General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Spunout and almost crashed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. You need snow tires
2. You need weight in the back of your car
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I would die if I crashed my firehawk, I drove a $20 dollar van all throughout highschool (yes 20 dollars), if you look up my fquick you can see the burgundy beast. Then got a manager job at a restaurant and worked 8 to 9 almost every day to save up for it along with my v6. I did not touch the brakes until we pulled a 180 because at that point I was almost certain we were going to crash and I wanted to at least attempt to slow down. I resisted the urge to hit them earlier because I know that's the last thing your supposed to do on snow/ice, but its almost impossible when your pretty much driving/sliding backwards on the highway staring at impending death. Dirt and grass does a great job slowing you down compared to slick icy roads is one thing I learned.

Gallardo is right though, I took the car for a gentle drive around campus today cause I'm a hypochondriac thinking about maybe something could be messed up that I didnt catch earlier, and under gentle throttle I got a bit of wheelspin on several occasions with TCS on. Granted it was under 20 deg today and the roads are covered with that salt paste, but damn.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just the snow tires, the weight in the back is a myth and I've never once had to put weight in the back on either my thirgen or 4thgen in 10+years of snow driving.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Update: The cars been sitting for awhile and I noticed the front right tire was saggin a little bit, checked the pressure and the front right was 19.5psi, the front left was 26psi and the back was both 31psi. I filled it back up so if it drops again I guess I have a slow leak, it might just be low from spinning around on the dirt or something.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

If the pressure does drop again check the beads on the tire. Sometimes dirt and debris can get lodged in there between the bead and wheel when exposed. It happens alot when people go off road. Just clean it up and you're good to go (though it may take dismounting the tire to do so).
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont understand why people say fbodys are horrible in the snow. last winter was my first winter season for my t/a. 6spd, summer tires, and tcs. had absolutly no problem in snow or ice.

honestly, the tcs sucks. i spun the tires a little bit rounding a corner, nothing to serious, i was able to correct it. if you were a passaenger you wouldnt even know i did a slight fishtail. but when i just correct, the tcs kicked in and made me do a large fishtail. i actully turn off tcs now in heavy snow/rain/ice

Quick Reply: Spunout and almost crashed!