General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stolen Vehicle Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Vehicle Help!

To make a long story short, my grandpaws truck was stolen almost a week and a half ago. It was a '04 Sierra VHO (GMC version of the Vortec Max with the LQ9) that had a few things done to it like headers, exhaust, intake, etc. The transmission was slipping and I think (not sure since they just found it on the side of the rode) it went out on them. That, and I'm guess theres a few cut wires, broken column, etc. The insurance company was supposed to pay somewhere around 23k for it the end of this week or early next week. I was just wondering of any options we have. We would prefer not to get it back all together to be honest...He had his eye on a 06 Silverado SS Intimidator edition thats VERY nice. Unfortunately I don't think we have a choice unless the damage is over 75% of the value, which is hard to do...Anyway, and advise?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

I guess its completely up to the insurance company--besides the fact that you/grandpa pay them every month to protect your vehice- it still comes down to them; what they are willing to do. Either way i dont know what to tell you...Good luck
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are you insured with?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM

Check your local laws. Depending on the state, some have laws requiring an insurance company to pay total loss on any stolen vehicle. The law is there to protect the insured from unseen problems that may have been inflicted by the offender. Who knows what kind of stress the vehicle was put under during the theft? They could have redlined the hell out of it, which could cause premature failure in the future. If it was my vehicle, I would refuse to accept it. If they gave me trouble, I'd hire a lawyer. Bottom line is, they can not prove what sort of stress the vehicle endured while it was out of your possession.

Also, if the transmission did fail on them, that gives you even more leverage against returning the vehicle, and shows that the vehicle was indeed placed under undue stress. I wouldn't clue the insurance in on the fact that the transmission was slipping. You didn't sound too sure about it anyway, right?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

agreed^^ dont tell them it was slipping
Old 08-01-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

What slip? But yea, they don't know about that. We went to see it and almost nothing works what so ever. They completely fucked the eletrical system and where only about 5 miles from crossing into Mississippi, which might have changed the circumstances. The reason they ended up stopping was cause they got a flat and ended up riding on it for a while till they couldn't go anymore, then they just dumped it.