General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ABS ? On GMC Truck didn`t know where to post it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS ? On GMC Truck didn`t know where to post it.

Ok my friend has a 1999 GMC Sierra and he unhooked his ABS brake system because it was chewing up his rotors and pads but now hes got a problem of his back breaks grabbing before the front. What can he do to fix this besides fix the ABS system because he just wants to get rid of the ABS all togther? They grab so bad that when he slammed on the breaks to miss a deer last night that it spun him around and he ended up in the ditch.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeljohnson03
Ok my friend has a 1999 GMC Sierra and he unhooked his ABS brake system because it was chewing up his rotors and pads but now hes got a problem of his back breaks grabbing before the front. What can he do to fix this besides fix the ABS system because he just wants to get rid of the ABS all togther? They grab so bad that when he slammed on the breaks to miss a deer last night that it spun him around and he ended up in the ditch.
i dont exactly follow what you are trying to say. ABS in no way, shape or form can chew rotors. does he have 4 wheel disc or drums in rear... if the drums are out of adjustment it is possible to grab first. post back and let me know
Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLawson86
i dont exactly follow what you are trying to say. ABS in no way, shape or form can chew rotors. does he have 4 wheel disc or drums in rear... if the drums are out of adjustment it is possible to grab first. post back and let me know
Hes got 4 wheel disc and i don`t understand how the abs was chewing them up either but it was cuz since he unhooked it the brakes have been fine except for the back grabbing before the front.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if it is 4 wheel disc, the only things that can cause that issue of rear over front is either the master cylinder or the brake pressure modulator valve. take your pick
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLawson86
well if it is 4 wheel disc, the only things that can cause that issue of rear over front is either the master cylinder or the brake pressure modulator valve. take your pick
ok thanks for the help i`ll let him know.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

http://www.performancetrucks.net/
Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Where would i post that question on that website? i looked through the main page and didn`t find anywhere specific on where to post it.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tell him to hook everything back up. It's a problem with most silverados 99 to 02. They have a bad habit of tearing up the rear rotors even twice as quick as the fronts. We had to replace the rears at the dealership I worked at all the time. My 2000 did it my dads 2001 did it, and a friends 2002 did it as well. Occasionally people will get lucky and have one that doesn't do it but chances are it will.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by mikeljohnson03
Where would i post that question on that website? i looked through the main page and didn`t find anywhere specific on where to post it.
GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS

GM Drivetrain & Suspension

GM General Discussion
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Benner
Tell him to hook everything back up. It's a problem with most silverados 99 to 02. They have a bad habit of tearing up the rear rotors even twice as quick as the fronts. We had to replace the rears at the dealership I worked at all the time. My 2000 did it my dads 2001 did it, and a friends 2002 did it as well. Occasionally people will get lucky and have one that doesn't do it but chances are it will.
Is there a recall on it or anything?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Thanks i`ll post it in there.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

No not that I'm aware of. It's just the way the trucks are. They don't wear them out quick enough to be any real concern for gm and most people don't view it as a problem. Just break wear.