General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need some help fixing my trans am

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help fixing my trans am

every now and then my car will act real sluggish like it doesnt want to go, but then goes away. my ses light is on because i gutted my cats and im just about ready to buy some o2 sims and i was wondering if that will fix my problem. the car acts like it is not getting the correct air/fuel ratio. i know the o2 sims make the ses light go away but will it fix the problem?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my thoughts:

- Install new plugs (NGK TR55's if you're naturally aspirated and not running nitrous).
- Change the fuel filter if you have a higher mileage car (cheap and always a good thing).
- Get the car to a professional and get it on a dyno. There is a ton of data that car be recorded to determine what is going on.
- Pull the codes and post them here for us. Go to Autozone if you can't pull them yourself. They will tell you what codes your computer is throwing. Then post them here.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^Iam with him. Also your rear O2 sensors do not effect performance. There job is to make sure the cats are doing there job. If they see they are not they set a code and thats all. The front could cause poor performance but only under normal drive condtions. So if your talking about the rears then no it wont fix it. Your better off haveing the rear O2 deleted as the sems somtimes fail.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW...if you're a bigger guy, a plug swap is a major PITA on LS1 fbodies. It would
be easier if you just had a shop do that too if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
The #8 plugs is a bitch if you have big hands/arms. It's easier to get to from the bottom
of the car.