Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Will you buy the '09 Camaro or wait for later models?
Buy the '09 for God's sake!
31.72%
Wait for cooler trim and engine options
68.28%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Is Anyone Afraid to Buy the New Camaro the First Year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never bought a new caar before, but I plan on making a Camaro my first. However, like I've readon here, I am worried that the dealer will jack up the price, so I don't have much of a plan to buy the first year.

Also, with new cars, can't you order what you want somehow? I mean, I would like to sit down with a sheet and check off what I want -- color, engine, wheels, etc. Need to see the first ones to know what I like.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me personally I would never buy the first year model, they are always screwey. Take the 99 silvys for example, smaller injectors, smaller cam, shitty computer among many other small differences.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

I wanna get one at this point if I can afford it in early 08 (I heard that's when the 09 comes out) I will probably buy it! I think warranty covers all those bug things that you know will come up! It's gotta be a nice drivetrain though at least 400hp 6 speed set-up!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

The only way I could possibly afford one would be to save every single penny I made
*college student*
Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I would say to hold off the first year, but GM wants to see $$$. If Camaro doesn't sell, GM will want to kill it again.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

The key is to get the non-enthusiast to buy a lot the 1st year. So they definitely make some nice models after that to try and pull in even more buyers.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will wait for the 2nd or 3rd year for more refinement and engine options. look what they did to the 04 gto to the 05 gto.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I would love to buy the first one that comes out just cause I love the model. But I don't wanna worry about the bugs and **** that might come w/ the first models. It will be hard to hold out though.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

my mom is going to buy the first year she is in love with them
Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

1. 08 vette will work out all the engine bugs for us. I'm pretty sure LS3 will be a shared V8.
2. This is going to be volume production so I doubt that dealers will get away with marking them up like GTOs, which were limited production. The gready dealers got stuck with them anyway.
3. I've been waiting too long already.
4. Minor upgrades I don't care about. 4th gens got better blowing manifolds, better heads, smaller then bigger injectors, and LS6 intakes as the years went by. By the time this happens to 5th gens I'll already have a better intake, headers, cam, etc. So I don't care.

If they decide to put a completely different engine that's noticably superior then I'll sell mine and get that. No biggie.

I'm buying as soon as I find 'the one.'

Originally Posted by LT Malice
Jeez, ya think? I refuse to pay a dealer anywhere near that. I wish there was some way to buy cars factory direct. I fuggin hate dealers.
I wish we could eliminate this middle man. Maybe I should start a 1 car dealership. Just get my camaro and close the doors.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Teching In

I think that i would be alittle hesitant to buy it the first year as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

For all of us wanting to wait for 10' 11' models...i think what i will do is hold off like the rest and keep an eye on the car and how well its doing...if i see or hear of ANY word that GM wasn't satisfied and is going to end it....then thats the time where i make sure i pick up a first year...
Old 03-16-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

As stated before, there really shouldn't be any bugs with the engines/electronics because the V8's are being put through their paces with the G8, Corvette, and the V6's are already a done deal as far as refinement goes. I'd be more worried about little nit-picky stuff like window motors....although I think GM will do everything in their power to keep that lovely little nuisance from happening again. It still makes me shudder looking in the door only to find a half-operational scissor deathtrap just waiting to cut my hand open....*shudders*
Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

You pay a big premium to have a new model in it's first year:

- Inflated pricing - V8's will likely be MSRP or higher
- Mechanical problems - this is not a myth, validation budgets are smaller and smaller these days so many things make it out of the gates being somewhat nominal. Big problems are usually fixed as running changes and can happen at any time. Smaller problems are usually held for a model year change.

But... you have a warranty... and having new is worth something. More than anything, really. First year model sales will likely be 100% of production.

So... smart buyers always wait at least until the 2nd year, if they can stand to do so. By that time the big problems have been addressed (usually), many small tweaks have been made, and the plant workers are actually accostomed to building the cars.

For me... I am the target audience for this car. Aged 25-35 with solid income, and a fan of GM and the F-body.

But I probably won't be in line with for this car. From what I can tell the ones you want are going to be too expensive, and kinda portly to boot. I don't want my Camaro to look like a Chrysler product.

Hopefully I am wrong, we'll see.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

If i had the money I would buy ir right away!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is lol
Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Why wait another two years?? Another couple years closer to death... F@#k that!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

gm wont kill it after 1 year.. even if sales are as horrible as gto's were, it will still ride out at least 3 years, giving the enthusiasts time to pick one up used with low miles. i think that it will be a good seller. dealers might mark up the nice v8 models a little bit, but if they ever want to sell a base model, they wont mark it up much at all, if they want to compete with mustangs.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Being a college student graduating in '08 I'm probably only dreaming about the next gen Camaro; but I'd love to sign my name next to the X and sit an '09 next to my '69 Z

And don't want to be a big mouth noob, and not trying to step on anyones toes; but to whoever was saying that an SS is superior to a Z28 is just wrong. While you have every right to have a preference, it's hard to say one is superior to the other. They were totally different cars, at least originally; the Z28 was practically a stripped down no frills performance machine with that screamer of a 302, GMs best attempt at a Trans Am race car, and a damn good one at that. Not saying the SS didn't perform, because that certainly did; but was designed to be full of options, comfort amenities, even a big block! Different cars appealing to different buyers. Skip ahead a few decades to the 4th gen which most of us have when the f-bodies, as much as we love them, were reduced to corporate packages forced upon us. No more handpicked options from the original f-cars. While the differences between a modern Z and SS aren't as significant, today the different Camaros, from a base V6 to a SS loaded to the ***** are different cars that appeal to different buyers, and each buyer loves their car as much as the next guy/gal (hopefully!)

The concept camaro was what you might call a plain jane by definition, not a special trim level but a base level V8 camaro (that happened to have a sweet *** interior haha); I'd be more than happy with that. But if possible I'll take another Z!!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Wait until used one's hit the market, then it's worth the money.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sbcpower
Being a college student graduating in '08 I'm probably only dreaming about the next gen Camaro; but I'd love to sign my name next to the X and sit an '09 next to my '69 Z

And don't want to be a big mouth noob, and not trying to step on anyones toes; but to whoever was saying that an SS is superior to a Z28 is just wrong. While you have every right to have a preference, it's hard to say one is superior to the other. They were totally different cars, at least originally; the Z28 was practically a stripped down no frills performance machine with that screamer of a 302, GMs best attempt at a Trans Am race car, and a damn good one at that. Not saying the SS didn't perform, because that certainly did; but was designed to be full of options, comfort amenities, even a big block! Different cars appealing to different buyers. Skip ahead a few decades to the 4th gen which most of us have when the f-bodies, as much as we love them, were reduced to corporate packages forced upon us. No more handpicked options from the original f-cars. While the differences between a modern Z and SS aren't as significant, today the different Camaros, from a base V6 to a SS loaded to the ***** are different cars that appeal to different buyers, and each buyer loves their car as much as the next guy/gal (hopefully!)

The concept camaro was what you might call a plain jane by definition, not a special trim level but a base level V8 camaro (that happened to have a sweet *** interior haha); I'd be more than happy with that. But if possible I'll take another Z!!

PLEASE research the history of performance of the first-gen cars first. You're obviously not seeing the SS and the Z2/8 comparison right.

No toes stepped on here. I'd rather inform you than bash you for no reason.