General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shipping a motor??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping a motor??

I’ve never shipped one...yet I have one for sale. Anyone with any experience or leads for a courier...tips always appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

Search google for a shipper, make calls. Thats easier than you think. You need a good estimate of weight, and decide if it's going to be picked up and dropped off at a residence or business. You can pay over the phone, they email you a bill of lading, you print it out. The shipper puts bar codes all over it, they told me once it's a good idea to tag the to and from addresses on it also.

To prep it. Drain as much of everything out as you can. Go to a local business and ask if they have a pallet you can have. Get one bigger than the engine but not too much bigger, it'll run the price up.

Set the engine on the pallet and secure it. A lot of junkyards use banding tools which seem weak to me. I've used ratchet straps, even made metal brackets to bolt it down.
Make sure your mounting method doesn't interfere with the forks that will pick it up.

You can do extra things like degrease it, cap and plug holes and hoses and wrap it in stretch wrap.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Search google for a shipper, make calls. Thats easier than you think. You need a good estimate of weight, and decide if it's going to be picked up and dropped off at a residence or business. You can pay over the phone, they email you a bill of lading, you print it out. The shipper puts bar codes all over it, they told me once it's a good idea to tag the to and from addresses on it also.

To prep it. Drain as much of everything out as you can. Go to a local business and ask if they have a pallet you can have. Get one bigger than the engine but not too much bigger, it'll run the price up.

Set the engine on the pallet and secure it. A lot of junkyards use banding tools which seem weak to me. I've used ratchet straps, even made metal brackets to bolt it down.
Make sure your mounting method doesn't interfere with the forks that will pick it up.

You can do extra things like degrease it, cap and plug holes and hoses and wrap it in stretch wrap.
Great info...I got a quote for 175lbs and have been told the shortblock is heavier than that. Thats the problem now...getting the wieght close. Think I will go buy some cheap rachet straps and go that route. Found a pallet at a dealership yesterday.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas speed sent my short block on fedex freight about 4 years ago for around $150 Took about a week to get it.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Make sure you have the correct weight, if you underestimate it, you will get fucked in over charges.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
Make sure you have the correct weight, if you underestimate it, you will get fucked in over charges.
Good point Merv...dont need that...shipping is high enough.

Ive been searching the web for wieght of a shortblock....no dice.

Are there any sponsors on here that have a good guess or know exactly what the wieght of a shortblock is?

I got a shipping estimate for 175lbs...but have been told that a shortblock will wiegh more than that.