General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

at a bit of a crossroad with tranny selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default at a bit of a crossroad with tranny selection

so i paid for a built th350 w/ converter that should be here wednesday. yay for me.

the car has almost 100k miles, stock 4l60e, pretty stock other than nitrous.

plan for the car is a big cam, stock heads, upgrade the exhaust (thinking shortys and o/r/y out the back of the car with the same LM1 muffler I have. real basic but should make good power (car already made 446/509 to the wheels) and get me where I'm going daily (I have a 30 mile round trip commute to work).

Now the more I drive the car with the 4 speed I'm rethinking installing the 3 speed and thinking that I should just try to trade the whole set up for a mildly built (or even stock low mileage) t-56 setup with a spec 3 clutch or better.

I still need to buy the stuff for the th350 swap other than tranny/converter so either way I'm not going to be losing a ton of cash on it if any.

the car will probably never see the track, it's more just to enjoy on the way too and from work and do some cruising around town.

I think the only downside I see to either set up is initial cost, and then reduced gas mileage with the th350. Can't see a problem swapping to 6spd as I'm pretty decent behind a shifter and I'm really not going to be racing the car much.

What do you guys think? Everytime I have money in the bank I'm going to be doing more stuff to the car, and I think if I do the 6spd I'll be limiting myself (but in a good way) and if I go auto I'll end up tearing the car down and building it into something I don't really need and end up losing interest in it.

Any input?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its your daily driver then I would stay away from the th350. It will just eat you up on the highway. Another option would be picking up a used 4L80E. They are basically a th400 with overdrive so they can handle a lot of power.