General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008 | 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
Apples to Oranges fellas'
You really can't compare the two cars.

That being said, I don't own an STi. I have an Evo VIII. I came from a 500whp SS to the Evo. AWD is great. I will have a hard time owning anything other than AWD from here on out.

Either way, weigh your options and find out what you want.
GOod luck
I MISS THAT FEEL MAN!!! Somebody reffered to the AWD as boreing haha..must have never driven one. It is funny how the power is diffrent in both cars...I love the power rite at my toes in the big displacement cars...but damn its nice when the turbo cars power comes on all at one time...good luck with that evo...carefull with that diff and turn up that boost baby!!! 50 trim is a fun street turbo for that car!!!!
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drewwrxrogers
WOW. Not only is this thread full of BS....but we have guys on here who have probably never been in an STI making comments and remarks on them. First off here is my .02 rite off the bat. If you have a limited budget...get the LS1 car...plain and simple...thats why I went back to them...Cash!

I did a STI project before I came to the LS1 world. I had more money in that car than I even want to talk about but outperformed most anthing I ran into. I put down 615whp with a built axis shortblock with head, Cams, STOCK TRANS , and a 35R rotated turbo setup with around 29psi!!!

Best time I ever had with a car project...not much could touch me...and it was a 4 door...GOD handled 2.5l 4 banger!!!

Go with the Sti if you have the money for a build and the cost of the car. The car itself is way more fun and doesnt feel like your driving a boat. Your talking bout a 2.5l boxer 4 that has been known to hold 500whp with stock internals top and bottom end and a tranny that in nearly bullet proof!!! Comes stock with brembos, best susp. youll ever need, AWD with DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Diff) And tons more! I miss the hell out of mine...but I love both worlds...getting ready for my head/cam swap myself. Imports done the rite way is simply a rich mans game simply said.
I'm going to disagree with you 100% there. Driving a boat?? With my Bilsteins, sway bars, STB, Nittos, tubular control arms and panhard rod, and poly mounts, my car will keep up with my friends STI in the turns. Saying an F-body "drives like a boat" is just ignorant. And personally I don't even like how the STI drives, its got absolutely NO power until about 3500RPM, and its slow as molasses on the highway, no top end at all. It handles very well, but it also makes for an extremely rough ride with next to zero suspension travel. If I wanted a car that stiff I'd lower my car and buy coilovers, but its not practical for most driving.

As for the DCCD, thats nothing more than a gimmick. We messed with the one on my friends STI, the most you can vary it is 60/40, and we couldn't notice any real difference in handling or anything.

And as for the trans being "bulletproof", its far from it. Plenty of STi guys have broken transmissions. It also houses the center differential which is a viscous coupling, and can be EASILY destroyed within a matter of minutes if you do any number of things, least being driving with a spare for even a short distance.

Why does it sound like the engine has a nasty tick when you walk around the front of the car??

To give you an idea on the differnce in mod prices...It cost me the same for a complete fuel sytem to run the setup I had on my Subaru (fuel pump, 1200cc injectors, FP regulator and fuel rails) as the entire setup im bout to do to my LS1.... tune, cam, rods, rod bolts, CNC heads, gaskets, springs, and time!!!!! That is no joke!! Prepare yourself if you go this route.
Which is why I would never want to invest that kind of money into a car like that. My friend just spent $600 to get about 15WHP from a Cobb Tuner, and you could barely notice the difference, although he did say it was smoother. Not worth it IMO.
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Apples to Oranges fellas'
You really can't compare the two cars.

That being said, I don't own an STi. I have an Evo VIII. I came from a 500whp SS to the Evo. AWD is great. I will have a hard time owning anything other than AWD from here on out.

Either way, weigh your options and find out what you want.
GOod luck
You sold a 466WHP F-body for an...Evo??
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I'm going to disagree with you 100% there. Driving a boat?? With my Bilsteins, sway bars, STB, Nittos, tubular control arms and panhard rod, and poly mounts, my car will keep up with my friends STI in the turns. Saying an F-body "drives like a boat" is just ignorant. And personally I don't even like how the STI drives, its got absolutely NO power until about 3500RPM, and its slow as molasses on the highway, no top end at all. It handles very well, but it also makes for an extremely rough ride with next to zero suspension travel. If I wanted a car that stiff I'd lower my car and buy coilovers, but its not practical for most driving.

As for the DCCD, thats nothing more than a gimmick. We messed with the one on my friends STI, the most you can vary it is 60/40, and we couldn't notice any real difference in handling or anything.

And as for the trans being "bulletproof", its far from it. Plenty of STi guys have broken transmissions. It also houses the center differential which is a viscous coupling, and can be EASILY destroyed within a matter of minutes if you do any number of things, least being driving with a spare for even a short distance.

Why does it sound like the engine has a nasty tick when you walk around the front of the car??

Which is why I would never want to invest that kind of money into a car like that. My friend just spent $600 to get about 15WHP from a Cobb Tuner, and you could barely notice the difference, although he did say it was smoother. Not worth it IMO.

There we go....I was waiting for a guy like this to come give his .02cents!!! Where you been. Man I am a HP guy through and through. Im not going to turn this into a spiting match over wich car or group is better. Trust me...after driving an Sti for over a year....(small box size with a go cart feel) to an F-body....it feels like a boat...sorry if that doesnt tickle your fancy but it just does....still fast and fun to drive...but honestly it is long and your laid out in the seat and it seems to be boggy in stock form compared to seated upright, fast light to light, and quick through the gears light car.

From the above statments I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Subarus or built turbo cars in the least. The Cobb "tuner" your talking about is the APV2 wich is only a tuning device and nothing more. It is used by a tuner on a dyno to move things around and get the most out of the mods you do to your car. If you dont do any mods and you just do a re-tune then your not going to see much of an increase in whp even more so if you just plug it up and dont let a tuner play with it. a good tuner on an sti can get around an average of nearly 50 whp just from a tunning device...increase in boost..and a little dyno time.

As for my ticking in the bay of my Sti...that is the lifters you are hearing! Its a fully built all forged motor that was cold started in that video. When you build a 4cly like that, there is no hiding that its a racecar...nothing extra is needed to run racegas....just pour it in.

Trannys in the Sti's are like anything else man...some last forever at crazy power levels...some break early...onlything I can say is it's the driver. For you to say they are weak trannys is retarted when there are so many guys running 500 whp on them AND the stock blocks without issues.

Your not going back and fourth with a guy who hates LS1 cars or doesnt know anything bout one car or the other. I know a lot about both monsters and can go toe to toe all day long. LOve the LS1....its cheap...tough...and easy to work on. But they are like ********...everybody has one. STi's would be the same if people could afford them.
Old 11-12-2008 | 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

There we go....I was waiting for a guy like this to come give his .02cents!!! Where you been. Man I am a HP guy through and through. Im not going to turn this into a spiting match over wich car or group is better. Trust me...after driving an Sti for over a year....(small box size with a go cart feel) to an F-body....it feels like a boat...sorry if that doesnt tickle your fancy but it just does....still fast and fun to drive...but honestly it is long and your laid out in the seat and it seems to be boggy in stock form compared to seated upright, fast light to light, and quick through the gears light car.
Interesting that you feel that way, but once again, after driving both, I'd take an F-body over an STI any day of the week. In the F-body you are in a low slung position with a long hood and high belt line, in the STI it feels like you are practically sitting on the hood. After all, its a 4 door impreza family sedan, it was not originally designed to be a sports car in any form of the word, so the driving position is not ideal. Thats common sense.

From the above statments I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Subarus or built turbo cars in the least. The Cobb "tuner" your talking about is the APV2 wich is only a tuning device and nothing more. It is used by a tuner on a dyno to move things around and get the most out of the mods you do to your car. If you dont do any mods and you just do a re-tune then your not going to see much of an increase in whp even more so if you just plug it up and dont let a tuner play with it. a good tuner on an sti can get around an average of nearly 50 whp just from a tunning device...increase in boost..and a little dyno time.
Thanks for the insult, but you are dead wrong. I don't know how much clearer I can say it. The tuner my friend bought is a Cobb AccessPort, I never implied anything about a full dyno tune. He'd rather not compromise the durability of his car, which is why he didn't get a custom tune that advances timing and leans out the stock fuel trims, which can result in catastrphe if something goes wrong. He's not your typical ricer, he doesn't like doing mods that compromise the driveability or reliability of his car, simple as that.

Trannys in the Sti's are like anything else man...some last forever at crazy power levels...some break early...onlything I can say is it's the driver. For you to say they are weak trannys is retarted when there are so many guys running 500 whp on them AND the stock blocks without issues.
I guess when you compare anything from Japan to something like a Tremec T56, its going to look weak.

Your not going back and fourth with a guy who hates LS1 cars or doesnt know anything bout one car or the other. I know a lot about both monsters and can go toe to toe all day long. LOve the LS1....its cheap...tough...and easy to work on. But they are like ********...everybody has one. STi's would be the same if people could afford them.
Thats funny, because all the people in the younger crowd I talk to ALL want to buy STIs, Evos, 350Z's, ect. They think those are the cars to have for some reason, most likely due to the F&F movies. You find very few F-bodies, or any nice cars for that matter, driven by young people any more. Every "performance" car on the road these days is a motor swapped civic or an Evo or STI/WRX, its a sad state of affairs we live in these days when the only cars young people desire are gutless 4 and 6 cylinders from the land of the rising sun. American Muscle seems to be a dying breed, no matter how much better looking, better sounding, and more capable and durable they are than any number of other types of cars.
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Interesting that you feel that way, but once again, after driving both, I'd take an F-body over an STI any day of the week. In the F-body you are in a low slung position with a long hood and high belt line, in the STI it feels like you are practically sitting on the hood. After all, its a 4 door impreza family sedan, it was not originally designed to be a sports car in any form of the word, so the driving position is not ideal. Thats common sense.

Wrong again....The Sti isn't even supposed to have people in the back seat...try sitting in one...bout worse than the camaro! The Sti is a rally car made for Autocross!

Thanks for the insult, but you are dead wrong. I don't know how much clearer I can say it. The tuner my friend bought is a Cobb AccessPort, I never implied anything about a full dyno tune. He'd rather not compromise the durability of his car, which is why he didn't get a custom tune that advances timing and leans out the stock fuel trims, which can result in catastrphe if something goes wrong. He's not your typical ricer, he doesn't like doing mods that compromise the driveability or reliability of his car, simple as that.

Haha okay man...way above your understanding on this one I guess. Im not making fun of you or anything...but you just dont know what your saying on this one okay. All the information I have learned over the years about turbo cars is in no way related to "typical street tuners" but from Ron Williams one of Subaru's most known builder and tuner. Also George From P&L in Chicago. What you are saying is exactly the turn around of what is true. Putting anything on a turbo car is useless and most times harmfull without a tune. A A/A motor is diff than a N/A LS1. You must tune and have things even accross the table. More boost means more air wich means fuel needed throughout the curve. More fuel means bigger intake of air needed like inlet, intake, maf, and better cooling like Intercooler ect. Every mod from exhaust to a turbo on a turbo car is nothing but harmfull and going to make your car run horrible. Belive what you like. It's not my car so I could care less.

I guess when you compare anything from Japan to something like a Tremec T56, its going to look weak.

HAHA ya I guess your rite....of course the Sti comes STOCK with the 6-speed tranny that I am talking about. And if you must....look up PPG gearsets (Import). Make a straight cut set for Subaru that is so tuff they will buy you a new one if you break it haha.Compare this......It took GM 5.7L to equal what japan did in 2.5l ouch! (direct comment to this idividual and no shot at American cars...I drive SS )

Thats funny, because all the people in the younger crowd I talk to ALL want to buy STIs, Evos, 350Z's, ect. They think those are the cars to have for some reason, most likely due to the F&F movies. You find very few F-bodies, or any nice cars for that matter, driven by young people any more. Every "performance" car on the road these days is a motor swapped civic or an Evo or STI/WRX, its a sad state of affairs we live in these days when the only cars young people desire are gutless 4 and 6 cylinders from the land of the rising sun. American Muscle seems to be a dying breed, no matter how much better looking, better sounding, and more capable and durable they are than any number of other types of cars.

Thats because we are playing with cars that are from the 70's 80's 90's and they are taking daddys money and seeing what the new cars will do...shitty as it is....it's the growing trend. I love all cars that are fast..all comes down to who has the most money and who is willing to spend the most. I learned the hard way that being the fastest is pointless and there is always somebody faster.

Good luck man and I really don't want to argue this one anymore. LIke I said before, I have been on both sides and have had fast cars on both sides...its all in good fun..chill dude. haha.

Last edited by drewwrxrogers; 11-12-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:23 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Fbody for men, WRX for *****.

....kiddin, but nothing compares to my juiced H/C setup in term of prices/look/sound to me. Just a matter of what you really like. I say you'll kill a lot of STI in your lightly modded fbody..you want to be faster and meaner? Go fbody.

Last edited by Johnnystock; 11-12-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:29 PM
Teching In

My friend has an 04 STi with full exhaust, and an intake. Ive driven it many times before and its pretty quick. I would take an F-body any day over an STI, you just don't feel the same power as an Ls1. Don't be like everyone else and want an Sti, Evo, 350z, hopped up civics or other jap cars, I dont ever hear any kids wanting american muscle anymore, they all want jap stuff. Theres nothing like a v8, but ill give it to the STI being the coolest 4 cyl car, (kinda tacky though)i give them respect though ,but i feel RWD is more fun anyway. And yes it is amazing the power it makes only being a 4cyl (take away the turbo and then see how fast it is) , but thers no replacement for displacement.....
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:31 PM
Teching In

Johnnystock ....''Fbody for men, WRX for *****'' lol +1 on that
Old 11-12-2008 | 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

^ I agree....cause a WRX is not a Sti hahaha. closed case....agree to disagree! I just cant wait to get my h/c done...hard to go from 600Awhp to low 300rwdhp know what I mean...I was a lil spoiled more than I know with the AWD....some ET streets are on the way though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008 | 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wrong again....The Sti isn't even supposed to have people in the back seat...try sitting in one...bout worse than the camaro! The Sti is a rally car made for Autocross!
Here are the STi's roots:

Impreza started out as an family economy car and was modified for rally racing, not the other way around.

Compare this......It took GM 5.7L to equal what japan did in 2.5l ouch! (direct comment to this idividual and no shot at American cars...I drive SS )
So a 230WHP turbo 4 cylinder is equivelent to a 300WHP 5.7L??

Looks more to me like it took Subaru 14.7PSI of boost to do what GM did with absolutely zero pounds of boost. And Subaru still came up 70WHP short

Thats because we are playing with cars that are from the 70's 80's 90's and they are taking daddys money and seeing what the new cars will do...shitty as it is....it's the growing trend. I love all cars that are fast..all comes down to who has the most money and who is willing to spend the most. I learned the hard way that being the fastest is pointless and there is always somebody faster.

Good luck man and I really don't want to argue this one anymore. LIke I said before, I have been on both sides and have had fast cars on both sides...its all in good fun..chill dude. haha.
Its just unfortunate that people are taking Mammy and Pappy's money and investing it overseas because they think those cars are "cool". When I see a group of young car enthusiasts these days, they are always driving imports. Everything from Honda Civics, Integras, Scions, Supras, WXR's, STI's, Evos, 350Z's, Eclipses, 3000GT's, ect. You could ask them what they think of the new Corvette ZR1 and they will tell you that their 1989 Nissan 300ZX is better, if not for any other reason than its japanese. Makes me sick that these kids are so stupid and ignorant.
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:27 PM
On The Tree

ls1 fbody, you simply cant beat the bang for the buck that these cars put out
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go with the Sti if you have the money for a build and the cost of the car. The car itself is way more fun and doesnt feel like your driving a boat.
Stock for stock, I definitely agree, but its kinda an apples to oranges comparison. Its extremely easy to make an fbody turn (while also riding better than stock), and its mainly depends on the shocks.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10176285-post11.html

It handles very well, but it also makes for an extremely rough ride with next to zero suspension travel. If I wanted a car that stiff I'd lower my car and buy coilovers, but its not practical for most driving.
"stiff coilovers" does not automatically = good handling.

HAHA ya I guess your rite....of course the Sti comes STOCK with the 6-speed tranny that I am talking about. And if you must....look up PPG gearsets (Import). Make a straight cut set for Subaru that is so tuff they will buy you a new one if you break it haha.
Maybe Im misunderstanding what you are saying, but fbodies come stock with T56's.
Compare this......It took GM 5.7L to equal what japan did in 2.5l ouch! (direct comment to this idividual and no shot at American cars...I drive SS )
Please don't use ricer math like that here. Hp/l is completely irrelevant to performance.
Old 11-12-2008 | 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

First off I just want to correct you one final time.....the car we are talking about is the STI!!!!! The STI was built for rally racing!!! Not to haul family. The impreza...yes...STI...no. Take a look at the impreza vs the STI. The impreza is a NA 2.0-2.5l with no scoop, spoiler, turbo, tuned susp, mostly autos, and overall just plain jain. When Autocross and rally became big...they built the STI wich wasnt even introduced into the US for a long time. The Sti that the thread holder is deciding between is a race ready autocross car that can actually compete strong directly off the showroom floor!

This is why it is very much impossible to compare the two cars. I have driven, raced, owned both....so I gave my .02 cents. Taken or left....it's how I honestly see the two cars, beautiful machines in two differnt worlds.

^Good points above! Rather not be called a ricer myself but hey I have been called worse haha. Truth is...I am ready to go fast again. Our ideas of fast change as we grow comfortable in the beasts that we all love to build. I am excited to see how much my SS wakes up after this H/C swap. I have seen the fun these cars can bring and what they are ready and willing to do....thats why I own one now. I plan on a 150 shot soon after I get bored with the new found power.

^Also true above is the talk about punk kids and their parents money going to import cars. I think a lot of it is because cars that used to be expensive are now becoming within reach for these kids when they hit that age. I also think that yes.....they are so wrapped up in the sound of the Blow off valve that they dont even care that they are running 15's haha. But hey...let em live...only thing that pisses me off about it was when people used to see me in my Sti they automatically thought....o boy...another punk with a fartpipe....they didnt know any better...For me it was the feeling of getting respect one v8 at a time for what my car was....a well built, high horsepower machine that straight kicked *** and anybody who loved cars could love!

To his their own and letting them be the thorn in our sides only seems to encourage the way they act and challenge our cars. I did learn though...that If I run into an import...you just honest to god never know what they have....never. But then again....I love surprises and I can finally enjoy the button of love now haha!!!

Happy to be Back boys!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by drewwrxrogers; 11-12-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Here are the STi's roots:

Impreza started out as an family economy car and was modified for rally racing, not the other way around.
I'm afraid you are wrong. The STi is what car companies call a homologation special. The FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile) who run the World Rally Championship state that race teams need to build their race car from a production car. The race team tells the factory what it needs to make a winning car. Then the factory builds them the way the race team wants it and sells them so they can be in compliance with the rules. Other great homologation specials are the E30 M3, Ford RS200, Evo, Porsche 959. Its kind of like what stock car racing used to be back in the day.

Old 11-12-2008 | 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

its not even close!! you will be happier with your purchase of an fbody over an sti.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off I just want to correct you one final time.....the car we are talking about is the STI!!!!! The STI was built for rally racing!!! Not to haul family. The impreza...yes...STI...no. Take a look at the impreza vs the STI. The impreza is a NA 2.0-2.5l with no scoop, spoiler, turbo, tuned susp, mostly autos, and overall just plain jain. When Autocross and rally became big...they built the STI wich wasnt even introduced into the US for a long time. The Sti that the thread holder is deciding between is a race ready autocross car that can actually compete strong directly off the showroom floor!
Maybe you're missing something here:

Its a Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

The STI is nothing more than a modified Impreza.

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
I'm afraid you are wrong. The STi is what car companies call a homologation special. The FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile) who run the World Rally Championship state that race teams need to build their race car from a production car. The race team tells the factory what it needs to make a winning car. Then the factory builds them the way the race team wants it and sells them so they can be in compliance with the rules. Other great homologation specials are the E30 M3, Ford RS200, Evo, Porsche 959. Its kind of like what stock car racing used to be back in the day.
So you're telling me that Subaru based the Impreza 4 door family sedan off the requirements for a winning rally car?? Lets use some common sense here. Do you honestly believe that a car manufacturer cares more about winning a rally race than actually selling cars, which is the ONLY thing that keeps them in business?? Of course not, because any family car based off of a race car formula isn't going to sell worth a ****. You have to design a car for its primary purpose, and then adapt it for racing per the rules of the sport. An Impreza is no different than an Accord or Camry, its a basic transportation 4 door sedan, nothing special about it at all.

Same thing with the Evo, its nothing more than a Lancer Economy car, which everyone knows is a little shitbox on wheels. They just modified it for competition, and hence the "Evolution" model was produced.

The Porsche 959 would be the exception, because Porsche builds sports cars as their primary vehicles, not family sedans. So they would be able to build a vehicle to meet the requirement of racing, and then modify it to sell to the public.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I MISS THAT FEEL MAN!!! Somebody reffered to the AWD as boreing haha..must have never driven one. It is funny how the power is diffrent in both cars...I love the power rite at my toes in the big displacement cars...but damn its nice when the turbo cars power comes on all at one time...good luck with that evo...carefull with that diff and turn up that boost baby!!! 50 trim is a fun street turbo for that car!!!!

These AWD cars aren't drag cars. That's not what they are intended for. Glad you had fun in yours, because I sure am. I hope the LS1 is working out for you, mine never failed to disappoint me. I was just wanting something different.

The only thing I truely miss about my SS is the sound of the exhaust and the low end grunt around town. The Evo is definitely gutless without boost.

I'm not worried about my trans or tcase. I don't really launch the car very often (its not intended to). Also, they aren't as week as you think. Look around over at EvoM and you'll understand. The guys that tear theirs up beat the crap out of them or use improper fluids.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You sold a 466WHP F-body for an...Evo??
Yup I sure did. The biggest upgrade I ever did.

If your trying to get me fired up its not working. I used to be closed minded like you and not know what I'm talking about. However, as the years go by I started thinking outside the box. Your making yourself look like a tool by spouting off information you know nothing about.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup I sure did. The biggest upgrade I ever did.

If your trying to get me fired up its not working. I used to be closed minded like you and not know what I'm talking about. However, as the years go by I started thinking outside the box. Your making yourself look like a tool by spouting off information you know nothing about.
I've driven, been in, and worked on multiple versions of both cars.

There is simply no comparison. I have no idea why anyone would want an Evo, period.

Close minded?? Haha, nope. I just can't understand why you would trade a nice muscle car for a 4 cylinder grocery getter, and a more expensive one at that. I'm not trying to get anyone "fired up" here, I'm just being perfectly honest.

Quick Reply: LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???