General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2002 camaro converter input

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 camaro converter input

I have a 2002 camaro... Best time 13.17 at 106.5 mph with a 1.97 60ft.stock engine,upgraded gears to 4.11. and et drag radials.note this is just a street car that I'm trying to get in the 12's
I am still having problems with my 60 foots.Just wondering if somebody has some input on a good converter,and how much it pick up like ET. and 60ft.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A converter is the single best mod for an A4 car IMO. I was very bored with mine and seriously considering a 6-speed swap until I installed my first converter (Yank ST3500). Man did it make a world of difference....so much so that I upgraded to a SS4000 and loved it even more. When my tranny fried and I ordered my FLT level 4, I took that opportunity to upgrade one last time to a PT4400 and I'll never look back.

Average gains are ~.5 in the 1/4 mile. You're 60' will also go down quite a bit with a good converter and those tires. I'm running stock Bilstein level II and with full weight and 3/4's tank of gas, I cut my 1.63 with MT ET Street radials. A converter will get rid of the A4's notorious dead spots as well as give you better shift extension to stay in your power band after a shift. Just make sure you get a good cooler and a tranny temp gauge (better safe than sorry).

I've only ever run Yanks, so that's all I can tell you about (they're having an October sale right now that would be hard to pass up). With your gears, I'd seriously consider the SS4000. It's a great street/strip converter and will allow you to grow easily (cam, heads, nitrous). I drove mine with 3.23's and it was still plenty tight for that stall speed. Hell, my current PT4400 is being run with 3.23's until I upgrade my rear and it's not bad at all. Makes for one hell of a highway pull .

Bottom line, get a good converter (Vigilante and Circle D are also high quality converters that have an excellent reputation on this site) and a good cooler. You'll absolutely love the gains you'll get on the street and at the track. You'd be a solid mid 12-second car IMO. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter

Thanks for all the info.........talked to Dave at Yank converters,sounds like a good product.
Thanks Tony