General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How did you pick between canyon carver and strait line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its great to turn your fbody into a quick canyon carver, but you're really not going to see the full potential of the car as compared to what you can do with one in the 1/4. there's a lot going against you in your goal to make a canyon carving fbody that would take on a zr-1 (solid live axle, heavier, list goes on). you can make your fbody handle great, but its not going to corner as well as if you had dumped the same money into a vette.
on the other hand, for 1/4 mile, you may be better off taking that same chunk of change and spending it on an fbody as opposed to a vette.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the turbo is definetely something I'm going to go after. And most likely I'll end up with an iron block just because of the good deal associated with the LQ9, coupled with the fact that I've got some miles on my LS1. One weight saving thing that I'll do for the front is to use the BMR turbo K member with solid mounts. If combined with some A arms then I should shed about 40 lbs from the front of the car.

The weight up front is something that I'm just going to have to deal with, but the power that I'll get should make it well worth it
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sciff5
Car is about 2750lbs
I am sure that is a fun car I have only seen one around here and it was in Wilmington but he had never gotten any times on it.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Yeah, the turbo is definetely something I'm going to go after. And most likely I'll end up with an iron block just because of the good deal associated with the LQ9, coupled with the fact that I've got some miles on my LS1. One weight saving thing that I'll do for the front is to use the BMR turbo K member with solid mounts. If combined with some A arms then I should shed about 40 lbs from the front of the car.

The weight up front is something that I'm just going to have to deal with, but the power that I'll get should make it well worth it
Before you jump into things you need to search search search. The BMR K member may not be suited for street driving, Im not sure but you should look into it.
Here found the thread I was looking for:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ber-broke.html
If you are going to do a k-memeber I would look into a UMI road race one. Most other aftermarket k-members are made for trailered drag cars, the road race ones are reinforced because of the more extreme abuse they need to take.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 07-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your really serious about corner carving, the 600rwhp + turbo setup isnt really a good idea. it'll give you way more power than you will need, and you'll be fighting the car the whole time just to keep it under control while cars with half the power are handing you your butt.
the best advice i was ever given about getting into road racing or auto-x for that matter was get a decent handling car with no power since it forces you to become a better driver than making up for your mistakes with power. just some food for thought...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the deal:
I'm still undecided as to which direction to take the car, strait line or handler. What I am sure of though, is that I want this car to register a 9.0 on the butt-o-meter. Intoxicating accelleration is a must. Most of my auto thrills have come from interstate onramps, or places to blast off from a 20mph roll. I've never had an F body for handling... yet. I have always enjoyed nimble automobiles, like BMWs. But, I also had a lot of fun with my '68 big block Pontiac Tempest, and there wasnt anything but "mushy" in the corners with that thing.

A huge part of my goals with this car has to do with the do-it-yourself fabrication on my part. What I really want to do is spend countless hours under the front of this thing welding up exhaust elbows, grinding the welds down because it wasnt quite right, and busting knuckles/cursing trying to make it all fit. I want to say that I built this. I chose the turbo...I chose the size of the pipe diameters... I fabricated the design of the merge... I used HPTuners to tune it all. That's my goal. A complete home brew with all the mig welding and parts piling up on the work bench; owning the underside of the hood.

But then what the hell do I do with it? It sure would make for one bad drag racing platform. But would that get old? Could I put Sam Strano behind the wheel of an Fbody with this type of torque and make it worth a damn? Surely, there is a way to build an Fbody to accomodate this type of power on a road course... right? I know there isnt any way to compare an fbody to a ZR1 vette, but that's the type of power that I want to make. I've just got to figure out what I would enjoy doing with it. There would be plenty of power for a drift car
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by subarubill96
if your really serious about corner carving, the 600rwhp + turbo setup isnt really a good idea. it'll give you way more power than you will need, and you'll be fighting the car the whole time just to keep it under control while cars with half the power are handing you your butt.
the best advice i was ever given about getting into road racing or auto-x for that matter was get a decent handling car with no power since it forces you to become a better driver than making up for your mistakes with power. just some food for thought...
x2 on the car with no power.

one of my friends had an ae 86 rolla. all the stock 4 cyl had was a header. and intake exhaust. still slow as hell. but the suspension was fully done. handled amazing. in the autox events he was beating evo's and sti's and other cars of the like. driver mod comes first before anything imo
Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are going to do a k-memeber I would look into a UMI road race one. Most other aftermarket k-members are made for trailered drag cars, the road race ones are reinforced because of the more extreme abuse they need to take.
Its the turbo K member that I'm interested in, and only because it allows for some major exhaust pipe clearance. The weight savings is nice too, but its all about being able to route a 4" down pipe with ease
Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to get one f-body for drag, one for corners, but i don't know if i am going to do that anymore, maybe you can do this....

All roads are straight around here and I don't think there's any point unless i take it to a track, which i probably wont. So I will stick with straight line performace.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the deal:
I'm still undecided as to which direction to take the car, strait line or handler. What I am sure of though, is that I want this car to register a 9.0 on the butt-o-meter. Intoxicating accelleration is a must. Most of my auto thrills have come from interstate onramps, or places to blast off from a 20mph roll. I've never had an F body for handling... yet. I have always enjoyed nimble automobiles, like BMWs. But, I also had a lot of fun with my '68 big block Pontiac Tempest, and there wasnt anything but "mushy" in the corners with that thing.

A huge part of my goals with this car has to do with the do-it-yourself fabrication on my part. What I really want to do is spend countless hours under the front of this thing welding up exhaust elbows, grinding the welds down because it wasnt quite right, and busting knuckles/cursing trying to make it all fit. I want to say that I built this. I chose the turbo...I chose the size of the pipe diameters... I fabricated the design of the merge... I used HPTuners to tune it all. That's my goal. A complete home brew with all the mig welding and parts piling up on the work bench; owning the underside of the hood.

But then what the hell do I do with it? It sure would make for one bad drag racing platform. But would that get old? Could I put Sam Strano behind the wheel of an Fbody with this type of torque and make it worth a damn? Surely, there is a way to build an Fbody to accomodate this type of power on a road course... right? I know there isnt any way to compare an fbody to a ZR1 vette, but that's the type of power that I want to make. I've just got to figure out what I would enjoy doing with it. There would be plenty of power for a drift car
if your willing to do the setup right, and it more than seems like you are, then i see no reason why you couldnt have both. the car will not shine in either respect but will be an all around performer. its amazing how a tire change and a boost controller will make a difference on what a turbo car is capable of doing. you wont be beating up on STi's on the road course and you wont be running down busa's at the strip but if your happy with it, thats all that matters IMO
if you have never been, id suggest giving auto-x or road racing (or drag racing) a try in your car as it sits and make decisions off that. you might be surprised how happy you are with it.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by subarubill96
if your willing to do the setup right, and it more than seems like you are, then i see no reason why you couldnt have both. the car will not shine in either respect but will be an all around performer.
I was thinking the same. I think I'll end up right down the middle, lol. I've gotten the opinions of several corner people, and several strait line people and I'm not sure I would really like either extreme. Maybe there will come a day when I turn it one full direction...

Hell keep the thread alive. If you've owned both, ridden in both, or owned a car from stock and built it to one extreme, then post up what you like and dislike about your current setup. I think we can all benefit from your input.

If I watch another damn episode of Pinks all out then I'll probably make a damn drag car out of it!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

X3. A lot of the guys at the local auto-x I've been to race mazda miatas. It seems like that would be a great way to learn to drive a car through the cones without steering with the throttle or make up for mistakes in straight segments. I considered getting one but driving a miata for a "play car" whenever I wasn't racing didn't really sit well with me so I got a 4th gen
Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking the same. I think I'll end up right down the middle, lol. I've gotten the opinions of several corner people, and several strait line people and I'm not sure I would really like either extreme. Maybe there will come a day when I turn it one full direction...

Hell keep the thread alive. If you've owned both, ridden in both, or owned a car from stock and built it to one extreme, then post up what you like and dislike about your current setup. I think we can all benefit from your input.

If I watch another damn episode of Pinks all out then I'll probably make a damn drag car out of it!!!
depending on your area, 9 out of 10 times a corner carver will be alot more enjoyable on the street than a drag car. adjustable suspension makes a world of difference but you will get to a point where you get to things that makes it not so fun to drive on the street. i honestly feel though at that point your getting pretty serious and would be much better off stepping up to a car better setup for doing RR/ AX
im kinda doing both with my T/A just not at the same time . long story short, im building my subaru to be a killer road race car but in the mean time im going to be running the T/A in some events since the car has most of the good stuff (Koni's, Strano bars, springs, and eventually a watts link) to have fun with. when and at times i think if the subaru is done, im changing the setup to a much more drag specific setup since thats the cars bread and butter. note that most likely both cars are going to be trailered to events so its going to the extreme on both sides. lol best of both worlds is buy 2 cars and go broke with 2 half finished cars
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoubleTapDrew
X3. A lot of the guys at the local auto-x I've been to race mazda miatas. It seems like that would be a great way to learn to drive a car through the cones without steering with the throttle or make up for mistakes in straight segments. I considered getting one but driving a miata for a "play car" whenever I wasn't racing didn't really sit well with me so I got a 4th gen
lol i have thought about miatas but i cant do the whole sissy car thing. let them hand me my ***, at least i can look good losing
Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well Kurt I hope your happy with yourself...Because of this thread I am seriously considering selling my car and buying a C5 Z06. If I had the money I probably already would have, cause I'm just an impusive/regret it later kind a guy. A corner carver Z06 sounds like a lot of fun on the streets and theres always roll racing lol
Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Isnt that the damn truth! Could you imagine being the proud owner of a hand built aluminum 427... I still say that for the money, the Fbody has the best bang for the buck. I paid $8500 for my car in 2005 with 60k miles on it! ... and because now its a 135k mile it would probably make more sense to just keep it... its paid off

I'd say I'd have much less in a watts-link, new engine, mwc rear, full suspension, blower, turbo, nitrous, and a flux capacitor than I would in a C5 vette. I'll stay Z28 just cause its cheaper!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

if your driving it on the street youll have alot more fun making it stop and handle.....
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by erollinc
if your driving it on the street youll have alot more fun making it stop and handle.....
Stopping has been some what of a delima for my plans. Id love to upgrade to take advantage of the CTSV calipers, but i can't stand the look of 18" wheels.

If you've ever been to Montgomery AL then you'll find a whole new respect for seeing a vehicle that has tires with more than a 1" tall sidewall.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Man, I just came home from the 1/8 track in Crossville, TN. No... I didn't take my car, lol, just drooled over the 5 and 6 second passes. If I had of been there in my car, then I would have been the only LS1, and the only manual car... and probably the only 8 second car lol... Yeah, you know what its like in the "i've never run my car so there's no telling how fast it is" class.

Anyway. Watching cars trigger the 60' lights with their back tires only is pretty bad ***. The only LS1 Fbody there had an SBC... for some reason... but had the most violent looking take offs, next to a turbo fox that had to keep lifting off the gas, but could float the front end at 100mph when he got back on it.

You see, this type of event sure does make me want to rip out some door bars...

Keep the comments, questions, stories, and experiences coming. If you've had both, a dedicated drag car and a full-on autox ride then please comment. Or, if you've built a pretty nimble street car but regularly take it to the drag strip, how does it do and do you want to change it any?

Who rocks both a set of 15s on the track and 17s for the street?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

imo canyon carver is the way to go. straight line cars are only fun when the road is straight! plus 600hp should get u movin regardless

Quick Reply: How did you pick between canyon carver and strait line?