General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Lifting car with engine hoist?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lifting car with engine hoist?

Hey guys, I know this can be done. Just pulling the front of the car up a little with an engine hoist. I am trying to get a little more room to pull my headers since my floor jack decided to leak half its fluid out and now maxes out at like 5 inches. I'm wondering where exactly you anchor it to on the front of the car? I can't seem to find anywhere that looks like it won't bend/break. Search didn't come up with anything for me.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Hey guys, I know this can be done. Just pulling the front of the car up a little with an engine hoist. I am trying to get a little more room to pull my headers since my floor jack decided to leak half its fluid out and now maxes out at like 5 inches. I'm wondering where exactly you anchor it to on the front of the car? I can't seem to find anywhere that looks like it won't bend/break. Search didn't come up with anything for me.
You can lift it by the upper radiator support. However, I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you are going to be under the car which it sounds like you will be. If you do decide to you can work your way up and use jackstands to support the weight of the vehicle. Don't get under there with the weight of the car supported only by the engine hoist... Very bad idea. Very dangerous.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, bad idea. New jack vs new life, hmmm.
I've seen engine hoists fly when they were over extended. Meaning the load was too far forward of the legs. It loads up like a spring until some point is reached and it'll shoot out.
I've had it happen once when I was 16, but been in situations where it could have happened again but prevented it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I just did it with a cherry-picker. Use the front support, but I would recommend using blocks of wood to strengthen to metal as with that much weight it's going to be heavy. Just remember the jackstands.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the plan, but I got it done using various other extremely unsafe methods. My big red jack from pep boys EXPLODED. Literally, shattered the piston into like 500 pieces. FLuid went in my eyes and everything. Thats why I was asking about this way, just to hoist it high enough for me to put some jackstands under it. Oh well its done now.

Quick Reply: Lifting car with engine hoist?