General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need help making the right call put ur thought in please

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help making the right call put ur thought in please

ok so i have some new heads for my 01z28 ls1 the prc's and i just pulled my stock head off and said to myself wow theres not much left to pull out if i want to do an engine swap. (6.0L?) i was thinking well i had tought about building one this winter because i can get a block with heads for 400 which is fricken cheap. helps to know someone thats hard up for money lol. so what do u think, should i just go for it and build a 408 or 427 or just put the heads cam lifters and pushrods in my existing motor? i also noticed just a small amount of cylinder scoring so that made me want to do the swap more. its not horrible but u can feel it. let me know what u guys think about the swap or do u have a better swap i should do if i have access to the parts. what other options would u say. keep my motor & build a 383 & save some money or spend alittle & build a diffent motor like a 6L keep in mind bigger motor possibly diff. rear end & trans I would assume.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

I'd put your motor back together if you don't have anything else to drive.

Truck 6.0L right? Make sure the 6.0L is a 2001+ motor otherwise you will need to take it to the machine shop to get the reluctor wheel changed out (crank work). You'll need your ls1 oil pan, windage tray, pick up tube and have a hole drilled and tapped for the upper Alternator bolt.

IMO I'd pick up a set of forged pistons and rod bolts for the 6.0L and build a 408 that could hold some spray. I wouldn't go all out on the motor, need to save some money for trans/rear end.

You will always spend more money than you think on projects like this, so keep that in mind.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

i have cars 2 drive i dont need to drive this one
Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

def get the 6L thats a deal for 400
Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

its just a block & heads that r used. want to make 427 but don't know what all I need. I thought I seen a thread in a sticky the other day that had something 2do with making a big motor with out a lot of cash but can't find it can some one help there
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I know its going to cost me more than I think so that's why I thought I would take my ls1 & make a 396 (i think I can do that right) or take that 2002 6L truck block (and the heads?)and make a 408 out of it. what cast # should I be running. I think I have right around 6k to 7k to pull something 2gether hope this is enough.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

can u use my spec stage 3+clutch with the 6.0? the more I think about this even if I get a good deal on the block maybe I should just do the 396 & save a ton of cash since I have a lot of the parts already. hummm huge decision