General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What would you do?

So this fall I begin classes at the university downtown and its a 30-45 minute commute one way and traffic is always horrible (Sacramento,ca). I currently own a 98 Z28 and an 03 Acura rsx (m6). I have paid off the camaro but the acura I still owe like 9k on lol. I recently just got my camaro back to stock thinking I would use it to commute but now that I have been driving it for a few weeks I know it is not the type of car I want to put 300-400 miles a week on. Things to consider here are that the car needs some work. Its getting 18 mpg mixed city/hwy, has a cracked windshield, needs tires, alignment, rotattion and balance, and on top of that 175k miles. My acura i pay 250 a month on plus 150 insurance so basically 400 a month to own and drive my acura plus gas. It gets like 25-30 mpg. All i have to pay for the camaro is insurance which is 100/month plus gas. On top of paying for these cars I'm trying to pay for college alone and without out borrowing too much money. I am torn about which car I should drive to school and if it is worth it to keep the acura (car payment) if my camaro can make it through school without too much maintanence needed. Have you guys had any experience driving your high mileage ls1 like this and was it a pain in the *** for you or did prove to be worth it considering the car is paid off. The acura is very comfortable to drive and I would rather drive that thing 400 miles a week then the camaro. What would you do?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the Camaro, you wouldn't want to tear up your nice new car you are still paying for.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree. Sounds like $$ is your #1 concern and the beat-up Camaro is perfect for your commute as long as it is legal to drive. Bald tires and a cracked windshield are illegal most everywhere. The Camaro is worth next to nothing now so adding thousands of miles to it means nothing one or two years from now. It will still be worth the same. You will put some money into the Camaro but it will be worth it in the long haul. You will get hurt money-wise by putting those thousands of miles on the nicer car that you still own money on. If you absolutely hate the Camaro and don't want to put a dime into it, then that's another thing. Just dump it.