General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pulled my first ls motor today

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pulled my first ls motor today

A buddy of mine had bough a 05 GTO with known problems.He took it to a shop and had the bores scoped and the guy said it had cracked pistons,so we pulled the motor.It wasnt very hard at all.Disconnected the transmission and pulled it out the top.Wierd thing is,when we got it out and the heads off,there were no cracked pistons.There were some small wierd looking scratches on the pistons but no cracks.Also on the drivers bank,all of the exhaust valves were scorched.They were white as a sheet.And on the passenger bank a couple of pistons had what appeared to be hot spots.The car ran fine until above 3000rpm WOT.Anybody have any suggestions as to what was wrong with it?He has another motor on the way so its really no big deal.I am trying to get him to sell me the old motor or atleast the heads.Got 243's on it
Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was the motor sprayed, maybe runnign way lean?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

We suspected that maybe it had nitrous on it before.He in unsure of the history of the car.It has been beat on though.Only has 47k miles and its already had a new tranmission and is in need of another now along with the burnt up motor.I looked all in the interior and couldnt find anywere were a switch panel would have been.Its a pretty clean car though and he got a good deal on it even though it needs a new motor

EDIT:ALso the pcv system seem wierd to me.The nipple on the front of the intake is capped off.Are the ls2's supposed to be like that?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the car an auto? if it is the auto trannys are basically junk until theya re built. if im correct i think superchargers and/or turbos both modify the pcv system which would cause that to be different to you. maybe it had forced induction before and receieved a lot of detonation because of a bad tune or too much boost.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nope.crazy thing is,its a 6 speed.It very well could have been FI.Who knows.Theres alot of wierd things with the car.Ive just been trying to help him as much as i can and give him my opinion on things since i have been researching the lsx platform for about 4 years now and he knows literally nothing about them