General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Share what you know, If everyone puts in a little things can happen

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009 | 06:49 AM

Default Share what you know, If everyone puts in a little things can happen

This goes out to all the LS1 fanatics that live and breath to hear their car rumble. I'm a tinker, I love to perfect methods to find an edge. So how is It I have to pay someone an obscene amount to tune my car? From experience I've found that know one will love your car like you do. So who best to take the real time to perfect the most important system. OBD2 has been out for too long to still hide behind the mystery curtain. I'm starting to put the time in to break the barrier between the computer nerd and gear head that hasn't been crossed yet. I've done with my computer some amazing things, and can't seem to find a reason why an open sourced tuning program hasn't been invented yet? So here is the Goal, Hack the OBD2 computer and make system that doesn't require a special school or dyno. Everyone post what you know and see what we can come up with?
Old 07-15-2009 | 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

You can buy HP tunners or EFI live and tune your self but your looking at around 600 bucks for those where as getting it dyno tuned is about 300-400.

Or are you talking about just having a cord to plug in and use your own computer and all that crap with out having to buy a program?
Old 07-15-2009 | 08:11 AM

Ok, The way I see is yeah the program is 600 for hptune that gives you 8 credits, a cable and the software. Now to tune another car you have pay 50 bucks a credit that is tracked by a vin. Ls-1 edit locks your system so it can only be tuned by the same person with the code. Here is EFI live that I know little on. But down to the wire, HP tuner is the top dog and is used by all the best. What I would like to hop on is something similar to hijackthis. Its a trojan and spyware program that is extremely powerful and best of all free. You scan the computer, do what you know and hen take the log it creates to a forum, almost everywhere fix your comp forum ask for 2 things, highjackthis log and malwarebytes log. They tell the pro everything he needs to fix that computer. So if you could find a way to decode the encryption from the ecm port to pull the codes and DTC's, Post them on and then have help in tuning without the use of a dyno or some program that keeps charging. Basically finding a way to make a free open source program that doesn't require anything but a laptop and 10 dollar obd2 to usb cable.
Old 07-15-2009 | 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

The ablity to pull codes from a vehicle is fairly simple it is the being able to rewrite the data in the computer and no knowing what parameter to change to make the car run betters is where it gets complicated. Also a dyno is not required to tune a car but it helps.

I really don't think you will be able to find anyone that is willing to spend the time creating tunning software capable to doing all the things that HPT or EFIlive does for free.

also the tuning software isn't what creates the good tune it is the knowledge from experience that give the tunner what he needs to know what work and doesn't work on cars and how to fix certian drivablilty issues.
Old 07-15-2009 | 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

You need a usb to vpw (J1850 protocol) adapter, not a $10 part, the HC58 chip alone costs $4.00 or so each.

Then you need to determine addresses for the parameters in the pcm (there are at least 20 different OS's for ls1 vehicles)

There are lots and lots of steps in this process, and I can tell you the cost of tuning software is worth it, if you have spent any time doing this (and that is all I have done for the last 5 years)

Ryan
Old 07-15-2009 | 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Make sure to add a feature that'll record the ECU data and be able to reflash it so someone can go back to stock after they **** up their fuel tables
I'd love to learn how to tune it myself but it looks overwhelming and I'm not ready to shell out $600 to try.