Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

6th gen convertible revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

bro,unless GM gives me a smoking deal on a 5th gen 1le you just sold me on a 6th gen.

i remember when ls1 fbodies came out. LT1 owners claimed over and over their motors were still better. despite obvious proof it wasnt they still argued for years after. funny thing is a lot of them purchased LS powered vehicles later on lol.

as a fifth gen was about to arrive despite all the positive press it got numerous members here continued to say how flawed the car was and how it would fail.

i was even criticized when i defended the car on this board lol. i knew it was going to be a hit from the beginning. while a lot of people supported this car there certainly was a ton of badmouthing of it too and from GM vehicle owners which i couldnt understand. i was quick to point out while it wasnt perfect nor the fastest car in its class imo it was the best looking with a ton of potential.

now im reading a 6th gen looks like a mustang!

this surpasses almost anything ive read even from obvious members who try to pretend they like all brands when we can see right through their crap.

happy 4th and when you see a 6th gen ask the owner what ford dealer he got it at. lmao!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Anyone here ever went from a 4th gen camaro to a 5th gen Camaro.... do you have any regrets at all what so ever?
I'm really thinking about biting the bullet on a new camaro.....
I currently own a 2000 M6 cammed Z28 and I'm 6'1" by the way....
Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

roof lines are low on 5th gens. it wasnt a problem for me but im only 5' 10".

as far as 4th gen vs gen 5th for a DD its not contest. 5th gen. easily.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

With me owning a cammed 4th gen and I basically have no time to go to track do to work/family and race the car I'm really considering going this route but not convertible. Guess I need to start really building/finding a way to get my credit score high so I can afford payments.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
bro,unless GM gives me a smoking deal on a 5th gen 1le you just sold me on a 6th gen.

i remember when ls1 fbodies came out. LT1 owners claimed over and over their motors were still better. despite obvious proof it wasnt they still argued for years after. funny thing is a lot of them purchased LS powered vehicles later on lol.

as a fifth gen was about to arrive despite all the positive press it got numerous members here continued to say how flawed the car was and how it would fail.

i was even criticized when i defended the car on this board lol. i knew it was going to be a hit from the beginning. while a lot of people supported this car there certainly was a ton of badmouthing of it too and from GM vehicle owners which i couldnt understand. i was quick to point out while it wasnt perfect nor the fastest car in its class imo it was the best looking with a ton of potential.

now im reading a 6th gen looks like a mustang!

this surpasses almost anything ive read even from obvious members who try to pretend they like all brands when we can see right through their crap.

happy 4th and when you see a 6th gen ask the owner what ford dealer he got it at. lmao!
Same here. Got in a couple heated debates about it. They all ate crow the 5th gen was a success.

Happy 4th
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Anyone here ever went from a 4th gen camaro to a 5th gen Camaro.... do you have any regrets at all what so ever?
I'm really thinking about biting the bullet on a new camaro.....
I currently own a 2000 M6 cammed Z28 and I'm 6'1" by the way....
I went from a 4th gen. I'll give you an honest comparison.

#1. If your thinking you will notice a large performance increase you won't. My 4th gen with comparable mods was just as fast as my 5th. If your upgrading solely for 1/4 mile performance you will be disappointed.

#2. I'm 6'0 240 my 5th generation had no sun roof (these make it tighter) and didn't have any problems with head room. It's close with a helmet. Depending on torso length people an honest 6'2-3 and above could hit the roof with a helmet.

#3. They are hard to see out of the back compared to your average vehicle. It didn't bother me that much.

#4. This kind of goes with #1. The sense of speed and rawness is toned down quite a bit with the 5th gen. It's a lot smoother and more controlled. Quieter inside and better ride. A lot heavier and you can feel it sometimes.
This somewhat numbs the driving experience compared to a 4th gen. Depending on your preferences you should really drive one before you buy. To me it was love hate. I would like something in between. Hoping the 6th gen being lighter and the lower dash line will improve overall driving feel/excitement.

Overall it's a great car and the overall quality was great. Very well built. They are nice cars. Drive one quite a bit before you decide. If you can swing it and patient enough wait for a 6th gen
Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I went from a 4th gen. I'll give you an honest comparison.

#1. If your thinking you will notice a large performance increase you won't. My 4th gen with comparable mods was just as fast as my 5th. If your upgrading solely for 1/4 mile performance you will be disappointed.

#2. I'm 6'0 240 my 5th generation had no sun roof (these make it tighter) and didn't have any problems with head room. It's close with a helmet. Depending on torso length people an honest 6'2-3 and above could hit the roof with a helmet.

#3. They are hard to see out of the back compared to your average vehicle. It didn't bother me that much.

#4. This kind of goes with #1. The sense of speed and rawness is toned down quite a bit with the 5th gen. It's a lot smoother and more controlled. Quieter inside and better ride. A lot heavier and you can feel it sometimes.
This somewhat numbs the driving experience compared to a 4th gen. Depending on your preferences you should really drive one before you buy. To me it was love hate. I would like something in between. Hoping the 6th gen being lighter and the lower dash line will improve overall driving feel/excitement.

Overall it's a great car and the overall quality was great. Very well built. They are nice cars. Drive one quite a bit before you decide. If you can swing it and patient enough wait for a 6th gen

Now..... This is the type of response I wanted to hear/needed to know. Thanks for that post.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

keep in mind 5th gens did end up getting a backing camera which is extremely helpful. at least the one i drove for a week did.

and while at first they feel big and heavy after some driving time i realized how tight the car is. i was impressed how well it handled and could only imagine what a 1le would feel like.

inside mine had a touch screen which was very nice and convenient.

also,dont be turned off by an L99. they run strong for what they are and few minor upgrades really wake it up.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep in mind 5th gens did end up getting a backing camera which is extremely helpful. at least the one i drove for a week did.

and while at first they feel big and heavy after some driving time i realized how tight the car is. i was impressed how well it handled and could only imagine what a 1le would feel like.

inside mine had a touch screen which was very nice and convenient.

also,dont be turned off by an L99. they run strong for what they are and few minor upgrades really wake it up.
About the back up camera. I think for 2016 backup cameras are standard for all models which is nice. Parking sensors might be standard as well can't remember.

+1 on the l99. Stock they are a bit underwhelming. But just a tune really wakes them up. GM really neutered them...

Obviously the 5th is far less appealing to me because I owned one for 4 years. It's no contest that I would want a 6th gen instead now lol.

Like I said the 5th gen is/was a great car. But it looks like GM really made it a lot better this time around. If anyone has the option and or doesn't want to wait I highly suggest waiting or at least drive both... This car is really going to be something for the price range.
I think many will have regrets that don't wait after its all said and done.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

How much more money would it be to own a 1LE over a regular SS car?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 3500 dollar option.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

around 3500. i priced one many times on chevrolets web site. it comes with a ton of stuff though.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

My 2010 SS did not have the backup cam. I think it came into play in 2012 but the sunroof is a must if you are a taller person. The 5th gens are tight on the inside but do give you a ton of leg room. Things I liked about the 5th gen over my 5.0.

1- Much better seats and leather is also better to.

2- Leg room is better

3- Handling was better over the 5.0

4 - 5th gen does look better

5- O yeah you can get a sunroof

My 5.0 blew away the Camaro in the performance department wasn't even close for me modded it got worse. Also my 5th gen drove like **** road walked way to much the mustang drives better hands down. All though the 2013 and newer 5th gen has updated suspension drove one much more improved. If I was just getting a DD I would go 2013 or newer Camaro if I was going for something to race the 2011-14 5.0 is the way to go.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
My 2010 SS did not have the backup cam. I think it came into play in 2012 but the sunroof is a must if you are a taller person. The 5th gens are tight on the inside but do give you a ton of leg room. Things I liked about the 5th gen over my 5.0.

1- Much better seats and leather is also better to.

2- Leg room is better

3- Handling was better over the 5.0

4 - 5th gen does look better

5- O yeah you can get a sunroof

My 5.0 blew away the Camaro in the performance department wasn't even close for me modded it got worse. Also my 5th gen drove like **** road walked way to much the mustang drives better hands down. All though the 2013 and newer 5th gen has updated suspension drove one much more improved. If I was just getting a DD I would go 2013 or newer Camaro if I was going for something to race the 2011-14 5.0 is the way to go.
+1 on the road walking/ tracking.
My 4th gen did it too when I went with squared 275s on 17s. After driving them for a bit I got used to it. Eventually got aftermarket rims and tires on my 2010. Didn't track as bad then.

Not sure if the tracking is a camaro thing but I would guess it's the rim/ tire setup and alignment more than anything.

2012 was the update to the fe4 suspension btw...

And can't argue about the 5.0 being faster. it will not blow away the ls3 all things equal traction etc. L99 has it rough especially stock.

Wonder what will happen this time? Both the same weight roughly. Both have irs. We will truly get a motor to motor comparison ( or close to it with the manuals, camaro auto has 8 speed slight advantage)

Equal weights camaro up 20 hp and 55 tq. 8 speed auto. Time for the mustang to get blown away .

Considering the 15 up gt is pretty much tying the current 1le at the strip in the mags... My prediction...PAIN ( as Clubber Lang would say lol)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

anything think a stock 11 sec 1/4 slip is possible with a 6th gen?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

anything think a stock 11 sec 1/4 slip is possible with a 6th gen?
Hell yes! But it will be close. And obviously a hero run and far from the norm.

Been discussing this on a couple forums.

#1.... Stingray has gone as fast as 11.3 bone stock. The lt1 is a beast. Camaro 3-400 pounds heavier. We all know the hp and weight rule.

#2... Challenger scat pack has gone 12.1 in negative da. 4200 lbs 485 hp. More simple math. Camaro 37-3750 lbs 455 hp.

#3... Previous gen 5 record was 12.5 for the manual and 12.7 for the auto ( which I have a hard time believing L99 had a hard time getting 12 anything stock most days)
More simple math. L99 Add 55 hp 35 torque lose 200 lbs and add an 8 speed. For the ls3 add 30 hp 35 tq and lose 200 lbs.

All these point to a high 11 in the bench racing world being possible.

We are going to have hero runs in the 11s if I had to guess...

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 07-04-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
+1 on the road walking/ tracking.
My 4th gen did it too when I went with squared 275s on 17s. After driving them for a bit I got used to it. Eventually got aftermarket rims and tires on my 2010. Didn't track as bad then.

Not sure if the tracking is a camaro thing but I would guess it's the rim/ tire setup and alignment more than anything.

2012 was the update to the fe4 suspension btw...

And can't argue about the 5.0 being faster. it will not blow away the ls3 all things equal traction etc. L99 has it rough especially stock.

Wonder what will happen this time? Both the same weight roughly. Both have irs. We will truly get a motor to motor comparison ( or close to it with the manuals, camaro auto has 8 speed slight advantage)

Equal weights camaro up 20 hp and 55 tq. 8 speed auto. Time for the mustang to get blown away .

Considering the 15 up gt is pretty much tying the current 1le at the strip in the mags... My prediction...PAIN ( as Clubber Lang would say lol)
Agreed 5.0 will get smashed this time around . I know both the 392 and lt1 has 11s in them being stock . Also couldn't remember when they changed the front end up on the 5th gen thought it was 13 lol. And I had the L99 tune woke it up big time .
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

ill also add i would think that a 1le wouldve been the best 5th gen to run the 1/4. if im not mistaken that 12.5 was run in an early non 1le equipped camaro.

it would probably run even with a 5.0 the whole way down a track with its added gearing and exhaust upgrades.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

ill also add i would think that a 1le wouldve been the best 5th gen to run the 1/4. if im not mistaken that 12.5 was run in an early non 1le equipped camaro.

it would probably run even with a 5.0 the whole way down a track with its added gearing and exhaust upgrades.
That's why to me when I drove the ls3 Camaro they felt like dogs. They should of came with 3.73s or 3.91s from the factory .
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your right it was. Wouldn't doubt the 1le could probably best that time with the same driver same day as the 12.5 run. But also remember the 2010-2011 cars were around 50 lbs lighter. But id still favor the 1le.

Pains me to say still have to go with the 5.0 having a slight edge even over the 1le. Most reviews it does run neck and neck. By the quarter mile the 5.0 usually has a slight trap and et advantage and is picking up more steam compared to the 1le. Private owner times usually favor them as well.

Quick Reply: 6th gen convertible revealed!