General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving Tips for others?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving 101 rule # 1 & 2

#1. Never WOT when the road is wet or damp.

#2. Never WOT in a corner.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Driving 101 rule # 1 & 2

1 - All the time. It's fun.

2 - I'm not stupid.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by McNord
Learn to steer with the throttle, and the best tip I can give is ALWAYS look the direction you want to go, relax, and the car will end up there.

If you haven't screwed up, your not going fast enough, Its all about seat time and learning where the cars (and your) limits are.
McNord has it right.

Confidence comes with experience and practice. The only add on I have is to be foreward looking and to anticipate what can occur such as deer areas, other traffic, and always drive defensivly Best described as situational awareness.

Put your self in those situations that you want to be ready for in a safe place and under similar conditions so that you can instinctively make the right decesions if necessary.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Driving 101 rule # 1 & 2

you can go wot EXITING a corner if you have traction, but you really need to make sure you don't spin the wheels. the ideal thing is to know your car well enough to know when to time the acceleration so that you are on the verge of breaking traction as you exit. if done perfectly, you'd have a very light 4 wheel drift going.
to tell you the truth though, i generally don't corner THAT fast and wouldn't do so unless i was at a track.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Well for myself, I'm a E-brake kinda guy. I like to slide the car and getting the car into position I use the e brake. Now this should only be done out in the boonies for practice because you can get into a lot of trouble quick if you don't know what you are doing.
Also, coming into a turn come in hard and shift down hit the apex and floor it! That's a blast also but depending on your HP factor you can spin out if not ready for it. I do this with my wife's Infinity G35 Sport and can get that baby sideways in a controlled corner, it's pretty fun once you know how to do it.

Here is a video of someone doing similar to what I like to do in a high HP car.

http://video.kenblockracing.com/flas...FFF&autoplay=0

This will give you an idea of what is involved with driving the correct way.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's simple... Find the biggest open empty parking lot you can find in your area... Basically start fish tailing, flooring it, turning, dough nutting it, brake turns, slides, etc.....Do that on dry pavement first then do it the rain... Repeat steps until comfortable..

If the car doesn't break first you will become one with the Vehicle and know it's limitations....Worked for me when I was 16 years old..

Police work this same method with cones when learning.....

PS.. Don't try this with a top heavy 4X4 off road vehicle boys and girls..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

didnt read the rest of the posts but one of the worst things you can do when the rear comes out is overcompensate. when i first got my car i gave it too much gas merging onto the highway which caused the rear to slide out. i overcompensated which threw the rear out the other way, overcompensated again, and again, each time the rear sliding out further and faster in the other direction. by about the 4th or 5th time the rear just whipped around and i ended up doing a complete 360 across the highway. the rear came within 6 inches of the median and i ended up 1 inch from the guardrail on the other side. managed to keep it in the middle of the road though so i didn't hit anything.

messing around in parking lots and dead ends along with a little autox improved my driving skills by 900%
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
didnt read the rest of the posts but one of the worst things you can do when the rear comes out is overcompensate. when i first got my car i gave it too much gas merging onto the highway which caused the rear to slide out. i overcompensated which threw the rear out the other way, overcompensated again, and again, each time the rear sliding out further and faster in the other direction. by about the 4th or 5th time the rear just whipped around and i ended up doing a complete 360 across the highway. the rear came within 6 inches of the median and i ended up 1 inch from the guardrail on the other side. managed to keep it in the middle of the road though so i didn't hit anything.

messing around in parking lots and dead ends along with a little autox improved my driving skills by 900%

nice sig. any video?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

get some nuts and go faster. learn from your mistakes.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
1 - All the time. It's fun.

2 - I'm not stupid.
Not saying you are. just saying when have a stalled H/C/I/E car that EASILY break tires loose at 30mph on dry pavement you need follow my 101 rules #1 & #2 rules. I drank last weekend and let the GF drive home from the club (never again). After a light shower at 3a.m. in her neighborhood she WOT and it dropped into 1st and before we knew it the rear came around, jumped the curb, 180ed and bounced off the other curb. She started crying so I couldn't say anything but DAMN. THREE blocks from the ******* house. The fucked up thing is when we left the bar and I saw it was wet I told her DON'T WOT it tonight Now I am left with curb rash on heretofore perfect wheels

I am trying to look on the bright side and realize it could have been worse.....