General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

help me with my build!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me with my build!!!

Hey guys.

Here's the deal. I am currently in the Navy Delayed Entry Program. I leave for basic on the 30th of June.

At the completion of basic, I will recieve a small bonus of $6,000. That's when it's going to be time to start the modding

I currently have the mods in my sig. Last Sunday I took my first trips down the track ever and mustered out a 12.9999.

My goal is to have a 100% street car. That means all A/C, ABS, PS, full interior, etc.

I am going to first purchase H/C/I. I am looking at the AFR 205cc head/cam package from TSP. What cam would be best for my situation? I need to pass emissions as I do not know where I will be stationed..

For intake, I am looking at the FAST 92 w/ Nick Williams 92mm TB package. Also from TSP.

What will I need as far as fuel system goes? Injector size, fuel rails, etc??

After all of this work is done, I will get into the suspension/rearend. Porbably going to run a 9" with a streetable gear.

Any suggestions are welcome. I need some help with this fella's.

For those of you who are going to ask, "why are you modding your car if you're going into the service?", the answer is I am taking the car with me wherever I am stationed.

Thanks guys.

-Lucas
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

I also would love to do a turbo, TT, or S/C kit sometime down the road. The car only has 50k miles, but that would be making quite a bit of HP. Should I do something with the internals while I am doing all of this work?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you can. turbo it. but that would be MUCH more than 6k to complete. since you cant do that. id go with pretty much jsut what you said. hci. afrs are a bet. same with the intake package. jsut decide which cam is best for you. i had a tr 224/224 in my 98ss and it was awesome. sounded great with its 112* lope. gave good enough power. i wanted more but i never got around to actually adding heads or intake. i also had 4.10 gears in it. but i still got 20 mpg average. so it was a nice car. however my turbo ss satisfied me a whole nother way. lol. and it still got 26mpg on the highway. and yes you should at least get what comes with a cam package like valvesprings and pushrods and what not. just depends on how much you want to spend. just remember you ALWAYS get what you pay for. but dont be afraid to get more cam. especially if thats what you want. just make sure you can keep it running.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks.

I was referring to getting some sort of FI later on down the road. Not immediatly. The $6k is just for H/C/I.

A big problem with this build is being able to pass emissions..
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** turbo do a nitrous build. turbo's are wastes of money. but i think your gonna need more than 6k for all that, try adding up all the prices and see where that leaves you. my first turbo build was 28k!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

guys guys guys...

Slow down and read my posts please.

I have made it clear by now that I am not doing any type of FI until later. THE $6K IS FOR H/C/I AND FUEL ONLY!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol. well then id say do excactly as you said. i mean it sounds about right. ik my tr224/224 cam with 4.10's was pretty effin streetable. the powerband was just fun as hell. you might be able to go a little bigger with the cam. but i mean. since your doing heads and what not you will definately be at over 400rwhp with that set up. thats pretty sick for a street car ya know. and put in 4.10's. trust me. it will help your city mileage when your cruising at 40 mph in 6th gear without issue. and it was very reliable with that came. never had any issue with that car. had the cam adn work done in for 30k miles before i sold it. still running great. it had 15k when the cam was put in. 45k when i sold it. and believe me. i was not afraid to GET ON IT. i was 17 when i first bought the car. so it can take some abuse lol. i had valvesprings a pushrod and that was it internally. all the typical bolt ons, gears, jsut an aluminum diff cover on the stock 10 bolt, underdrive pulleys, some other little things, not too crazy though.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing you need to consider is a H/C car needs a small cc head for compression and when you go FI you will need a big cc head to lower compression so you can run more boost. You are looking at getting two sets of heads........