General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car dies after heavy braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dies after heavy braking

okay I have noticed this twice now. If I come to a hard stop the car will stumple for a quick second and die.

car is a stock 02 camaro, the only thing done to it that I can think of that might affect it is I took off my exhaust, so it is an open y. I did not modify my tune for this could that be the cause?

should I look for any vacuum or exhasut leaks. I took of my AIR and there is a minor leak on one of the block off plates.

thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

bump nobody knows?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

When I read the title before I clicked on it I was thinking it would be a semi-modded car and was not tuned yet and that could be causing it but I'm not 100% sure if only the exhaust thing could make it completely die but I know it will affect the idle so I would check there first.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be your 02 sensors, or maybe something to do with your cats??
Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

if it is an automatic, your tq converter clutch might not be disengaging. when does it happen??? like getting off the highway after cruising a bit?? it also could be a stuck open egr valve. i'd need a lil more info though... more specific on when it happened, and the operating conditions when it did..
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

An '02 won't have an EGR valve.

My '01 had a similiar problem last week, stalled twice. Hasn't done it since, was driving normally before it did it.
Maybe bad fuel, who knows.

Maybe your throttle body needs to be cleaned around the Idle Air Control. (IAC)
Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

how long after heavy braking does the car die? and does it die during heavy braking?

sounds to me like a brake booster problem, they use vacuum to assist you in providing brake pressure.

read up--http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake1.htm
Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

I was driving on the street both times that it happened. Not after awhile of cruising. It was doing maybe 45-50 both times and when I came to stop at the stop light fairly hard, after I stopped the car died. It starts right back up after I put it into P and start the car.

It is an a4

Ill take it out again and pay more attention to when it happens
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe the lock up. . . .

But I have no idea how to go from here. . . . . . . .
Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Never heard of anything like that before. maybe its somthing electronical? If it dies and you put it back into park and without turning the key it starts back up im guessing the CPU is shutting down the car.

My best advice is to get a tune if you can afford it.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

no one else thinks it could be the brake booster??

scenario: braking causes the brake booster to activate, using the vacuum from the engine to assist in applying brake force. hard braking causes the diaphram to be used at full vacuum with atmospheric pressure pushing behind it. atmosheric air leaks through worn seal into vacuumed air which gets sucked into the intake manifold and into the engine causing a lean condition the engine doesnt know about becuause the air enters the intake track after the maf. lean condition stalls the engine.

anyone agree?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend

scenario: braking causes the brake booster to activate, using the vacuum from the engine to assist in applying brake force. hard braking causes the diaphram to be used at full vacuum with atmospheric pressure pushing behind it. atmosheric air leaks through worn seal into vacuumed air which gets sucked into the intake manifold and into the engine causing a lean condition the engine doesnt know about becuause the air enters the intake track after the maf. lean condition stalls the engine.

anyone agree?
after i read this post i tried it in my 2000 z28 and it dident do anything. I tried it from 50,60,70 and 80mph no effect on my car so your probaly right.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone agree?
It is entirely possible that the brake booster diaphram is leaking, its just not all that likely. Brake boosters rarely go bad, and seeing as the car is an '02, its even less likely. However, if the diaphram was leaking, it should cause driveability issues all the time, since the motor would have a constant vacuum leak. Meaning hard starts, lean O2 codes, and hesitation would more than likely be symptoms as well. However, it is a possibility, and a good suggestion for something to check out.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if its a stick are you pushing the clutch in all the way.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone agree?
That was my first thought also...I know a couple of my old Camaros would have that problem as did my K10 truck.Im not saying go buy a new one but maybe you can troubleshoot it somehow.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

damn my advice is worthless i was gonna say make sure you push the clutch in lol i would check to make sure you dont have any vaccuum leaks or anything like that. mine did it once or twice and it was just a vaccuum leak
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

check your grounds to your battery.. maybe? i had a pontiac bonneville do this once.. and i checked a ground close to the battery- and it took care of the problem... maybe this can help?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
It is entirely possible that the brake booster diaphram is leaking, its just not all that likely. Brake boosters rarely go bad, and seeing as the car is an '02, its even less likely. However, if the diaphram was leaking, it should cause driveability issues all the time, since the motor would have a constant vacuum leak. Meaning hard starts, lean O2 codes, and hesitation would more than likely be symptoms as well. However, it is a possibility, and a good suggestion for something to check out.
if it recently started leaking and is only leaking under hard braking i find it hard to beleive any one of those problems would show. and when was the last time anything wore out immediatly...lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idea is the fule tank full when this happens or is it some what emepty. If the tank is empty the pick up in the tank might not be picking up fuel as it is rushed to the front under the braking conditions. Just a idea.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

^beat me to it, this exact thing happened to me in my old third gen, anything less than 1/4 tank it would stumble and die if I braked hard or made a sharp turn

Quick Reply: car dies after heavy braking