Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

No crank no start, "shift to park" on display when shifter is in park position

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank no start, "shift to park" on display when shifter is in park position

Hello all. I am new to the forum. A buddy of mine recommended this site and told me how it helped him diagnose a few problems he was having with the gen 5-6 Camaros. I am currently having an issue with my 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible not cranking over to start. When I try, a message comes up on display reading "shift to park", when the shifter is already in park position. I found a few different videos and links that explained how it's a popular issue with multiple GM vehicles with that type of part/parts. But mostly I found other models such as the Malibu, Traverse, volt, Cadillacs, etc., explaining how they temporarily fixed or bypassed it, or replaced the entire shift mechanism. I tried all the tips that I read about or saw on video such as, hitting it few times, pressing the button on shifter over and over, moving steering wheel around, slam lightly into park from drive or another gear, pump brake pedal, etc., and have had no luck getting the message "shift to park" to go away or getting the car to crank over. I found 2 different reasons for it, and what part that is needed to fix the issue. One says replace complete shifter mech for new one, and another said there's a solenoid or sensor to replace that fixes it. Either way, is there a way to bypass it for now, until I can get the right diagnosis and part/s needed to fix it. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: No crank no start, "shift to park" on display when shifter is in park position