Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

LT5 swap into Gen 6 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT5 swap into Gen 6 Camaro

With new LT1 cars hovering around $30K and an LT5 crate being under $18K - have to wonder what it would take to make the change? The original LT1 engine pulled will be worth at least $6K if pulled with low miles, making true cost of 750 hp LT5 really only about $12K.

If you could get the entire thing done for less than $50K it would be a great sleeper and driver - I am capable of all labor but afraid of the electronics and tie in of LT5 module into a new car.

Thoughts? What other big ticket items am i missing.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Fueling
driveshaft
Axles

Cool idea but LT4 with upgraded supercharger might be a bit easier to put together
Old 03-14-2020, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know the answer to your questions, but that would badass!
Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree that it would be more of a PITA than it's worth.

The LT5 computer is supposed to be a straight bitch. Then will it support the Camaros transmission options? Will a Camaros LT1 computer run a LT5 with its DI and port injection? It's hard enough just to keep the ECU from robbing torque when it detects wheel slip. People often talk about how to keep these cars from bogging off the line with a tire and aggressive launch because even when turning everything off (T/C, launch control) the car still has a tendency to limit torque when it detects slip. Apparently it's even aggravating to tune out the system from what I read. I say all this to say that I just don't know because these modern cars are finicky when it comes to computers and tuning. I have my doubts that you could just put a LT5's ECU in a Camaro and operate everything or use a Camaros ECU to manage a LT5. Again IDK. Maybe an aftermarket ECU like a Motec or something?

A LT1 is already a pretty stout motor, but throw some forged rods and pistons in it and a good blower kit on it and you'll be making plenty of power. Would also be a good time to port the heads, go with blower cam, and dump the crappy AFM(DOD) lifters.

Quick Reply: LT5 swap into Gen 6 Camaro