Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Baldwin Motion 5th Gen Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baldwin Motion 5th Gen Camaro?

Check out what I found on www.officialbaldwinmotion.com. Check out the web site and scroll down a little to see about the fifth gen, but there is some cool history on the site about the motion cars.

IS THERE A PHASE lV CAMARO IN YOUR FUTURE?

Chevrolet may be a little late coming to the party, but the proposed new Camaro has what takes to "spank" the 'Stang and get the Bowtie Brigade dancin' in the streets!

On January 13, Jim Mateja, Auto Editor, Chicago Tribune, headlined his coverage of the Detroit Auto Show, "CAMARO DRIVES OFF WITH AUTO SHOW BUZZ", FOLLOWED BY "THE CHEVROLET CAMARO CONCEPT STOLE THE SHOW."

We at Baldwin-Motion couldn't agree more!

GM's Director Of Design, Tom Peters, who owns a 1969 Camaro powered by a ZL-1 engine, truly defined what a modern day production musclecar should look and run like. The fully functioning Camaro concept, built on an 112-inch wheelbase GTO platform, is powered by a 400-hp LS2 6.0 small-block hooked up to a six-speed transmission. Like the Baldwin-Motion 540 Camaro SuperCoupe, it has 14-inch disc brakes all around. Kudos to Peters and his staff.

According to GM Vice-Chairman and product guru, Bob Lutz, the production target is 120 to 150,000 units per year. And GM's Vice-President of Global Design, Ed Welburn, a 1969 Camaro owner, was also quoted in the Chicago Tribune, "A convertible is in the works."

< Click to visit the Chevy site and see the new concept Camaro.

Kris Horton, working with Joel Rosen and Larry Jaworske, penned the prototype Baldwin-Motion SuperCoupe design, and he’s been feverishly working on concepts for a limited-production Phase IV version of the next generation Camaro. Fresh from winning GM's Best Design Award at SEMA for the SuperCoupe, Horton is one of the hottest young automotive designers around.

"When Chevrolet builds the next generation Camaro, Baldwin-Motion will be ready with a Phase IV version available from select Chevrolet dealers. In the tradition of the original Baldwin-Motion Camaros, the Phase IV Camaro will be quicker, faster and turn more heads than any new musclecar from Motown. Like the SuperCoupe, I'll sign each one," said Joel 'Mr. Motion' Rosen.

It will be cool if they come through but I bet they will cost a ton of money.
Here is the best pic I could find.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's been on their site for several months.

Still would be cool to see though!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

A performance name from the past. That's what Chevrolet needs again.

I doubt that you can doctor an order sheet and send it to Chevrolets head office any more and end up with High Performance car any different than anyone else can order.

So true mass producers and sellers of Chevrolet need to step up and make Complete High Performance Packages in my opinion. Sell something completely off the wall, limited production, 6 mths waiting list
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

I wonder what performance level you guys would expect if someone, a Chevrolet Dealer, stepped up and built a Super Camaro?

Packing up some old magazines recently I came across a 1971 performance magazine that tested all performance cars. This was the first year GM had dropped compression. Gone was Chevrolets 302 and Oldsmobiles 350 in the W-31 package. Motions 71 Camaro was a 454 / 500 h.p. (4) speed. Ran 11:60 or 70 @ 117 mph This was perhaps 2.000 quicker than any GM off the shelf product. So, if the new 2009 L2 Camaro runs low 13's stock would you be happy? And say a Z28 or something came along later that ran 12.8, in good hands, would that be OK? What would an after market off the shelf car need to run to make you guys happy? What would you be willing to pay? Would you expect a 5 yr. 100K GM engine tranny warranty 3 yr. 36 K Bumper to Bumper?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

for an aftermarket/off the shelf i would like to see atleast low 12's, and for that i think upwards of 47k, 48k and jakes dad has it nailed on the warranty....
Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Even if GM built 47 to 48K sounds reasonable. You'll have sales tax some of you might come up with 10% down. I think 44K is a good estimate to use. Another estimate is 20.00 per thousand for a 60 mth term. How about 880.00 a month plus insurance. About the time GM is bought out by someone they might offer 0% interest or 16.66 per thousand. That lowers your payment to 733.48 for 60 mths. plus insurance. Kids when you look at the numbers who in their right friggen mind would build such a car? Then let US cowboys drive it under a warranty? The days of High performance cars are over. Sorry you just weren't born during the right time. If you want a quick car, build it.

A stock 454 Camaro from Motion or any other dealer would have only needed a M40 and slicks to run low 11's or even 10's. In the late 60's FACTORY auto Corvettes were rumored to be in the 10's with the 427. A 454 is an easier engine to manage. Oh well enjoy!!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Since I am talking to myself, I'll paint another picture. For 10K you can pick up A Camaro. For 8K Jegs will give you a 509. For another 10 you'll have it on the street. So, for under 30K you'll have your street driven race car.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm all for ressurecting these old nameplates from the past. Motion, Nickey, and Yenko should all offer packages for the new Camaro.These dealerships don't need to sell in volume to make a profit, and they'll be renewing a legend that American cars have been without for too long. We need a special edition, limited production Camaro that will put cars like the highest model Saleen Mustang to shame, both in styling and performance. That's something that performance-oriented dealerships can deliver. GM need not build this beast, they merely need to work with the dealerships that want to build them on the warranty terms. As for who will buy them, quite simply, older people who grew up around the time these cars were around, but didn't have the money to buy them at the time, then, after a while, they'll hit the used market and trickle down to the typical Z28/SS buyer. Just my .02.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Yes, I wish all the larger stronger Chevrolet dealers would jump on a SPECIAL Camaro.

Back when all this performance stuff started GM Performance Parts wasn't as available as it is today. SLP and some of the other GM supported houses weren't here either. If the dealer was smart, performance oriented, circled the correct boxes, any dealer could tag on to a Yanko, Motion, etc. special order, and get something different. You also weren't talking the money you are today. Todays customer wants this and that special feature added to their ride. Unless they, this new super Camaros all one color and a single package, or stage 1, 2, 4, I don't think we'll see it. Today GM is into the accessories business. They hadn't thought about that in the 60's We, sales associates, are expected to PIMP the ride with extras. Now you spend an extra 10 hours going over all the factory stuff for a mini deal? Because as soon as I give YOU GUYS the correct #'s, AND PRICE, you're going shopping for the best price. I think many of you already do that with the sponsors here, at this page.That was SLP's problem. Too much money for stuff that yielded the same performance for less

This stuff is always fun to talk about. Who at GM is listening? If the public buys the car, dealers stock the car, there will be stuff offered. Or it might just be another Trailblazer SS, Silverado SS, or SSR

Quick Reply: Baldwin Motion 5th Gen Camaro?