General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wind noise at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
I had a 97 WS6 with stock exhaust and that car didn't have any wind noise from an air leak like my 01 has. It may be common on these cars but it's not normal; it shouldn't make that much noise unless there is something wrong.
Thats what I'm thinking too. My last car wasn't a t-top car though. This one is. I don't know if that actually makes a difference or not.

Today I inspected the door hinges and pins, everything looks normal atleast at a glance (no busted bushings or anything). So I got some spray on silicon lubricant and went over the seals, just to add some moisture to them. Then I adjusted the striker on the drivers side door so it was a little higher then before. The molding lines up better. So we'll see tomorrow if it helped with the wind noise.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html
Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I've seen that before. I use the dollar bill idea and it works fairly well. The upperlimit stop does what exactly? Lets the window go higher?

Edit: Just did the dollar bill seal check. Have a decent amount of tension on all areas except the back of the window (which never has good tension)

How much tension would you need for a "good" seal. To the point where the dollar bill doesn't move? Or requires a decent tug to move?

Last edited by Ironxcross; 10-19-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had wind noise on the driver door since 7000 miles when I bought it. I think the weatherstripping is deformed near the a-pillar because it looks different than the passenger side. Ive tried putting a cloth between the window and weatherstripping and it helps a little but that was only to figure out where the leak was coming from. I think my only choice is new weatherstripping from ebay, its very expensive from GM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

My WS6 has very little wind noise.....however, most of the other GM vehicles that I have had in the past have had terrible wind noise. I don't think you are going to find a simple fix for your problem, unless you have torn weather stripping or something obvious like that.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have u tried turning up the radio? i think the problem your having is the wind.. you should look into that. on a serious note make sure the weather strip where your ttop meets isnt the edge because a lot of times that gets deformed and is the cause to some water leaking, maybe it can bring the wind too.