General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

F-body t-tops/damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acslam
I think if I go back with cash in hand, I'll just rip the tops right off and see what I can see right there. I won't pay the price to bring it home if I can't be 100% certain the top frame isn't bent. I'll get a very careful list of parts necessary to put this one back together, I see the logic that it could be expensive. Is anyone here near RI by any chance? anyone who might be able to give me some insight on the dealer?
I like this idea, if you have $4000 in your hand, i willing to bet the t-tops are coming off.

my only thing is this, and someone brought it up earlier in the thread. its not the t-top quick fix that the problem, its the attitude that could be behind it, if the owner is willing to do things like that, you really have no clue what else he cheaped out on. all those other things that were in disrepair lead me to the same conclusion, sure they are not expensive, but its the way of thinking that would scare me
Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have all been really helpful. I'm going to keep saving, since the car is on hold for me anyhow, and when the time comes, I'll rip the tops off and look for anything else that I can find. From what I've gathered, based on the cost of the parts, it doesn't seem that the car should cost me much more than 5-600 in parts to make whole. I have other cars, so this one can sit while I work on it.

The "car falling apart around the engine" thing is SO true, my caprice is the same way. I am the kind of person that will do my own work, and I don't mind handling the little things to a point. Based on the reviews here, I'm going to keep searching just in case I stumble across anything else. If I bring this car home, I'll let you all know how it turns out, just so you all have a chance to say "I told ya so!!".

Whoever it was that called me an idiot for thinking of it, I like your style, that's rock and roll right there!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha the only thing they highlight about the car is... Glass T-Tops! Dont buy that car man. What a headache, unless your looking for something to really beat the living Sh*t out of.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

If i were you Id keep looking, regardless of the price......there are plenty of Fbodies out there....sounds like a **** show to me, I work at a dealer, and i see so many hacked up POS cars. have them put the car on the lift, check the under the car for any other signs of damage, leaks....ect. good luck
Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I notice you're a Chrysler tech - that's the lineage in my family as well, my father is the manager of the service department at a local Chrysler dealer. total sidetrack, but what mopars have you got in the garage? I gots me an old Coronet!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

this car is sketchy as hell. you know for sure its been in 2 accidents, it has lots of little things wrong, the ttop is sealed on and a potential buyer isnt allowed to remove them? i dont like the sounds at all. just save a little more money and bypass all the BS in my opinion. 4300 is too much for something in that kind of condition.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

$3-3500 cash and you cant go wrong. I put over 140k hard miles on my 98 camaro SS and never had many problems with it. I had 3.73 and a yank st3500 stall for over 70k miles and never even rebuilt the trans.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Don't buy a piece of ****......there are many other f-bodies for sale. You will find a good car if you look hard enough. This one has obvious issues and WILL COST YOU A LOT OF MONEY TO REPAIR.