General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is vss required?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is vss required?

Hi, I'm new to this board and new to the ls1 crowd. And a bit old school. (60's cars)I'm doing a conversion and my application is a standard trans, which is not GM. Is a vss input required or am I going to have stalling and driveability issues? I've heard there are "standalone" harnesses and the marine industry doesn't use a speed input either on their ls based engines. I've heard the iac is effected. Btw. Great bunch of guys here, been reading for a while, finally registered.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for idle, the pcm does look at the vss input (must be below 0mph - stock setting) to set the idle zone.

as far as i know, with the LS1, vss is only really needed by the automatic transmission.
it is also used in the speed limiter and torque management system as it uses the vehicle speed to determine if/when it will cut power, but i dont think you'll have a problem with that.

there is a fuel cutoff set for a faulty vss, but the rpm limits are the same (cutoff at 6200rpm on my 99 SS) as stock so no issues there.

best of luck with your project
Old 05-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torque management is another thing I don't need. No ABS pickups on this car either. I gonna try and pull it all out of the harness and delete the inputs Hope it runs. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Is vss required?