General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Best setup with emissions!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best setup with emissions!!

Hey guys. I have been planning on running true duals on my car. However, I am in the navy and don't know where I will be living. I am going to assume I will have to pass emissions.

My question is, what is the best setup I can run and still pass emissions. I intended on running kooks headers. I want a full header back exhaust. Thanks in advance.

And before someone says it, i did search.

-Lucas
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

I just do not fully understand the concept. I want to run the kooks LT headers w/ air and EGR. Where do I go from there?

If i was to purchase the Pacesetter Headers & TSP Cat Y Pipe Combo that would work correct?

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=181&catid=45

And would I just purchase a catback from there?

Excuse my ignorance guys. Thanks in advace for all the help.

-Lucas
Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

LT are not legal in Cali.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

well thats not true duals, true duals is an x pipe thats a y, but you will pass emissions with that catted y as long as your not in california.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camaroracer91
well thats not true duals, true duals is an x pipe thats a y, but you will pass emissions with that catted y as long as your not in california.
I know that is not true duals. I WAS planning on running true duals before I was going to be emissions legal.

I will probably be living in california, so what is the best exhaust setup I can run and pass emissions in Cali?

Thanks guys
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

So I will obviously have to run midlength headers. So if I run midlengths where do I go from there?

I would like to run the borla adjustable catback.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys would be scary suprised to see what is actually "legal" in most states. California is of course the worst, but at least you can run shorties. But hey, exhaust isn't where all the power comes from Pat G pade 400 to the wheels AFR 205s and and a CheaTR cam with stock exhaust

Basically make sure you don't have any check engine lights, you have cats, and make sure the readiness monitors are coming on for each system that is monitored (you need some sort of scanner). You should pass in most states.

Oh, and Cali's emissions apply in Arizona, Nevada, and most (if not all) of Calis surrounding states.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers wise, shorties that connect to cats in the STOCK position are the only thing that is truely legal. EPA says that cats have to be in the OEM location to be legal. That said, most area that test and inspect for emission in the US (except Cali) are OK as long as you have cats and all equipment is still installed.

What about keeping your car registered back home, Many states that have regular inspections will waive them for a millitary member stationed out of state.

Re'