General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

More cam help...how the hell do you get the pulley off with the 3 arm puller??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More cam help...how the hell do you get the pulley off with the 3 arm puller??

Well im stuck on this step in my cam install:

Now install your 3 arm pulley puller, mounting the hooks of the three arms on the inner part of the stock pulley. If you already have an underdrive pulley on there, either pull it off using a 3 screw type puller, or be VERY careful and grab onto a lip of the underdrive pulley (on the f-body ASP pulley there is a ridge half way back that can be pulled on safely with a 3 arm puller). Keeping the pulley puller arms all secure and aligned, begin to tighten the bolt on the puller and crank on it until the pulley either comes loose, or hits the head of your crank bolt. If it hits the head of your crankbolt, loosen the pulley puller, unturn the bolt 1-2 turns, and re-try it again. The key when you back your crank bolt out more, you are putting MORE stress on less and less of the threads...however, towards the end of pulley removal it will come off easier and easier so the stress isn't enough to damage the crankshaft threads.

If you get the pulley as far off as it'll come without totally removing the crankbolt and the pulley is still firmly on there, give it a good tug or a tap with a rubber mallet...it should be hanging on by just a hair at this point. If you have the longer crank bolt, this won't be an issue.

I have the puller, assembled it, and I have no idea how to get this thing to stay put on the pulley, let alone be able to wrestle with it to loosen the pulley. I tried tightning all the shoulder bolts to keep the arms from moving, and everything I go to start moving it, it shifts and eventually pops off...also I don't see how tightning the bolt on the puller does anything, unless I assembled mine wrong or something, this doesn't pull against the pulley at all....ahh please help!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

r u sure ur using the right puller cuse the above is correct.here is a link to ebay where they have a couple of them good luck
Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Do you have the puller on the outer ring of the pulley where the belt goes or the inner section closest to the crank snout. It took me a while to realize I needed to pull from the inner lips closest to the crank. After I switched the puller jaws around it cam off fairly easy.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

I have the puller on the inside of the pulley...maybe its assembled wrong? It looks to me as it should though...
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Ok new problem, the pulley started to come off, slid maybe an inch or so foward, and WILL NOT MOVE. I re-did the puller and it absolutely will not go any further. I really want to get more work done as im off all day tomm so it would be great if I can get this damn thing off.