General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help/Ideas on turning my car into an AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thule
well, i own a american cars from 04/06/08 and my camaro from 98, and worked in a chrysler dealership from 04-08, and i have imprted cars from the us to europe, and i stand by what i said,

american cars are getting so much better then they where just few years ago, i do accept that, but they still have a long way to go,
i know about the new cts-v and i've checked every article i find about it, it is so promising, but i still do think that they will not be good enough, but they are gettin better,

maybe whe can never agree abut this, maybe the standarts are just diffirent, i am not talking about old american cars, as i say, my DD is a 2008 charger R/T, i also own a 2004 model. srt/4, and more stuff from the us,
I have no experience with Chargers, so I cannot comment on whats going on with yours. But that really sucks that its showing wear at 4,000 miles.

how do you like the interior of the new corvette?
For a sportscar (not a luxury car) its fine. But compared to other similar performance cars like the M3, and 911 its definitely not up to par. But thats not what the Corvette is about, it aims for performance first(and lower price). I don't know if you've been in an Elise before, but they are way worse in terms of quality.
new escalade?
Interior styling is kinda blah, but the materials are good and fit and finish are good.
navigator?
Haven't been in one, but from pictures it looks better than before, but still not great, but not bad.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I get what he's wanting, rather than make the car an AMG, what would an AMG Engineer mod to improve the car with that in mind.

It's the same way we simply mod our cars to be faster. We want more power, but not make it like into a LS9 vette. We simply want an aspect of that deisgn, ie more power.

In the case of "making" it into a AMG car, he should focus on the aspects that he defines to make an AMG car.

We associate handling and power from Vette. From cadillac, we associate a luxury ride with some power, I personally think driving on a cloud and the "old man's drive" from a caddy powerful and fairly comfortable.

I personally modded my suspension to give me the handling feel of my 3rd gen. Back when I had both cars, my 4th gen felt too soft, body rolled too much and generally felt less safe on high speed turns than my 3rd gen. So using how my 3rd gen felt to me, I modded 1 suspension part at a time until I could basically hop from one car to another and say "these are my cars". I wasn't trying to make my 4th gen a 3rd gen, I was just trying to capture a feel or aspect of my 3rd gen into my 4th gen.

So if you know which aspects are important to you, ie maybe the interior, or a handling concept, or performance to handling ratio (which is the hardest part, but there are suspension geniuses on this forum). List them out and everyone else quit with the "he's making a TA into an AMG", cause he's not.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally someone understands what I'm after!!!! Thank you!
So far, the actual suggestions are good though. I am seriously thinking I'll wrap most of the plastics from the interior in leather. Sound deaden even more than I already have. Integrate any electrical addons. (my valentine one and my Garmin etc so there are no cigarette lighter plug ins. with possibly a double DIN with navigation built in, but I already love my garmin, my JVC and the custom aluminum install kit) new leather, and carpet, and possibly different shocks. After the new cam and tune, if it's slower than I am can tolerate, a Turbo may be in order. I realize poly isn't my best choice for comfort and noise levels, but my car tends to eat rubber transmission mounts. And most supsension upgrades use poly.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Been thinking about this a bit more, may be I am getting too far into details - but wouldn't you want your car to be more like a Aston Martin?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

The AMG is usually a 4 door sedan whereas our cars link more to the grand touring catagory, which is where you find the Aston.

http://image.automotive.com/f/auto_s...erior_view.jpg
Old 11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just look into the new CTS-V
Old 11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this thread a joke?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

hey man, if you have the money, for sound deadening i would say go wiht Second Skin Damplifier Pro. Also make sure you cover every part of the car with that if you want to truly make it feel alot more solid. ie. door panels, sail panels, flooring of the car, trunk hatch, wheel wells, firewall.. etc. Just that alone will make the car alot more solid.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by newton
Is this thread a joke?
Why do you ask that? When you posted your ideas and thoughts for your car did anyone ask if they were a joke?

Some people have different goals other than running 11's or 10's in the qtr mile, or running laps in under 1.5 mins.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

I have just finished with the sound deadening. I put down a layer of FAT MAT on the floor, tunnel ,sail panels, doors etc, with an extra layer directly on the areas that are over the exhaust. I then put a layer of open cell foam all over the floor and tunnel, and I have lined all the interior panels with closed cell foam. I used spray in undercoating in areas I couldn't reach. At the same time, I installed the alarm from hell that just about drove me nuts! I just now have to put it all back together. I'll report the differences the sound deadening made later.
Originally Posted by xRelapse13
hey man, if you have the money, for sound deadening i would say go wiht Second Skin Damplifier Pro. Also make sure you cover every part of the car with that if you want to truly make it feel alot more solid. ie. door panels, sail panels, flooring of the car, trunk hatch, wheel wells, firewall.. etc. Just that alone will make the car alot more solid.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

First drive since full interior sound deadening and I have to say damn! I love it! My car is so quiet inside. You wouldn't believe it. This has been one of my favorite mods I have ever made. It makes the entire car feel more solid.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I valet cars part time and have driven a CL63 AMG, SL65 AMG, and the new CTS. I honestly feel that the CTS has better "workmanship" to it. The CL63 AMG's interior felt cheap and had a lot of play to the steering wheel. The SL65 felt like they overdid the interior, it feels like they put too much into the interior especially the bulky front seats. The CTS's are very refined. It's all about personal preference.