General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help me pick one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell them to take 100 doallars of the ss because there is no shift **** and take the ss
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by jboice06
...If im not mistake 98 ss came with a front grill so that means someone has taken that one off to make it look cooler probably "joe blow nascar guy"
...it came with a stock CAMARO grille (SS grille was option), not an SS grille if that's what you're thinking. But yes either way it's missing.

...secondly that car came stock with a cd player and with that low of miles a stocker shouldnt crap out..... and why only throw in a cheap 139 dollar special from walmart back in the slot??...
No, the CD player was an option.

...third no shift ball, that could just be missing who knows...
Some dealer's remove the shift **** some people don't steal them.

OP - I'd pick the 1st, of course haggle them with the price. But I'd never buy a vert car. Just my $0.02

~ Craig
Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by billymz28
tell them to take 100 doallars of the ss because there is no shift **** and take the ss
lol that does kinda **** me off a lil....what the hell happened to it! haha but im gonna look at both and test drive both and couple WOT runs too(not to beat on but to hear the motor and see if its strong and can take the beating) i was never crazy bout verts but that one does look sexy....buuuut i always wanted a SS soooo at least i can do my own **** to it right? i know they have weaker rod bolts so i'll but a cam in her that i can shift rigth at 6500 like Pred-Z's El torro or the TR230 and some stock or nicely ported 243's. also not worried that the SS dont have a grill. i was gonna get a nice Billet SS grill for it. i just need to see both in person and drive them but im leaning towards the SS more since it is mostly stock and it is a SS...everyone knows 98 SS's are the fastest! hahaha Kidding...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

there's also not very many Awsome finds in my area(findlay,ohio) and the better cars are either auto or too much so i can get carried away or i get this 02 M6 red WS6 bone stock with 47k for 15k thats only 30miles away from me.....i have shitty shitty credit and all the dealers wont deal wit me unless i have at least 3k cash for a downpayment(hence on selling the cobra) soooo take that into consideration too. but so far looks like most people are sayin 98 SS and offer $8500.....anyways HOW DO I TALK DEALERS DOWN? i have no clue on that...any tips/advice???
Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok here goes nothing... The 98 ss as it may seem great for the price and all with low mileage, ive got a few questions when I say NBM that means never been molested as in drove into the dirt by joe blow "bonafied nascar drag racer"..... So if thats what you meen heres what I can see which may call for concern.... If im not mistake 98 ss came with a front grill so that means someone has taken that one off to make it look cooler probably "joe blow nascar guy" secondly that car came stock with a cd player and with that low of miles a stocker shouldnt crap out..... and why only throw in a cheap 139 dollar special from walmart back in the slot?? "joe blows poor" third no shift ball, that could just be missing who knows... but what id say would be to look at the gas and clutch pedal.. usual first signs of a bunghole raped vehicle is the gas pedals rubber cover at the top will be ripped down to the medal base or worn down, and the clutch will be worn down heavily to the top left corner all which shouldnt happen on a 87,000 mile car unless "joe blow gets drunk and fictiously races the daytona 500 with the car off..... the other car well you know its def been beat on to some extent people dont put cams in cars just to drive it to and from church or just to go pick up lassy from the dog groomers.... they get a cam to get more juice to the pedal.... take this all with a grain of sand.... even though ive said what i said about the SS id offer them 8100 on the SS and call it good .....

NBM stands for Navy Blue Metallic.

Paul, of the two, I'd go with the 98 SS. I don't think it's too bad of a deal, and you're better off starting with a car that hasn't been cammed or with headwork, that way we know exactly what's going on with the car.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know why people are giving you opinions on those they are both asking way to much look at the one in my sig got it for 4900 with 116k on it bone stock now. you get one as cheap as i did you could have a lot of money for mods

so my answer is neither of those keep looking!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

lol i shoulda made this a Poll
Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing i noticed with the front bumper on the SS too is that behind the grille it says CAMARO in the middle and this one doesn't . He may have had it filled but then why not fill the grille holes too. This leads me to believe it's got a replaced bumper and likely a cheap aftermarket. Also it has NO monsoon stereo(stock BLOWS) as it has no speakers in the rear hatch area. The ash tray cover is gone, i don't see any exhaust tips but it may be the angle. I'd pass on the SS and go with the Z28 if it was me. I'd look in the FS section here. You can find one with mods with less miles for that price of the Z28. Shop around but if you set between those 2 get the Z28 hands down.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro396

Paul, of the two, I'd go with the 98 SS. I don't think it's too bad of a deal, and you're better off starting with a car that hasn't been cammed or with headwork, that way we know exactly what's going on with the car.
Ya thanx lance...thats prolly the best idea. it wont take a lot lot to wake her up anyways. Some LT's, cut out, 96mm typhoon intake and SLP lip would be a nice start Also those 98 heads GOTTA GO! 243's here i come lol
Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Train
One thing i noticed with the front bumper on the SS too is that behind the grille it says CAMARO in the middle and this one doesn't . He may have had it filled but then why not fill the grille holes too. This leads me to believe it's got a replaced bumper and likely a cheap aftermarket. Also it has NO monsoon stereo(stock BLOWS) as it has no speakers in the rear hatch area. The ash tray cover is gone, i don't see any exhaust tips but it may be the angle. I'd pass on the SS and go with the Z28 if it was me. I'd look in the FS section here. You can find one with mods with less miles for that price of the Z28. Shop around but if you set between those 2 get the Z28 hands down.
My NBM car also doesn't say Camaro behind the grill like most do, and has never been in an accident.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

was the Monsoon an option or standard? cause Coletrain is right..it dosent have a Monsoon stereo
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Transgression
was the Monsoon an option or standard? cause Coletrain is right..it dosent have a Monsoon stereo
200 watt stereo was standard and the 500 watt Monsoon was an option, you would not want either. Both suck *****.

~ Craig
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

well price talk down basics.
step1= im going to keep looking for now and check all my options. The dealers dont want you to leave the lot without there car.

Step 2= just tell them that is a little more than you can spend.

Step 3= just say you can get the same car with a little less miles for the same price.

step 4= point out the problems with the car all useds cars have them like the shift **** or the window motors as we all know how good they are. also not picking the car apart but looked like the rims were knicked a little. and if they start saying that those are cheap fixes just tell them labor is not cheap though. now they will either fix the problems highly doubtfull though or knock some money off.
and if all that fails just yell sexual harassment im suing for a 150 million dollars.

even when i had a z28 i always wanted a ss
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
That is soo funny. Never Been Molested?

My advice is to go with the first car. Then Mod it yourself. At least you will have a better idea how it has been treated and what has been done.
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by billymz28
well price talk down basics.
step1= im going to keep looking for now and check all my options. The dealers dont want you to leave the lot without there car.

Step 2= just tell them that is a little more than you can spend.

Step 3= just say you can get the same car with a little less miles for the same price.

step 4= point out the problems with the car all useds cars have them like the shift **** or the window motors as we all know how good they are. also not picking the car apart but looked like the rims were knicked a little. and if they start saying that those are cheap fixes just tell them labor is not cheap though. now they will either fix the problems highly doubtfull though or knock some money off.
and if all that fails just yell sexual harassment im suing for a 150 million dollars.

even when i had a z28 i always wanted a ss

LMAO yell sexual harassment and sue! **** then i get a 08 Z06 lol
TECH Addict

hmm i didn't know that i've never seen a stock bumper WITHOUT Camaro written behind the grille. I stand corrected i guess. The Monsoon isn't great but it's SUBSTANTIALLY better then the base crap. I'd rather have Monsoon. My '00 v6 Camaro didn't have monsoon but my dad's '02 V6 Camaro SLP car had Monsoon and if i had monsoon i wouldn't have upgraded the whole system. I had Bose in my '96 Z28 and stock speakers but aftermarket H/U and it was AWESOME sounding i thought.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM

hmm i didn't know that i've never seen a stock bumper WITHOUT Camaro written behind the grille. I stand corrected i guess. The Monsoon isn't great but it's SUBSTANTIALLY better then the base crap. I'd rather have Monsoon. My '00 v6 Camaro didn't have monsoon but my dad's '02 V6 Camaro SLP car had Monsoon and if i had monsoon i wouldn't have upgraded the whole system. I had Bose in my '96 Z28 and stock speakers but aftermarket H/U and it was AWESOME sounding i thought.
All of the Camaro's said Camaro behind the grille, if they don't it's because the previous owner filled it in.

If you would've had the Monsoon you'd still want to rip it out, it's garbage. 2ohm speakers are emo and blow every time you turn the radio on, and not many aftermarket 2ohm speakers out there. Plus the sound is weak. I "had" the Monsoon, I would know.

~ Craig
Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

i'm just saying that the base is worse then the Monsoon that's all. I had all aftermarket in my '00 Camaro because the base was CRAP. i didn't listen to my dads Monsoon enough to really know how bad it was i guess.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 PM

i'm just saying that the base is worse then the Monsoon that's all. I had all aftermarket in my '00 Camaro because the base was CRAP. i didn't listen to my dads Monsoon enough to really know how bad it was i guess.
I understand what you're saying. Also with a full exhaust car you have to turn the radio up, then you start popping stock crap speakers.

Some members here with not much exhaust work might not have as much of a problem with their Monsoon too.

~ Craig
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

i used to have 02 NBM Z wit the 500watt system in it and i like it...when it worked....blew the sail panel subs 3 times! grrrr but as long as i have a cd play then im happy im sure withj LT's and good cat back i wouldnt listen to the radio much anyways lol