Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

What is a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyKeE
thats actually what a corvette is, or was i should say.
anchor man !
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Camaro means friend or Companion , but in french it means small shrimp like creature so during the release in 67 the press had a ball with making fun!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Wikipedia it
Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

I hope the replacement for the old F-Body, whatever its name, doesn't have many friends in the auto industry. I don't think Chrysler is an issue because they are broke. Ford has the Mustang but only a few versions of the Mustang are selling. The balance are stock units setting in inventory.

Whatever Chevrolet does rest assure not everyone will like it. Not everyone will buy the car. Rest assured it won't be an entry level vehicle. From what I've learned there are no SS Cobalts in 2008. While many of you don't like Cobalts or really anything under 400 cuin's I still think the tuner car, entry level car truck vehicles is a direction GM needs to look. The auto industry needs to copy the food industry. As early as possible hook the kids. When the kids are hooked they will return again and again. Some how the industry has lost brand loyality. GM needs to push every vehicle towards brand loyality.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cruz28
First of all, learn how to spell Camaro. Camaro is latin for camara which means friend and some of the other definitions given above. Camara is slang for camarada which means commrade.
I think its actually a French word, Still means commrade or friends though. Thats what i heard at least.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I have heard the Shrimp theory as well..
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Camaro: Indian for "fill this ************ up..... again."
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wpnsman2000
Though the car's name was contrived with no meaning, GM researchers reportedly found the word in a French dictionary as a slang term for "friend" or "companion." In some automotive periodicals before official release, it was code-named "Panther," however, the project designation for the Camaro was XP-836 and some early GM photos show the final Camaro body labeled "Chaparral". Automotive press asked Chevrolet product managers "What is a Camaro?", and they were told it was "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs". The name conveniently fit Chevrolet's "C" naming structure that included Corvair, Chevelle, Chevy II, and Corvette.

That's the truth.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro does mean comrade
I hate when people say camero, camaro, or Z car. fckin idiots Z car is a datsun, the others are nothing, right there with noss

The original camaro was supposed to be a lightweight, good handling, kinda fast, AFFORDABLE, fun 4 seater
As much as we all want a beast right outta the box, you can't have it all unless you get a Z06 vette then ya gotta pay!
They need to build a $19,000 dollar fun car with muscular attitude and potential waiting to be unlocked. Then maybe add a $35,000 monster of an RS/SS package. GM priced the camaro out of it's market's reach.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

that like asking what corvette means or silverado?? the list could go on...it just fits!

Read under ORIGIN!!
Though the car's name was contrived with no meaning, GM researchers reportedly found the word in a French dictionary as a slang term for "friend" or "companion."
http://www.reference.com/search?r=13&q=Camaro
Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So not to disagree with Scott Settlemeir... ... but something tells me that's his description is actually an after the fact description and while it's true, I bet it's not how they first came up with the name, but rather was the deciding factor in using the name.

Kind of long explanation, but here goes:

So I'm driving through Italy and pass a town named..."Fiera" stuck me as odd because I used to own a "Fiero." But didn't pay much attention, but
I did remember Chevy having the "Corsica" which is also a place in Italy. But then about an hour later as we approached Milan, I passed a sign for...ok...wait for it...here it is..."Corvetto." Ok, I said no F'in way that's a coincidence. So we made our way to Florence spent the weekend and drove back home with the city name "Corvetto" still on my mind. As soon as I got home I hit the internet and looked up "Camaro, IT" and wouldn't you know it, Camaro is a town in Sicily. So I bet, the town was named because it meant "friend" and Camaro was first picked because it was a nice sounding name and another Italian city and the "friend" thing just sealed the deal...just my two cents.

Here's the mapquest link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...amaro&zipcode=
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
"I believe Camaro is an old old wooden ship used during the civil war era..."
Champ Kind: What in the hell's diversity?

Ron Burgundy: Well, I could be wrong, but I believe, uh, diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

had to toss that in there LOVE that movie
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Camaro: Mans' best friend.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Camaro was picked as a name meaning "Commrade" or "Friend"
A very fitting and appropriate name if you ask me.
And yes, I will begin to threaten bans for using a E in the name.
1. TRUE
2. I agree.
3. Hell yeah. Ban dumbasses. I @ guys who run a for sale ad for their "Camero" and right there in the pictures is "Camaro" on their car. Not enough chlorine in the gene pool somedays.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
So not to disagree with Scott Settlemeir... ... but something tells me that's his description is actually an after the fact description and while it's true, I bet it's not how they first came up with the name, but rather was the deciding factor in using the name.

Kind of long explanation, but here goes:

So I'm driving through Italy and pass a town named..."Fiera" stuck me as odd because I used to own a "Fiero." But didn't pay much attention, but
I did remember Chevy having the "Corsica" which is also a place in Italy. But then about an hour later as we approached Milan, I passed a sign for...ok...wait for it...here it is..."Corvetto." Ok, I said no F'in way that's a coincidence. So we made our way to Florence spent the weekend and drove back home with the city name "Corvetto" still on my mind. As soon as I got home I hit the internet and looked up "Camaro, IT" and wouldn't you know it, Camaro is a town in Sicily. So I bet, the town was named because it meant "friend" and Camaro was first picked because it was a nice sounding name and another Italian city and the "friend" thing just sealed the deal...just my two cents.

Here's the mapquest link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...amaro&zipcode=

I Just got back from living for three months in Firenze (Florence, for those non-italian speakers)... I kinda like your theory..

-hey, where in the Bay Area?? We're pretty few and far between here. (sorry )

Quick Reply: What is a Camaro