General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Future Project Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Project Maybe?

I have a 2001 Camaro SS. I love the car. I have a few bolt on mods to it but nothing serious. I hope to do alot more in the near future. I have always loved the mid 90's b-bodies too. I especially love the 1996 Impala SS. Just an idea of someday maybe buying one and swapping the lt1 for the ls1. I was just wondering is anyone has heard of this being done or if anyone on here has done this. It sounds like a cool project to me and i would like to do it someday.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Teching In

It's been done before but it's not a real popular swap so far it seems. I've been doing research on the same swap and haven't been able to come up with much.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Shouldn't be too hard to do though.. Motor Mount Conversion Plates will be handy with this one..

Last edited by the_merv; 12-01-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Village Idiot

Why do that swap? I just don't understand, isn't the LS1 a better motor then the LT1...?

If anything swap the newer LS1 for the older LT1, no?

I kinda like the Impala's too, the SS's in black are sporty looking...It's just a shame they are front wheel drive...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Why do that swap? I just don't understand, isn't the LS1 a better motor then the LT1...?

I kinda like the Impala's too, the SS's in black are sporty looking...It's just a shame they are front wheel drive...
I am pretty sure he's talking about putting an LS1 into the Impala, which was rear wheel drive in 1996.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JIBBBY

Are you toking it up again, JIBBBY? I thought you just did that when you were seafoaming?

He's talking about swapping out the 96 Impala LT1 and putting an LS1 in there.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Village Idiot

Yeah, I'm toking you wanna hit, it's some good sticky green I got...

I read it wrong I guess...I was like WTF? No actually I don't wake and bake usually as if I do the day some how becomes a total wash for me..... Save it for when the day is done sometimes to be truthful.... Tring to give the kind herb up actually... It's the killer of all motivation for some..

Back to motors....Why not just boost the LT1 and save all the hastles of the swap.. Same liter size motors anyway, right?... How about some heads and bolt on changes as well...
Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 95 9c1 (The police car that spawned the impala). Seen the first LS1/T56 Impala SS, sitting in the garage when I bought my car from Key Motors. Oh maaaaaan it was purty.

Go to impalassforum.com, look up the user LS1 MM6, that'd be the guy to start talking to.

Thing is, you can make any level of power you want with the LT1.
Another factor is the behavior of the LS motors - The LT motor puts out a shitload of torque at a low RPM, the drivability of the car is very good because the motor is matched to the weight of the car. The LS engines don't want to push that hard until they're higher in the powerband than the LT motors, so if you're going to swap them, you have to take into account the weight of the car and get the gearing right. Here's a bang for the buck formula that should put a 4400lb B-body into the same speed class as a stock ls1 F-bod without changing the engine and wiring harness:

LT1 engine with home depot intake, 1.6/1.7 staggered RR's, LE1 head porting, better valve springs, crane 227 or GM 845 cam, accel coil, good wires, delco plugs, tri-Y headers, Xpipe, 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes all the way back, 93 octane tune, 52MM TB, other "free" mods

T56 trans swap (this one is real popular and KICKS *** - parts manufactured at a place two towns over from me)

Eaton or Torsen positraction in the rear with a 4.10 gear set

Fix the braking prop valve cause GM didn't, Monroe SS shocks or bilstein if you've got the bucks, UMI rear LCA's and stock UCA's, ZQ8 bumpstops, voghtland springs, impala stock wheels or a set of 18's - no bigger.

This recipe usually puts a B-body car into the low 13's and handles and stops like you wouldn't expect a car of this size to, and has been shown with the proper tune and driving habits to nail about 28-30 mpg.

Can you tell I love my "battlecruiser"? I lusted after ls1 f-bods for years....finally got my trans am 3 weeks ago. And I'm glad every day that I waited until I could afford it without selling my B-car. If one had to go, it'd be the f-car.

BTW, I'm hammered. Sorry if this doesn't make sense!