General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Borla Catback... From Hotrod to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Catback... From Hotrod to Honda

Hey ls1tech,

I recently put some cheapo (E-gay) headers on. I went catless and had a custom y pipe built all the way back to my borla exhaust system.

Let me start off by saying I never had a block off plate.

When we first started it up, the earth shook. The LS1 sounded like someone shoved a nail thru satans foot.

I than got the bright idea to custom make my own block off plate.

I put it in, excited to hear my borla muffler for the first time! I started it up and was soooo very dissapointed. QUIET QUIET QUIET, like a freaking stock jap car. I swear it sounds like stock exhaust, and I think I feel a power loss as well (although IDK).

Anyone else experience this with their borla catback system?

As soon as my exhaust cools today, im throwing that plate away and never looking back
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk i have lt's, catted y, and open plate borla and never put a block off in i just like the sound to much i cant wait for the cam about to go in lol
Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has a cammed Borla setup (switches between cats and off-road pipes because he has Dynatech headers which allow that). I LOVE the sound in the car. Outside the car took me a long time to get used to, especially compared to my Magnaflow, but it's definitely grown on me a lot. It's definitely a unique sound and I really like it now. To each their own.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I have a similar set up. I have long tube headers, ORY, and borla catback. I am also catless. I thought about making my own plates too until I read this post! The borla came with the car but I had headers/ORY put on. I didnt get the plates with the system either. Anyhow I love the way mine sounds the way it is!!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I love the way the borla sounds too.... with the plate open

I just took my plate off and instant badass again!

If you do block it off tho, u'll understand my bark haha.... im pretty sure anyways
Old 06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and my ponies returned too it feels like... first run after I took the plate off the ls1 ran like a champion!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Blockoffs? That's for quakers.
Run it open and smile when ya pass the 5 Oh
Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borla, Long tubes, ORY, and a big cam here. Always run it open and it's loud but I like it. I've closed it up a few times when going thru emissions and it does get very quiet. I recently bought the DMH electric cutout, gonna close the Borla up and put the cutout right before the axle in the I pipe. This should help with the noise coming from the garage on cold starts. I almost hate driving to work cause I on't like making so much noise that early in the morning.