General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Motor mounts gone bad? How to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mounts gone bad? How to tell?

I think my mounts are shot. Not sure though. How can you tell? My car drives great in town. No issues. When I take it out and go wot from 45mph, the car downshifts and has a flutter sound. Maybe the y pipe? If I stay on it, the car will get better the faster I go. It's just from 45 to 90 that has this issue.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being that you have an a4, have a friend power brake the car in drive and reverse. You should be able to see a difference between the two mounts.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayerized6
being that you have an a4, have a friend power brake the car in drive and reverse. You should be able to see a difference between the two mounts.
You mean look at the engine while a friend does this? Check to see how much it moves?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
You mean look at the engine while a friend does this? Check to see how much it moves?
yes. if it moves to far, youll know. you might also want to check the tranny mount
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Same thing..when I acclerated up 40 mph and, there was bad noise. I found out >>>

Best way you need lift up your Camaro up appx 2 ft at front. Go undercar and check on trans. mount.
If you have strong arms then do lift up-down and shake on trans mount, if there bad loose. You would know that mount rubber wear out and time to replace new one.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Same thing..when I acclerated up 40 mph and, there was bad noise. I found out >>>

Best way you need lift up your Camaro up appx 2 ft at front. Go undercar and check on trans. mount.
If you have strong arms then do lift up-down and shake on trans mount, if there bad loose. You would know that mount rubber wear out and time to replace new one.
So anyhthing over 40 you would get a niose? Mine does it around 45. I'll check the tranny mount in the morning. Give myself an extra work out. I'm a body builder! I was going to replace the mounts this winter anyways. Now I'm sure I'll have to. Thanks for the pics and info.

Quick Reply: Motor mounts gone bad? How to tell?