General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2 questions about totalled 2000 formy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions about totalled 2000 formy

i cant pop mthe hood, the lever is ruined from the crash, is there a way to pop the hood without breaking into it?

its an auto, the shifter will go from p-r-n-d-2-1 or whatever without the car on, isnt that weird? it has no hasitant, it just slides up and down with the car off! could this be because the car was in drive in the crash and when they towed it they did something to it?

im really starting to worry now since the tranny will change gears with the car off and the hood wont open...i still hope there is still a engine and tranny in the car!!!

another thing, how hard would it be to straighten the frame on the car/ the side rail (drivers) is bent in pretty bad, either fix it or maybe i can just try to buy a frame?

thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Was it hit in the front as well? If so, just pry the hood open and manipulate the mechanism with a screwdriver. Conversely, if by "lever" you mean the plastic piece that allows you to tug and open the hood, have you tried using a pair of pliers on the cable?

I wouldn't worry about the shifter moving up/down just yet. Judging from your post, I'd advise that you get the car towed to your mechanic for help. There are other ways to tell if the engine/trans are still in the car besides popping the hood. Are you able to jack up one side of the car safely?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i am sure i could crawl under there but i didnt want to, and no, aside from the driver side, nothing else is damaged on the car, from the drivers door forward, the car is untouched.if i bought the cae deom insurance buy back, and it is missing the engine and tranny isnt that grounds for a refund or lawsuit?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you got paid for the car by the insurance company then it is their car. They can do what ever they want with it including pulling the motor.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 287 Likes on 216 Posts

So is the Engine/Tranny missing?

There is a little Cable that goes from the Shifter to the Steering Column that locks the Shifter. When mine was an Auto I took that Cable out so I could move the Shifter with the Car off incase I needed to move it without having to turn the Key on.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be able to tell missing engine from 5 feet away, the front end would be real high.

The trans cable could be disconnected, making the shifter seem easy. What happens if you push the gas pedal, does it spring back?

Ryan
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the shifter is able to move because the linkage isnt connected to the tranny.

CALL YOUR INSURANCE AND FIND OUT WHY YOU DIDNT GET YOUR ENGINE AND TRANNY BACK!!!!! 99% OF PEOPLE BUY THEIR TOTALED CAR BACK JUST FOR THOSE TWO PARTS!!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 287 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
well the shifter is able to move because the linkage isnt connected to the tranny.
Not necessarily.. it will still lock with the Cable from the Steering Column.