General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Please, tell me what the hell this tick is.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please, tell me what the hell this tick is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJXdi3uH4Y

Only happens after warm up.
Not all the time either.
Goes away once I get above 2k.

Lifter? Bent PR?
Valvetrain is stock as far as a know.
Has done this for a little while now.

I use GC0-W30.
-Matt
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey - Both my 99 z28 and my 00 ws6 make this sound. I work with a guy that was a GM Master tech and he said that they would have this problem come back even on new vettes (c5 at that time). What I do is get some AC Delco Top Soak Piston cleaner and use that. I get it at a mechanics disount and the dealer charged me 8.99. What you do is pull your spark plugs and pour a measured amount down into the cylinder and let it "soak". It breaks up the carbon on top of the pistons. Make sure you cycle the engine a couple time with the key before you put the plugs back in or you may Hydro-lock the engine. This works for me and it gets rid of that sound, till next year. I drive my cars maybe 2500 miles a year so they do a lot of sitting during the winter time. Not sure on your driving amount or your specific problem but it sounds almost like the same sound I have and this works for me. Hope this helps

Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 is about the same but starts when its cold, sounds like lifter-rocker tick to me. Seems the 02s were really bad for this.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for being an 02 thing. My 02 makes intermittent noise like this also when it's hot. Using GC 0w-30 too. Might try a little thicker oil on my next change.