General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

OIl LEAK Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OIl LEAK Help

I moved my car today into the driveway. I found a oil spot on the garage floor. Then I looked under the car(1999 Z/28) and saw a oil spot under it. It looks like it's dripping from behind the y pipe. By the pass side o2. What would cause this? What should I look at to fix the leak? I'm new to the ls-1. So any tips or help would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?

Could it be the u joint or maybe the seal where the u joint goes into the tranny?
How hard is it to change either of the two?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U joint has grease not really a oil. The joints are not hard to change at all if you have the right tools. Doubt that is your problem. The tail shaft seal that you are talking about leaks all the time. Mark the drive shaft on how it is mated to the rear diff, < that is really important. Slide the drive shaft out. Depending on how the car is lifted you may have some tranny fluid drip out. It is ok for it to do that. Use a flat tip screw driver and pry out the seal. Clean the mating surface and tap in the new seal with a rubber hammer, and it is done. Make sure the seal is going in straight. Clean off the yolk, slide drive shaft in the tranny and line up the mark you made eariler and tighten.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say it's more of a grease. I looked under the car today. It looks like the grease is flung all over in that area. I could always change the seal and the u joint to be safe.