General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Quick Question

Recently my car gives me absolutely no power in 1st gear and getting off the line but if im rolling everything is fine, it gives me amazing power like it should and i took the car to get my mechanic that did my clutch to get an opinion and he guessed it had something to do with the fuel injection system or something, thats what he felt when he drove it.
My brother also knows his car stuff very well unlike me and as soon as he drove it he said it was the fuel filter b/c its not letting the appropriate amount of fuel threw as it needs for 1st gear. Anyways what do you guys think? Have you been in the same situation before?

And are this cars fuel filters in the gas tank or In-Line? b/c my brother can change it if its In-Line and if its not i gotta get it done professionally which is costly :/

Thanks You
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its in line, takes like 10min to change. Don't know why you would get enough power in every other gear except 1st though?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

You're going to have to elaborate more-What do you mean by "recently"? LS1 engines are more top-end performers than anything and can feel sluggish down low unless modified.

Who is your mechanic, and why would he immediately blame something like the fuel system after he just did a clutch swap. That's what I would be looking at

And I'm not doubting your brothers knowledge, but unless he's edgar cayce and can diagnose a car in his dreams, I doubt it would be the fuel filter. But if you feel that's the culprit you can pick a new filter up from Wal-Mart for $10. It's near the driver side rear wheel well. And no you don't need the special $20 tool, a flat-head screwdriver works wonders. You could also get a base pressure reading at the schrader valve.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
You're going to have to elaborate more-What do you mean by "recently"? LS1 engines are more top-end performers than anything and can feel sluggish down low unless modified.

Who is your mechanic, and why would he immediately blame something like the fuel system after he just did a clutch swap. That's what I would be looking at

And I'm not doubting your brothers knowledge, but unless he's edgar cayce and can diagnose a car in his dreams, I doubt it would be the fuel filter. But if you feel that's the culprit you can pick a new filter up from Wal-Mart for $10. It's near the driver side rear wheel well. And no you don't need the special $20 tool, a flat-head screwdriver works wonders. You could also get a base pressure reading at the schrader valve.
This situation has been going on from DecemberISH and it's not the clutch b/c everything on the clutch works fine, every gear engages, doesn't slip, idk what to tell you but its not the clutch and i took it back to my clutch guy b/c i've known him even before he did my clutch and i trust him thats why my brother is not Edgar Cayce but his done enough fixing cars around our families cars and his own cars that i just trust his judgement, simple enough? lol and i think i might give the fuel filter thing a try maybe tomorrow since everyones making it sound fairly easy.

And may i ask why you doubt its the fuel filter? besides the fact that your suspicious with the clutch situation
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is unlikely that it is the fuel filter because if it was it would not be supplying enough fuel in ALL gears. When is the last time you changed your plugs and wires? Do you have an SES light on? How old are your cats if you still have them? Like others said it can be hard to diagnose without seeing the car and diagnosing it in person.