Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

More engine rumors.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea how can the fuel economy be going down. Those fuel economy numbers tell us that this is going to be a heavy vehicle. If they could have reduced the vehicle weight, then they could afford to put a larger engine in it and still get decent fuel economy + more power. The best of both worlds
If they are they worried about fuel prices and are going to charge a premium for the vehicle as well, they may as well just stick a hybrid in it and be the first to the market with a performance hybrid.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Haha, anyone remember the "Iron Duke"? Not the first time a 4 cylinder has been in an F-Body.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
4th gen m6 v8s were 19/29mpg. I don't see them doing worse than this.
big difference between a 3600lbs 4th gen and a over weight 5th gen approaching 4000.

The premium pricing, just an excuse to increase the price.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tj1986c
This time, the V6 is 260-odd horsepower, four overhead cams, very smooth and decent 0-to-60-mph times. And now the V6 is in its own right a very fast, very legitimate car.
I believe very fast is a VERY relative term, my 305 CI Silverado feels very fast compared to my friends 4cyl S10

Originally Posted by tj1986c
We are going to be above Mustang,” Lutz said. “We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang.
So who exactly are they going to market this car too The mustang has stayed alive because of the LARGE volume of AFFORDABLE V6 models. GM's got some big ***** if they think people are just gonna bend over and pay a big sticker just because GM thinks they should. Don't they realize the opportunity in front of them to push the mustang off its pedestal? I have faith in GM engineers to put out a good car, but the big whigs and bean counters at the General are going to gonna f**k up what could be a golden oppurtunity.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Considering this is the first time in the history of the Corvette to have a supercharged engine from the factory, I think it can be good to offer a turbo'ed 4 banger as a replacement or addition to the V6. They have to change with the times, and the fuel requirements are going to change things whether we like it (or are used to it) or not. Personally I'll be waiting for the V8 or SS, but for those out there that just want a hot looking car, or don't have the change to afford the top model, this will be a viable alternative, and will still be able to spank the V6 mustangs...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'd imagine they'd use the same engines that are in the G8. You know, since it's on the same platform and all.

EDIT:

I test drove a SS HHR. That turbo ecotec is impressive for what it is. It's no V8, but it's still fun to drive, especially when that turbo kicks in. Oh god, the turbo!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Hm... Im wondering now if our Pony Cars are going to be replaced in 10+ years by alternative affordable 2+2 sports cars. Or would our entire pony car community be accepting of engines like these as standard? The old "Iron Duke" was a 4 cylinder... and we've had a production turbo'd V6s in 2nd and 3rd gen F-Bodies, so it wouldnt be a new thing, but these have just been trials or special edition cars in the past.

To be honest, I could careless what we have in our base models, rather it be an I4 or a V6... I just hope if they keep all of our cars around that they stick with V8s in the top trims.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

premium pricing is a bad idea in this economy.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Dan
11 Second Club

The car sounds like it has failed before it's even produced..Lutz the Putz is an ******* & a cocky bastard. If this car doesn't sell, some people need to get fired & he is #1 on the list..How long have they been saying the car was going to compete with the Mustang in price? I think the reason they haven't mentioned the price or the drivetrain is because they are ******* clueless and had to start from scratch again because the EPA lowered the boom.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=MeentSS02;8966337]...and you thought I was joking when I told you that I had heard from a reliable source that the Camaro would end up with a 4 cylinder engine.

at least the GT guys would finaly be able to say they beat a camaro
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If we have to pay premium price for this car then it better do everything that a premium priced car can do. You can buy a BMW just under 30, saw the commercial for the 1 series last night. With the exception of die hard loyalists to american automobiles, who will want a base camaro thats premium priced? Or want to pay premium price for a base car? I would rather have a truck. Teenagers and 20 somethings are quickly not becoming loyal to anything other than cheap and can customize for cheap. They will want a scion. I don't think it will live on its killer looks alone. I don't care what base engines they throw in it honestly. What I do care about is the longevity of this product and if its not priced right, its GAME OVER! Its really that simple. Bad economy mixed with super high oil prices are going to drive average consumers to cheaper more affordable throw-away cars that they can turn in for a new one every 2-3 years.

Last edited by B4CZR2; 03-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=deputyss;8979058]
Originally Posted by MeentSS02
...and you thought I was joking when I told you that I had heard from a reliable source that the Camaro would end up with a 4 cylinder engine.

at least the GT guys would finaly be able to say they beat a camaro
Until they hit a corner....A turbo Ecotec Camaro would have lightweight cobined with near perfect 50/50 weight bias. All that combined with a modern chassis designed by Holden and a fantastic IRS with LSD...makes a possible ecotec turbo Camaro an EVIL road racer....Can you say Z/28?

Seriously, that IRS is designed to take the punishment of the 300hp+ sixes and eights, a 260hp turbo four with a bit of turbo lag would mean no wheel hop and an incredibly stable car....
Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Hydramatic;8980823]
Originally Posted by deputyss

Until they hit a corner....A turbo Ecotec Camaro would have lightweight cobined with near perfect 50/50 weight bias. All that combined with a modern chassis designed by Holden and a fantastic IRS with LSD...makes a possible ecotec turbo Camaro an EVIL road racer....Can you say Z/28?

Seriously, that IRS is designed to take the punishment of the 300hp+ sixes and eights, a 260hp turbo four with a bit of turbo lag would mean no wheel hop and an incredibly stable car....
I don't think this will happen because GM already has three cars that do this job better; Corvette, Solstice and Sky.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

The problem I see is where does the Camaro fit now in the line up of GM Vehicles? First everyone was talking about a 500hp monster, now we are talking about a 260hp 4 banger..Blame GM for everything. If they got off their *** & had this car in production & on the streets now, we wouldn't be talking about any of this "Green" crap.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think each engine has it's merits. Within about two years, you'll start seeing 500whp solstice gxp's etc. with close to stock longblocks. The way to gear the little dude to get a 3500 lb car moving is not that big of a deal. STI's and EVO's weigh almost as much and seem to run pretty good.

The direct injection on the v6 would be a nice thing to have in the v8. the o.e. injectors in the Solstice GXP appear to be good for 500whp+ from the duty cycles a friend of mine has seen so far....so double the number of injectors and wah-lah. That technology for the LS may be off a couple years yet, but they're undoubtedly working on it.

As for price, face it...the CAMARO is light years beyond the mustang in terms of technology and probably fit and finish as well. That costs money. If you give me a choice between quality and a poorly screwed together p.o.s, I'll spend the extra money once for an opportunity to buy the car that I'm going to own forever. EVERYTHING is going to cost more money now. For those of us living back in 1988, just get used to it. Hell, even then IROC's were selling in the upper 20's.

This car needs to be pitched to EVERYONE to remain in production, not just pure gearheads. A green hybrid ecofriendly version will keep us from being a target of the ecoterrorists and bureaucrats. That way I can use up the last of the gasoline doing burnouts.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

If the camaro get the cts motor (V6) then the v6 will have more hp then the shitstang GT right if so that is for the mustangs
Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

people generally don't view the camaro as a 'premium' car & it will be almost impossible to change that perception, whether the fit & finish is better than the mustang or not.

Quick Reply: More engine rumors.........