TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish theyd do a targa like the vettes have
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
I wish theyd do a targa like the vettes have

it would be bigger than the targa in a vette, so it will not happen.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

I think that could be good news. Our Z06 is only offered as a Hard Top because of the twisting developed with the higher H.P. Z06.

Perhaps GM is putting enough H.P. in the Camaro to require a full hard top.

Glass is also very heavy.

All any of us can do is hope. Hope Chevrolet provides the correct car. One that people are willing to pay sticker, perhaps ever a little over to own a new Camaro.

It would be sad to think folks shelled out over sticker price for a Mini Cooper, The New Bug, and at one time the P.T Cruiser. But only would buy the new Camero at invoice or less. Shopped every dealer via the internet to confirm they received the lowest price. Then mentioned when they went to trade in a few years how the sticker value of their Camaro had fallen so fast.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Glass is also very heavy.
That's part of the problem.
Due to the size of the roof, glass would be too heavy.
Lexan would be too expensive ($2500 t-tops? They were $990 in 2002)
And plastic isn't strong enough.

Regardless of all of that, it still wouldn't look right anyway.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
That's part of the problem.
Due to the size of the roof, glass would be too heavy.
Lexan would be too expensive ($2500 t-tops? They were $990 in 2002)
And plastic isn't strong enough.

Regardless of all of that, it still wouldn't look right anyway.
So I guess our best bet would be either a hardtop vert or one of those razorback sunroofs like in the G6 huh?

What about twin sunroofs made to look like T-Tops that retract but actually have some structure between the glass and the door? That'd be neat as hell! It would keep the body fairly stiff and keep the safety levels up, but still offer that 'open top' feeling. A retractable targa would be nice too! I guess that'd just be called a big sunroof right?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

Oh Lord please no. Not a folding hard top. The car looks good with the top down but all the extra stuff to make a powered hard top adds hundreds of pounds. Besides the first folding hard top I remember was on a 1957 Ford. Please don't copy an idea that failed in the 50's because most folks here weren't born. Don't we learn by our mistakes?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh Lord please no. Not a folding hard top. The car looks good with the top down but all the extra stuff to make a powered hard top adds hundreds of pounds. Besides the first folding hard top I remember was on a 1957 Ford. Please don't copy an idea that failed in the 50's because most folks here weren't born. Don't we learn by our mistakes?
The Ford 500(Galaxie?) Skyliner right? That was pretty bad....the whole roof just went into a gigantic tonneau cover, no folding or anything. Pretty much destroyed the trunk space when the top was down....
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

T-tops are fun but not for me. I don't care if they offer them but I think the cars work and look better without them.

You'll probably see an option for a "double sun roof"/Skyview panel this seems to be popular with automakers.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think a targa top would be pretty damn cool, but t tops could look a little tacky on the new Camaro. Like someone said up there, weren't any on the first gens...

Anyways I don't know. If Chevy offered it, I'd probably go for it. Something I just like about a glass roof lol.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pontiac G6 hard top
Numerous Mercedes
That one Cadillac
That SSR

Hard tops are getting better.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate convertibles and hardtops, that leaves me with few options, and the new camaro better have one of them!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly Ttops are not an issue to me. I take my Ttops out once in a blue moon. Its not a thing that I can't live without.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sunroof would be cool!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Default It needs t-tops

Hey, this is my first post so go easy on me. It definitly needs t-tops. To the people who say the '69 camaro didn't have t-tops: this camaro is not a '69, it is a 2009; whether or not the '69 camaro had t-tops has nothing to do with if the 2009 should, it only took styling cues. Also, the roof is much bigger, but a solution to that is to make it a hatchback (I can't tell if it already is or not) and raise the rear glass up to about where the doors start. If the problem does exist with twisting and frame stability, if a convertible can be made, then t-tops can be made. On a plus side, the t-bar adds much support and it can even be made stronger. Convertible t-tops can also be made taking the concept from convertible hardtops, having the back lift up, the t-tops fold under it, and then the back goes back into place. My final note, I hear the GTO is being killed again. If it is, then the firebird better make its return, and if they put t-tops only on that, I would be just fine with that--the firebird has always been better.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

T-tops never made sense to me, if you want open air get vert if not get the hard top, t-top just seemed half a$$ed in between to me.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like t-tops and have had numerous t-top cars but I honestly dont think the new camaro would look good with them... Its not go the looks of a long wheel base 87 monte ss .. Its a shorter base looking more stout of a car.. The new camaro not having t-tops wouldnt change my decission on buying one reguardless.

Quick Reply: So, no T-tops in the new camaro, wtf?