General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

coolant bypass tube help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant bypass tube help

I have a forged LQ9 block with L92 heads that I'm building into a turbo motor. I have a LS1 complete motor that I'm robbing parts off of to complete the LQ9. The LS1 has a 4 leg coolant tube under the intake that connects to the 4 corners of the block for(I believe) coolant flow to the heads. I'm told that on LS2, LS3, and LS7 motors, these are just plugged. Do I need to have the coolant bypass tube for my LQ9 set up(or can I just use plugs)? If I don't need it; I'd like to leave the coolant tube on the LS1 (for when I sell the longblock). Any info would be great! Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. I got confused.
Perhaps check out a coolant schematic? You have a service manual? I say get one if your building up a motor like this.
I'll keep lookin' for you though.

If its plastic, it doesn't need coolant. I would just make sure the block and heads are plumbed and anything on the intake doesn't need coolant unless you'll be driving in extremely cold temps.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only the 98-00 ls1's had the 4 legged coolant tubes. The 01 and 02 ls1's that had the ls6 manifold had a crossover tube in the front and 2 blockoff plugs in the back. Im not sure which style pipes the lq9 needs.

A pair of block off plugs and crossover pipe can be bought for about $50 shipped from a number of sponsers. If you need the 4 legged ls1 coolant pipes, ill give you a good price on one ig have.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Only two are plugged, the rears. You need a crossover in teh front with a hose to the radiator or tapped into the upper rad hose, water pump, etc.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question would be....why would you block them off? I've had drag racing heads with Steam tubes to help hot spots in the heads. Isn't that the same principle for these tubes?
Steam tubes in my application made it so you can run a leaner mixture without detonating. They work like a champ on race cars like what I had and even Pro Stock cars have them as well. Here is a link of what they look like: http://www.machdevelopment.com/page/page/236997.htm

Quick Reply: coolant bypass tube help