General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

HELP!!!! Is my car on its last leg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP!!!! Is my car on its last leg?

So my car is in storage for quite awhile during the winter, and one daty i went in to start it nd let it run up to operating temp. and when i got back in it to rev it up a bit i notices it was idling low and funny (not lopey) nd my oil pressure was way low like 20 lbs lower than normal at an idle. When i reved it the pressure came up like normal but it still came back down too low nd still idled funny. and to top it all off when i reved it my odometer started racing and read greek(like there were no numbers just strange dashes nd lines). Any ideas on wht my issue is?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has been sitting maybe moisture condensed in the oil so change it ASAP and see what happens..
Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

My camaro did that when it sat for a long time... I charged the battery and it fixed the problem. Just a thought...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Well when i went to start it the battery was DEAD so i trickle charged it for about 4 hours than came back to it and started it and it ran just fine till i reved it than it started idling bad after i reved it.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

You probably have a junk battery, or a poor ground. Sounds directly related to the charging system.

They will act all sorts of crazy if they dont get correct voltage signals.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

my car did all kinds of FUNK when my battery died in the car after about 8 months of sitting...i finally got the thing to run good after a new battery...but I never had low idle and low oil p. but the hud was acting all kinds of funky .. good luck!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RSbeast
You probably have a junk battery, or a poor ground. Sounds directly related to the charging system.

They will act all sorts of crazy if they dont get correct voltage signals.
yeah but low oil pressure? unless the oil pressure guage is just a dummy gauge that its just not getting fed the correct voltage....

And that battery is not even a year old!! not saying that it was a quality battery but.... it still should last longer than a year you'd think
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your battery was dead enough and your car is trying to relearn the idle and tune. Not sure but It does sound electrical. Alternator?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

ok new issue! i started it again and it fired right up slow crank but it started. and i noticed a tick under the hood and the exhaust was making an odd popping noise. I turned the lights off and sure enough there was an arc in the top end towards the back, passenger side. I'm thinking plug/wire/coil. is there anyway to test which one is bad? and is this problem related to my poor idle and low oil pressure? Help!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car did something very similar once and has never done it since it idled at like 400 rpm and had no power, also it turned off my check engine light. it only did it once but i believe its due to a low battery or a bad ground because every once in a while my radio clicks off and loses power
Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Yes, it will affect all of your gauges as they all rely on a 12v system with a solid ground. Fix that arcing/grounding issue...the other **** will go away.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

also if the battery was dead the car will have to relearn its idle so get u a new battery and fix the arcing problem and that should do it
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

well it looked to me like it was arcing from the plug wire to the block. im thinkin bad connection at the plug might be a seprate issue but maybe you guys have had a experince that a new battery fixed that kind of arcing.