options are great...

Imagine a 5.3 or 6.0 turbodiesel with 650RWTQ and 400RWHP, 2.42 gear, 6L80E and tabletop torque...you would frigging haul *** even at 4200 pounds and get ridiculous mpg LOL

BMW has one that is just sick...

Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Reading some of the older posts in this thread, a lot of them are really off base. I personally would not support a diesel Camaro but I would support a diesel platform of some sort from GM. I daily drive a 2006 VW. With the right engineering, diesel can be done right. Someone already said it and "diesels aren't what they used to be." My VW doesn't smell at all. The idea that diesels stink is non existent with that car. Someone said diesel is so high priced. Look at it now, cheaper than gas but of course this is just a time period and markets change. However, when it was $3/gal and gas was $2.25, I still didn't care. Everyone would come up to me and say "but diesel is so expensive." Who ******* cares? I'm getting almost 50 mpg, twice as much as a small gas car. Look at it that way then diesel is about $1.5 to a gasser's gallon. Look at the renewable fuels. You have to burn quite a bit more ethanol to get the same energy content as a gasoline. With biodiesel, it's very close to a 1:1 ratio. Plus you can make out of lots of stuff. Hopefully in a few years, they'll have the technology down and diesel will be an almost infinite fuel. Diesel is a hands down winner in my opinion. However, I hope most of you keep on hating the idea of diesel to keep the demand static. That way when gas goes up, diesel doesn't. Diesel has been the same price at my fave station for almost 6 months.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

there's talks of a diesel coming out in the 1/2 tons trucks... I think even that is pushing it for GM right now. Although I think its a pretty edgy idea, I dont think GM will stick their neck out to engineer such an animal.... JMO
Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
there's talks of a diesel coming out in the 1/2 tons trucks... I think even that is pushing it for GM right now. Although I think its a pretty edgy idea, I dont think GM will stick their neck out to engineer such an animal.... JMO
I think the 1/2 ton truck is doable but pushing it is diesel in a passenger car. No one embraces the idea. GM probably couldn't sell it. VW has the market cornered for that. They have their technology refined purty good.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I think the 1/2 ton truck is doable but pushing it is diesel in a passenger car. No one embraces the idea. GM probably couldn't sell it. VW has the market cornered for that. They have their technology refined purty good.
No, I think it is pretty much guaranteed that GM is making a small diesel for the 1/2 tons, simply because the Dodge boys across town have already announced a Cummins V8 t'diesel for the upcoming, brand spanking new '08 1500 Ram. GM isn't gonna sit by and let them do that, plus there were already talks of a small V8 diesel in the works for GM's European divisions, specifically Cadillac, and that was MONTHS ago...I'd expect to see this new diesel about the same time they start phasing in the new 6-speeds...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't buy anything with a diesel in it. I've heard all kind of set ups and I think they all sound like crap. If a diesel was offered in the new camaro I wouldn't buy it. I don't care about fuel economy in a muscle car.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LorcinLs1
I wouldn't buy anything with a diesel in it. I've heard all kind of set ups and I think they all sound like crap.
While I wouldn't buy a diesel Camaro, you all are killing me with the diesel bashing. Have you heard the new Duramax? Can't even hear it run. My VW has no significant noise level over the gas engine. Not much sound to be crap.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a small V8 Diesel Camaro?